Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm returning both the Boxee Box and the Roku. I like them both but in order to get one box to rule them all, I need a computer. I just ordered the Dell Zino. By using my union benefits, I got one with more bang for my buck than I could from the normal Dell site. It still costs a pretty penny but should last for many years because of the flexibility to upgrade software.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'm returning both the Boxee Box and the Roku. I like them both but in order to get one box to rule them all, I need a computer. I just ordered the Dell Zino. By using my union benefits, I got one with more bang for my buck than I could from the normal Dell site. It still costs a pretty penny but should last for many years because of the flexibility to upgrade software.
Yep, a computer is definitely the way to go. Right now, I'm using my netbook in the living room. I've considered the Zino, but so far my netbook is holding it's own.

Let's know how the Zino works out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #63
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yep, a computer is definitely the way to go. Right now, I'm using my netbook in the living room. I've considered the Zino, but so far my netbook is holding it's own.

Let's know how the Zino works out.
If my netbook had HDMI out or anything out, I would use it (Asus 1000HE). It's up on eBay right now to help fund a future tablet purchase.

I should receive the Zino around the 25th. It comes with a Blu-Ray drive, so I think my Blu-Ray player will be sold on eBay as well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've got a WD media streamer that I'm very happy with. Connects to the TV and plays all my music and video from either local USB hard disks or over the network. It works beautifully and is reasonably priced, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #65
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can do that with the Boxee Box but it's missing the premium services, NetFlix, Hulu+, VuDu (these are coming but they keep missing the delivery dates and I'm tired of waiting) or Amazon VOD. It has lots of cool apps and will play all kinds of media files but in order to cut the cord, I need the premium service. I'll be able to run the Boxee software on the Zino (the PC/Mac versions have the premium services).
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I can do that with the Boxee Box but it's missing the premium services, NetFlix, Hulu+, VuDu (these are coming but they keep missing the delivery dates and I'm tired of waiting) or Amazon VOD.
OK. None of those services are available in the UK, so I'm not bothered about them personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #67
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK. None of those services are available in the UK, so I'm not bothered about them personally.
Kathrine Tate just flashed before my eyes!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #68
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just read on Engadget that Boxee released an update to the box today that includes the VuDu player.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
So what does that get you? Link?

....Okay I googled and see that Vudu is a streaming movie service like netflix....

Last edited by kennyc; 01-20-2011 at 05:51 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #70
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
We just moved and we're down to $60 or so. 16 megabit cable internet ($35) + basic cable for $20 + cablecard/fees

The basic cable is a rip-off at $20. I'll swap it up for an antenna at some point...when it's a bit warmer outside and I can fiddle with getting the outdoor antenna working.

We use the Tivo + pytivo for streaming from my dedicated media server (which I have yet to put on the network at the new house...everything is very disorganized now). Can use the xbox or PS3 to stream also.

I've toyed with the HTPC idea - my old media server was a Shuttle K45 that has a dead motherboard now - when I get some funds I might try Boxee on it with a new miniITX board.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #71
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The basic cable is a rip-off at $20.
I agree completely with this. Basic cable should be no more than $10, including all taxes, fees, etc.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #72
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have not heard anyone talking about Roku or Blue Ray.

I still have Verizon Fios but 99% of my content comes through the internet portion of the package. My LG Blue Ray connects to the Fios internet and streams Netflix video, I also have DivX as part of the the blue ray thats streams approximatly 2000 TV stations off the internet so most of my TV programs come via DivX not Verizon TV.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #73
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have not heard anyone talking about Roku or Blue Ray.

I still have Verizon Fios but 99% of my content comes through the internet portion of the package. My LG Blue Ray connects to the Fios internet and streams Netflix video, I also have DivX as part of the the blue ray thats streams approximatly 2000 TV stations off the internet so most of my TV programs come via DivX not Verizon TV.
I recently got a Roku on an Amazon Gold Box deal. It does Netflix well. Personally I enjoy the music options because I hooked it up to my Yamaha A/V receiver and Polk Audio tower speakers and powered sub-woofer.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #74
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
We decided to give up our satellite soon after my daughter was born so we've been without for a little over 5 years now. We have an antenna that can pick up 3-4 over-the-air stations (NBC, Fox, and Sometime ABC and CBS). I also have a PC hooked up to my TV. In the beginning content was scarce. You had to find and download whatever you wanted to watch. These days, it's pretty easy to fire up the web browser and stream shows through places like Hulu. If you like SEC football, CBS has an online stream now. ESPN 3 also exists but it's streaming is terrible compared to how it worked back when it was ESPN 360. I really don't miss satellite. I've found is that we almost never watch reruns anymore and we don't make a habit of camping in front of the TV all evening like we did before but we still get quality programming.

As far as the home phone line goes, we recently dropped our home phone service down to a package that allows incoming calls and outgoing toll free and 911 calls but costs money for any other outgoing calls. Bundled with our 2M/512k DSL package, that runs us $46 per month total.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #75
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Well, I still have the Boxee Box and the Roku. I received a delay in shipment email on the Dell Zino and opted to cancel the order altogether. I'm going to try to upgrade some parts on my current desktop and turn it into a media server (I don't have any HDMI ports on it).

I've also come to the conclusion that I will not be able to ditch DirecTV at this time. I can't find an antenna solution for OTA HDTV that works in my condo (at least not at a price I'm willing to pay). I was able to get a $10 per month for discount for a year from DTV because I asked based on being a long time customer.