Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
How to create packages for Kindle w/ firmware 2.3

Hi

I have updated the packager to creates custom firmware for the Kindle with version 2.3.

I'm assuming that with firmware 2.3 ; both the original Kindle 2 and Kindle 2 DX now require signed packages just like the Kindle 2 International; and none of the existing packages will now install properly.

The packager can be found here:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/packager-0.7.tgz

Note that the options format has changed.

To create a package for firmware 2.3 you do:
./kindle_update_tool.py m --k2 --sign --ex name files ...

I've repackaged the screensaver hack ; for the DX, Kindle 2 International and Kindle 2: there:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/scree...ack-0.1.tar.gz

Last edited by jyavenard; 11-26-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Updated packager to 0.7 (works on Windows)
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
eSach
eSach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx, Sony eReader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post

The packager can be found here:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/packager-0.6.tgz

Note that the options format has changed.

To create a package for firmware 2.3 you do:
./kindle_update_tool.py m --k2 --sign --ex name files ...

[/url]
Hi jyavenard,

Can you create UFH (Georgia font) package for Dx V 2.3 ?
Thanks
eSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
reflog
reflog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Unicode hack 2.3 on kindle 2

Hi JYA,
Thanks for you work on the Kindle 2 hacking, way to go!
Could you please post instructions on using the latests packager to prepare a image for Kindle based on 2.3 firmware + cyrillic font hack?

Thanks in advance,
Reflog
reflog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Assuming there are no differences with how the fonts are stored between the Kindle 2 International 2.2 and 2.3 (from the few reports out there, it's the case)

You'd do something like:
#First extract the package for the Kindle 2 International
./packager-0.6/kindle_update_tool.py e update_ufh_droid_install-k2i.bin

#Extract the content
tar zxvf update_ufh_droid_install-k2i.bin.tgz

This creates the following file:
Code:
$ tar zxvf update_ufh_droid_install-k2i.bin.tgz
x install-droid.sh.sig
x install-droid.sh
x droid.ttf.sig
x droid.ttf
x update_ufh_droid_install-k2i.dat
#Remove all the files you don't need anymore
rm *.sig *.dat *.tgz

#Recreate the package
#For Kindle 2:
./packager-0.6/kindle_update_tool.py m --k2 --sign --ex ufh_droid_install-k2 install-droid.sh droid.ttf

#For Kindle DX:
./packager-0.6/kindle_update_tool.py m --dx --sign --ex ufh_droid_install-dx install-droid.sh droid.ttf

That's about it ...
Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
reflog

Talking

Excellent, thank you very much!
Two questions:
1. i understand that i should uninstall previous unicode hack before updating. should I after that install a regular 2.3 image and THEN install the package that I create using your instructions?
2. if i understood (1) correctly, then how does it work, since 2.3 now requires signed updates...

Thanks in advance
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflog View Post
Excellent, thank you very much!
Two questions:
1. i understand that i should uninstall previous unicode hack before updating. should I after that install a regular 2.3 image and THEN install the package that I create using your instructions?
2. if i understood (1) correctly, then how does it work, since 2.3 now requires signed updates...

Thanks in advance
Yes...
Uninstall everything first ; update to 2.3 ; then install the custom packages

Re: 2; the packager takes care of everything for you ; you don't need to worry about signing the packages.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
reflog

Ok, got it.
I'll install the packages tonight, and report here on success/failure of the experiments. Wish me luck

And once again,thanks for you hard work and support!

P.S. at least on windows, there is a bug in the packager code (line 161), you use tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile() which returns a new file handle. then you call tarfile.open(tgz_fname.name,"w:gz") which tries to open the same file for writing. this fails.
i've added tgz_fname.close() before that as a work around, so it works now.

Last edited by reflog; 11-25-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
jyavenard
Zealot

I've repackaged the Droid and Liberation UFH from http://blogkindle.com/2009/10/unicod...national-too/:

http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/ufh-kindle2.3.tar.gz

Not tested ...
Can't think what could be wrong though ...
Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
FaerieFire
FaerieFire doesn't litterFaerieFire doesn't litter

Just wanted to report success with the revised/updated package with 2.3 and the screensaver hack. I removed the 2.03 with the screensaver hack, did the update to 2.3 manually and then applied the new package linked above (for K2US in my case) and it all works! No need to remove your custom screensaver images -- they just carry right over, and you get all the new features of 2.3, too.

Thanks so much for the quick work! Nice not to be deprived of the new features just to keep my custom screensavers.
FaerieFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
nicolasavru
nicolasavru began at the beginning.

Reporting that jyavenard's repackaged unicode hack works on the Kindle 2 (not tested on 2i or DX).
nicolasavru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSach View Post
Hi jyavenard,

Can you create UFH (Georgia font) package for Dx V 2.3 ?
Thanks
Done! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=41

Please post your results, thanks!
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
eSach

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
Done! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=41

Please post your results, thanks!
Hi edge777,

the UFH works very well on DX V 2.3 . Thank you !

The old Geogia font for DX V2.1 was a bit darker (in my opinion). Please have a look at the attached, if you have time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle_georgia_fonts_install.zip (3.97 MB, 786 views)
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
eSach

Quote:
I've repackaged the Droid and Liberation UFH from http://blogkindle.com/2009/10/unicod...national-too/:

Not tested ...
Both Droid and Liberation UFH are working fine for DX version 2.3.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
New packager is nicely written but doesn't seem to work on windows. File sharing problems arise because temporary files can't be shared so they can't be written to.

I'm trying to fix the problem right now
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #15
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
I've got a problem with my Kindle 2 US.

I uninstalled the previous font hack, updated to 2.3. Everything fine. Installed the Droid font hack referenced below. Everything looked good.

Like a fool I said "Let's see what the Liberation font looks like". So I installed the liberation font. Note that I did not uninstall first. The font looked terrible. Very small and faint. Worse than the original font. So I uninstalled. Everything looked like normal default Kindle.
Then I reinstalled the Droid. The Droid san-serif font is there but it's very faint and looks alot like the standard font without serifs. Several restarts, uninstalls, reinstalls later, I'm in the same place. After an uninstall, everything looks like standard Kindle (I have a second kindle so it's easy to compare).

So here I am, stuck with the standard font. I'd love to be able to re-install the 2.3 update but the kindle just ignores it when I copy it to the root folder.

Any ideas on a fix? Is there a way to force the 2.3 update to reinstall? A way to fix what's there now?

Help!!!

Thanks,

Quote:

Not tested ...
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote