Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
hecq
Enthusiast
hecq began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Polish characters display on Mini

Hi all,

I bought a Mini for my girlfriend as a present. She enjoys reading books in Polish and was using her Galaxy S2 up until now as an eReader.

We are using Calibre to convert the txt books to ePub.

In the txt, the Polish signs are there and we had to tweak the encoding option of Moon Reader for Android to have it display Polish signs correctly.

When transferring ePub books with Calibre onto the Kobo, the Polish signs are all screwed up. Same thing transferring the txt file.
The Polish signs show up either as ? or a black bar or sometimes other foreign signs, but not the correct ones.

Are we missing something? The signs are definitely in the charset because it shows eastern europe signs sometimes (like š or ł) but in the wrong order and in the wrong spot.

Thanks for your help!
hecq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not all of the Kobo fonts contain all the characters. Try selecting the GothicMB101 font as I believe it contains more glyphs than others do.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
cf. this post for a list of appropriate fonts.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
hecq
Enthusiast

Thanks, most of the character are fine now by changing the font.

However, for some reason I cannot fathom, ś and ę won't display properly. All the other Polish signs are fine, just these two are problematic.
In the original txt file I can see them without any problem.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
hecq
Enthusiast

Ok, found the problem. I had to set encoding to cp1250 in Calibre and chose the appropriate fonts on the reader.

Only 3 work for Polish glyphs: Georgia, Kobo Nickel and Gothic MB101.

Tags
encoding, polish