Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Getting .lit files on your 505 is easy.

Download, run through ConvertLit, convert in Calibre, load on 505. Read.

There's a lot of very helpful threads on how to do this, and it opens up your ebook selection and ability to price shop immensely, I've found.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezburger View Post
Gator, but I also am a Sony PRS 505 user, and I need my eBooks in Adobe pdf and epub, so again I find myself preferring BoB, as they always have the titles I want in the Secure Adobe formats I need for my Sony

(how are you getting those Secure MS Reader and eReader files on your Sony Device, I haven't tried this out yet)
I actually don't use my Sony, I use the Kindle exclusively. I have learned to "liberate" Mobipocket, eReader, and LIT files for use on the Kindle.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I added the same books to BooksOnBoard.

With Fictionwise:
106.81 - Total
68.80 - *Rebate (Added to your Micropay account)

With BooksOnBoard:
$123.14
$62.62 in rewards

Higher out of pocket cost and lower rewards. $38.01 vs. $60.52, or a difference of $22.51.

And these are books I wanted to read, not books I singled out because they would make the difference higher.

My Fictionwise membership was "free" - at least for a year. I paid $30 and I had $30 put in my Micropay account to use, AND I got a free book up to $10, so it was better than free.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
Cheezburger
Cheezburger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Not exactly. But since you don't want to do any calculating, I'm not surprised your calculations are incorrect.

Enjoy yourself at BoB. I'll be saving money at Fictionwise.
alas, after the beating the math whizzes on wall street gave me this week I can't afford to pony up the $30 just to shop at pay to join club prices so I will be unable to join you at ficw (I'm not a Doc, so I have to budget my eBook $)

however, you could also enjoy the 51% rewards back on your ebook purchases over at BoB with me and there is no cover charge if you want to shop there, sorry about the miscalcualtions, you lost me somewhere between I got a free $10 book and it took 3 months to get my money back on joining

BoB is 15% off list already for every new title released since Sept 15, across the board and again, I can buy one book to get to that, no need to give BoB $200 to get my savings

lit? convert? run through? I just want to buy and read a book in an easy to download format at a straightforward price that I don't have to get a calculator out to check and see what I'm paying....no thanks, I can't be re-programming things when I could be reading..
Cheezburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

It takes me less than 5 minutes to download, convert, and start reading....but perhaps that's too long for you, and I can totally appreciate that.

>I'm not a Doc, so I have to budget my eBook $

But if I didn't care about saving money, why would I even be in this thread?

There are a lot of threads here that have discussed Fictionwise and BoB pricing extensively. I read them, and made the best choice for me, which happens to be Fictionwise.

Happy reading, wherever you buy your ebooks from!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Cheezburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I actually don't use my Sony, I use the Kindle exclusively. I have learned to "liberate" Mobipocket, eReader, and LIT files for use on the Kindle.
can't use the Kindle at my place, hills block signal reception, love my Sony though
Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
GatorDeb
Evangelist

It takes me a minute or less per book to convert them. 8 books would be 8 minutes or less for $20+ difference. I don't know about you but I make less than $165 an hour, so that conversion is worth it for me ($20 difference for 8 minutes calculates to $165 for 60 minutes).

PS you can Kindle-ize your books without having a Kindle through Mobipocket, and then you can drag and drop those files to ProcessGroup's LRF converter... let's say another minute. So 16 minutes work while you watch TV for $20 savings.

PSS You don't need a connection to buy, download, transfer, and read your Kindle books.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezburger View Post
$30 bucks to join!? and then I get to buy books and qualify for rebates?

ficw 42.51 + 30.00 = 72.51
BoB 46.78 = 46.78
Nope, because you get 50% micropay rebate on the books. So, it would be:

$30 Club membership
+ $21 Ebooks (So, you buy half the books with cash, then the other half with the 50% off micropay.)
-----
$51 for $72 worth of eBooks.

But, in the future you get 15% of every book and you can get one more ($10) book free. So, if you subtract the $10 from the $51 out lay it cost your $41 and you get an extra free book.

Unless I totally misread the above messages or did my math wrong. Which is totally possible.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

$30 Club membership
+ $21 Ebooks (So, you buy half the books with cash, then the other half with the 50% off micropay.)
-----

But, in the future you get 15% of every book and you can get one more ($10) book free. So, if you subtract the $10 from the $51 out lay it cost your $41 and you get an extra free book.

Unless I totally misread the above messages or did my math wrong. Which is totally possible.

BOb
PLUS, they have periodic spells of free buyer's club membership (there was one about a month ago). Join then and you don't pay the $30 .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #25
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
With all this numbers I'm getting a headache
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
With all this numbers I'm getting a headache
There's something to be said about Amazon's buyers club. Just buy the Kindle and you get well discounted books. No math or rebates to figure out.

Even a monkey can understand it.

BOb
Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #27
PsyDocJoanne

It's funny how in these threads people always get all bent about having to think a little bit. I've done the math plenty of times, and Fictionwise almost always comes out ahead of BoB.

And honestly, you don't need math degree--or even a scientific calculator-- to figure this out. I guess if I didn't want to deal with the hoopla of any calculations whatsoever, I'd buy from BoB, too. But I would also realize I was paying a premium, most of the time, for not having to think.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
Cheezburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

$30 Club membership
-----

BOb

I'm new. so please bear with me, but the above is intended as humor correct?

I go to BoB, I register with an email address and a password, I buy an ebook that is already 15% off (and I get 51% back in Rewards dollars) I push the button on the download link and I then I drag and drop the title onto my device. I am done. I got more than half the cost back no strings attached.

No animals were harmed in the transaction, and I did not visit any websites for further instructions on how to do format conversions or 'liberate' my device.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #29
GatorDeb
Evangelist

And I say go for it and pay $20 more for the same 8 books! I'll be enjoying my cheaper books.

I'm going to do an experiment. I have all 44 books I've bought at Fictionwise.

30 secured eReader (PDB)
3 secured Microsoft Reader (LIT)
11 secured Mobipocket (PRC)

I have them all in one folder and I'm going to test how long it takes me to convert all 44. Mind you I'm watching TV while I'm at it. Starting at 10.05am PST.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
I guess if I didn't want to deal with the hoopla of any calculations whatsoever
...you would live in a cave and kill your own dinner with your bare hands.

But, there is something to be said about simple discount programs. As is said in _Don't Make Me Think_ (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...kstorenow57-20) a book about web site usablity... the easier your web site is to use, the more users will like it. The same must go for your discount program.

To me, the only bad part about the Fictionwise discount program is I can use my micro pay for a portion of the check-out and charge the rest to my cc or paypal.

BOb