Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
ashadocat
ashadocat began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
USB master

is the hardware capable of being a master usb drive? could I theoretically attach a usb keyboard to it and (assuming I had the software) it would work?
ashadocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No - slave only. The only eBook reader I'm aware of which can be used as a USB master is the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Theoretically, depends on many factors.
1. Hardware design that able for the function, Memory need for device drivers
2. OS support, if they allow you to do.
3. Information that is enough for development.
4. Time and Need, that drives someone to do.

KENG
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Aside from keng2000's very good points, I would very much doubt the Sony USB implementation is able to send power out of the bus to actually power these USB devices.

All in all I'd say Sony's implementation is a bit of a kludge - WTF is up with a device that needs to see an actual host computer before starting to charge over USB?

In a nutshell, I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening, ever.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The PRS-700 has a "NXP ISP1504 Hi-Speed USB OTG 2.0 Tranciever", see Igorsk's PRS-700 main board front.

USB OTG is "On-The-Go", it defines a dual-role device, which can act as either a host or peripheral, and can connect to either a PC or other portable devices through the same connector. OTG hosts are only required to provide a small amount of power, which may not be enough to connect to a non-OTG peripheral.

I think this means that the "hardware" part of the equation is there for attaching a keyboard to the PRS-700, but I don't see software support being likely unless OpenInkPot (say) is ported to the PRS-700.

OTG is now relatively common, but I don't know if it is on the older PRS-505.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The PRS-700 has a "NXP ISP1504 Hi-Speed USB OTG 2.0 Tranciever", see Igorsk's PRS-700 main board front.

OTG is now relatively common, but I don't know if it is on the older PRS-505.

It appears the 505 has the Epson S1R72V17 USB2 controller.
(from Igor's 505 disassembly set)

I do not think that is OTG [specs]
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
This is a good discussion point.
Actually, I have a group of students working for me for small eReader using Kent display (2levels ZeroPowerLCD). (we succeed on propietary sw years ago with Text format)
I should give them to research on this too.
One smart USB controller is Vinculum chip.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
S1R72V17 supports host mode, but I don't know if it can be enabled without modifying the circuitry. It will definitely need updating the USB driver.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote