Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Chuckels550
Chuckels550 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Desktop and Kobo not communicating

I have Calbre installed on a Win7 64 bit OS desktop and use it to manage ebook files on a Kobo. I have a malformed database according to the error messages in calibre.

My Kobo still works and the files on the device are still accessible through the Kobo; however, the Calibre desktop cannot see the files on the Kobo and has nothing as marked as sent to the Kobo or to the SD Card A on the Kobo, but all of the ebooks in the library are listed. The desktop cannot send files to the Kobo.

I can access the files on the Kobo through Windows Explorer, so the USB connection is active and working.

I have uninstalled Calibre and re-installed it, but no change. How do I fix it so that the desktop and Kobo can transfer files between them again.
Chuckels550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to post the full error message
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Chuckels550

Error messages as requested

I had to use the reset on the Kobo to get it working, this morning.

Right now when I try to open Calibre with the Kobo attached:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

If I try to use send to device

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 260, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1281, in books_uploaded
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 344, in add_books_to_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 312, in add_books_to_metadata
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

My reader has 300+ ebooks on it and when I go to Reader or the card, Calibre lists nothing.

On the Kobo, I tried opening an ebook that I was reading and nothing. However, I can open other ebooks that are not being read.

Last edited by Chuckels550; 07-28-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like your Kobo is having problems. Still open a ticket on the calibre website under Kobo support and Tim (the guy who wrote the Kobo driver) may be able to advise you further.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckels550 View Post
I had to use the reset on the Kobo to get it working, this morning.

Right now when I try to open Calibre with the Kobo attached:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

If I try to use send to device

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 260, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1281, in books_uploaded
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 344, in add_books_to_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 312, in add_books_to_metadata
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

My reader has 300+ ebooks on it and when I go to Reader or the card, Calibre lists nothing.

On the Kobo, I tried opening an ebook that I was reading and nothing. However, I can open other ebooks that are not being read.

Hi

I just tried the latest version on Linux and it works fine for my latest firmware version Kobo. Can you try running "calibre-debug -g" from the command line and see if something is failing when it attempts to open the database. I may have to send you a driver with extra debugging.

You seem to mention that the kobo may be having trouble opening a book. That may indicate device/database issues.

I am on vacation which means that I have less time than normal (strange isn't it).

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Chuckels550

Pooched it further

The Kobo started displaying a limited selection of the ebooks actually loaded by Calibre. Then the device showed multiple copies of ebooks I had removed - like 20 or more copies. Then the device showed multiple copies of something called Redemption and wouldn't open anything that was bookmarked before the pooch.

Well I tried removing the ebooks using windows explorer and then re-upgrading the Kobo device. I now have an empty Kobo. Unlike some, I want my 100 classics. I gave up and called support for Kobo. They are sending me an RMA package so that I can send them the device to fix or replace.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckels550 View Post
Well I tried removing the ebooks using windows explorer and then re-upgrading the Kobo device. I now have an empty Kobo. Unlike some, I want my 100 classics. I gave up and called support for Kobo. They are sending me an RMA package so that I can send them the device to fix or replace.

Hi

Kobo is awesome with the rma. I had to return one and they shipped the replacement to me the same day that the courier delivered my old one to them. Including the time to send me the kit, I had a new kobo back in my hand in about three days.

I will close the calibre bug as a probable device issue.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote