Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #1741
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm listening to Dark of Night - Flesh & Fire, Jonathan Maberry, narrated by the same guy he uses for his Rot & Ruin and Joe Ledger series. That guy really makes the books come alive. This one is short, so I'm glad it's in Overdrive. SO good!

Ray Porter, that's the narrator. I need to see what else he reads.

Last edited by booklover6; 07-13-2016 at 08:20 AM.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #1742
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Just finished Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr 1st in the Anna Pigeon series I'd seen this series mentioned a few times in this forum and finally got around to giving it a try. So glad I did as I really enjoyed the first one I love discovering a new series which already has a good number of books in it The narration by Barbara Rosenblat was excellent.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #1743
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad by M.T. Anderson (read by the author). It was a freebie from AudiobookSYNC. M.T. Anderson is a children's author, but this is hardly a children's book in my mind. What a time for the residents of St. Petersburg/Leningrad to live through. Invaded by Nazis bent on their annihilation immediately after the madman Stalin's reign of terror had purged their armed forces of their brightest and best soldiers and officers. Starvation was rampant, and the things people were forced to do to live shocking. A very intense book.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #1744
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Alliance of Equals

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Just finished Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr 1st in the Anna Pigeon series I'd seen this series mentioned a few times in this forum and finally got around to giving it a try. So glad I did as I really enjoyed the first one I love discovering a new series which already has a good number of books in it The narration by Barbara Rosenblat was excellent.
It's been years since I read one of the Anna Pigeon books. I really enjoyed the early ones, then sort of went off them. Might be time to try one again. (And yes, I'm sure the Rosenblat narration was excellent. I've always been impressed with her work.)

Meanwhile, I'm listening to the Audible release of Alliance of Equals from Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. The narration is by Kevin T. Collins, and it's no better than so-so. I'd have been REALLY annoyed with it if I hadn't quickly discovered that it works just fine at 1.25% speed. Mr. Collins doesn't have a great voice differentiation, but it hasn't been a big issue in this book--I've had no issues keeping track of who is speaking.

The book itself is wonderful, moving the various story arcs covered forward to useful places. It does not do anything for the Theo/Bechimo arc, that will have to wait until the next book. But the Daav/Alliana, Hazenthull/Tolly Jones/Tocohl, Padi/Shan, and to a lessor extent the Surebleak story arcs are all moved along well. There's a log going on, with 4 main story arcs involved, but Mr. Collins does a good job of pacing to let you know when the focus has changed. (Again, assuming you're listening at 125%!)

I finished the book wanting more. But that's hardly surprising, I always want more Liaden Universe. So, 5 stars for the book, with only 3 stars for the narration.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #1745
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished up Weber and Zahn's A Call to Arms. Book II of the Manticore Assent series. It's basically a Young Adult series. A read the book back when it first came out and just got around to the audiobook. It's a pretty good book and the reader is pretty good.

Just started on the next Weber Safehold book (#6), Midst Toil and Tribulation. Once again, I've read all the ebooks as they came out, but just getting around to listening to the audio books. This is a long one (28 hours), so it's going to take a while. I've been working from home for the last couple of months so my listening time has dropped quite a bit, as has my gas bill.

Weber's Safehold series suffers from that great bane of long series, different readers for different books. The first two were read by one of my favorite readers, Oliver Wyman. The next two by Jason Culp who wasn't bad, then the last book by Charles Keating, who was different, this book by Kevin Collins (so far, so good, though I just started) and the next two goes back to Oliver Wyman. The issue isn't so much that any of them were bad, but that they are all different with different voices.

My to be listened to list is so long now, I'm trying to hold off buying new audio books until I whittle the list down a bit, but I noticed that Tad Williams' The Dragonbone Chair, the first of his classic Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series just hit audio book. I've put it on my wish list.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #1746
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
I just finished *reading* this book, and also loved it! A friend had suggested it. I read #18 first, since it was on sale for the Kindle. Loved that, and decided to start at the beginning -- so I went to eBay and found a batch of 10 of them, though not completely in order. I'll have to shop again to find the missing ones.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #1747
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
How old is the main character (Anna?) in this series? I have a hard time with Rosenblat when she's reading young characters. I like when she's mostly reading middle-aged/older characters.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #1748
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thirty something? I'll go home and look (it's easier on paper than audio, I suspect).

added: old enough to have been married for several years, lost her husband, and to now be 10 years out from that loss.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #1749
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
How old is the main character (Anna?) in this series? I have a hard time with Rosenblat when she's reading young characters. I like when she's mostly reading middle-aged/older characters.
She's 39 I don't recall listening to Rosenblat before but thought she was perfect for this. As always it helps to accept the narrator if you are enjoying the story.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #1750
melmac
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I just finished *reading* this book, and also loved it! A friend had suggested it. I read #18 first, since it was on sale for the Kindle. Loved that, and decided to start at the beginning -- so I went to eBay and found a batch of 10 of them, though not completely in order. I'll have to shop again to find the missing ones.
I'm doing them on audio strangely number 3 and 5 are missing from audible so I had to find another source. So far I've only listened to the first one but have 2-5 ready to go.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #1751
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

#2 (paper form) mentions that the marriage was 7 years long. Book #1 said it was 10 years ago. I guess it also mentioned her age; I had forgotten that! Thanks, Melmac.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #1752
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thanks, badgoodDeb and melmac. That sounds an acceptable age for Rosenblat. I listened to one of the Jane Castle "futuristics" - motorcycle-riding, wise-cracking, leather-clad heroine. Rosenblat was just *wrong* for that character. I've still never finished that book. Gonna have to actually read those, if I want to find out where they go.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #1753
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just finished The Woman in Cabin 10, by Ruth Ware. This was great fun, with an old-fashioned vibe (e.g., The Lady Vanishes, manor-house mysteries). Lo, a travel journalist on the maiden voyage of a small cruise ship, hears a scream and what sounds like a body being dumped overboard from the cabin next door, but that cabin wasn't booked, no one is missing, and she can't make anyone believe that she'd earlier talked with a woman in that cabin.

Imogen Church was the narrator, and except for the mercifully brief passages when she tried to render the Brooklyn accent of the heroine's boyfriend (ouch!), she seemed to do a fine job (though I don't know if the Scandinavian accents would have been correct for those attuned to such voices; to my ear they sounded accurate enough).

The Woman in Cabin 10 was a thoroughly enjoyable book that I definitely recommend.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:36 AM   #1754
melmac
Wizard

Finished A Superior Death by Nevada Barr I'm really enjoying the character and scenery in these books. I find myself googling locations as they are not familiar to me, this can be difficult when you are listening to an audiobook as you have no idea how it should be spelt

Next up Invisible Prey by John Sandford, I'm 15 minutes in and already excited as they have mentioned Virgil Flowers! I'm a big fan of Virgil and I hope he makes a significant appearance.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #1755
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm currently listening to Lightless by C.A. Higgins (narrated by Fiona Hardingham). It was a Penguin/Random House freebie that so far has shown itself to be worthy. It's a science fiction tale set in a future in which all planets of the solar system have been colonized and run in big brother style from Earth.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations