Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
kojak666
kojak666 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will Sony 300 play well with Linux?

I'm thinking about buying the new sony pocket reader when it is released. My big concern is being able to purchase download and install titles without using a windows machine. (I suppose I could use virtualbox to run a winxp window, but that seems cumbersome and annoying) would it show up as a usb drive and I could then copy files over, or how is it likely to work? Or could I purchase titles from the sony store and then use Calibre to install them. Anyone have any tips or other things I should be thinking about?
If the sony wouldn't work well could I get the opus and still get books from the sony store and use that instead? my main criteria are 5' screen so as to be pocketable (a bit smaller would be even better, but I'm not hung up on it), ability to purchase new releases for $10ish and ability to work without windows.

Thanks,
Phil
kojak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 300 itself will work well with Linux. I'm guessing that once Sony's shop changes to ePub it would only play well with Linux if there is a Linux version of ADE. If there is no ADE for Linux, then you'll need Windows for any device that supports DRMed ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 300 itself will work well with Linux. I'm guessing that once Sony's shop changes to ePub it would only play well with Linux if there is a Linux version of ADE. If there is no ADE for Linux, then you'll need Windows for any device that supports DRMed ePub.
But only once, to register the device. Once the device has been registered, you no longer need ADE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You still need ADE to download DRMed books.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You still need ADE to download DRMed books.
No you don't. We've been through all this before . See post #35 onwards in this thread.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-17-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added link to previous discussion.
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Interesting. I thought ADE needs to authenticate with the servers to download the book. If not, that's great!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm from what I recall you can't use the acsm file alone to download the book.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Even if that is true (and I've no personal experience of whether or not it is), apparently ADE runs fine under WINE, so there's no problem using it under Linux.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE rus fine under WINE, except for the DRM book download part.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ah - I didn't know that . Thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
RichieV
RichieV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi all. First time poster here I've been lurking for awhile and appreciate all the useful information that's been made available by MobileRead's user community.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that using Ubuntu 8.10 and GNOME, I've been able to run ADE under Wine and authorize it with Adobe. Also, I've been able to successfully download DRM'd epub books that I've purchased from Books On Board by following these steps:
  1. Download and save the acsm file after you purchase your book.
  2. Open ADE under Wine.
  3. Find the downloaded acsm file and drag it into the open ADE window.
After doing that, ADE downloads the epub, then ADE adds whatever bit of information to the epub so that it works with your ADE account, and then ADE finally saves it in the My Digital Editions folder in the /home/useraccount directory (or whichever directory you've specified for 'My Documents' under Wine) and opens the book for you to read.

You can then take that epub and copy it into your Sony Reader (and I assume to any other ADE-recognized reading device) that's been registered to your ADE account and start reading. Also, you can import that epub into Calibre. In Calibre, you won't be able to read the book, but you can add metadata such as tags so that you can put it into a collection for your Sony Reader.

What I have not been able to do in Linux is find a way to authorize your Sony Reader with Adobe. ADE under Wine doesn't seem to recognize that I've plugged it in. Nor is it recognized if I run ADE under Windows XP in VirtualBox. So, to authorize my Sony Reader, I had to use a Windows computer.

Well, I think that's all I can say. Hopefully it will be of some help

--Richard
RichieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Good to know. Sad about the authorizing.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm from what I recall you can't use the acsm file alone to download the book.
I just validated HarryT's claim.

The ACSM file is a textfile with the URL of the PDF or ePub. Just point your browser to the URL in the ACSM file and it will download the book. It did download the correct eBook.

The one thing I have not tried is to download the eBook on a pristine purchase e.g before downloaded the eBook with ADE. There might be some authentication there but I don't know.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieV View Post
Hi all. First time poster here I've been lurking for awhile and appreciate all the useful information that's been made available by MobileRead's user community.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that using Ubuntu 8.10 and GNOME, I've been able to run ADE under Wine and authorize it with Adobe. Also, I've been able to successfully download DRM'd epub books that I've purchased from Books On Board by following these steps:
  1. Download and save the acsm file after you purchase your book.
  2. Open ADE under Wine.
  3. Find the downloaded acsm file and drag it into the open ADE window.
After doing that, ADE downloads the epub, then ADE adds whatever bit of information to the epub so that it works with your ADE account, and then ADE finally saves it in the My Digital Editions folder in the /home/useraccount directory (or whichever directory you've specified for 'My Documents' under Wine) and opens the book for you to read.

You can then take that epub and copy it into your Sony Reader (and I assume to any other ADE-recognized reading device) that's been registered to your ADE account and start reading. Also, you can import that epub into Calibre. In Calibre, you won't be able to read the book, but you can add metadata such as tags so that you can put it into a collection for your Sony Reader.

What I have not been able to do in Linux is find a way to authorize your Sony Reader with Adobe. ADE under Wine doesn't seem to recognize that I've plugged it in. Nor is it recognized if I run ADE under Windows XP in VirtualBox. So, to authorize my Sony Reader, I had to use a Windows computer.

Well, I think that's all I can say. Hopefully it will be of some help

--Richard
Hi Richard, welcome to mobileread. And great first post!

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I just validated HarryT's claim.

The ACSM file is a textfile with the URL of the PDF or ePub. Just point your browser to the URL in the ACSM file and it will download the book. It did download the correct eBook.

The one thing I have not tried is to download the eBook on a pristine purchase e.g before downloaded the eBook with ADE. There might be some authentication there but I don't know.

=X=
I did use the URL in the ACSM file to download the epub. And while it sort of seemed to work, it didn't really work. ADE was unable to open the book. It said the download was incomplete. So using the ACSM file to download from without ADE does not actually work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, prs-300, sony e-reader