Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I returned it

Somewhat sadly, I returned my recently purchased PRS-505 to Target.

After reading on it for a while, I found that the inverse flashing didn't bother me too much, nor did the somewhat slow paging. Using a larger font, I didn't even mind the screen size. What really killed it for me was the low contrast of the screen. In very bright light, the screen looks great. The thing is, I don't like reading under a flood light.

Right now, I am sitting in a room that has more than enough light to read a paper book without effort. This was still not enough light to give sufficient contrast on the Sony for me to read without some effort.

If it wasn't for the contrast issue, I would definitely have kept the Sony. I liked the form factor, light weight and very good epub rendering.

Oh well, here's hoping that the next generation eInk or other technology will solve this problem. Back to reading on the netbook.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
So sad you had to return your Sony

I've had mine since Christmas and love it. Are you sure that you didn't have a bad screen? I've not had a problem reading mine in lower than paperback needed lighting.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
That's very strange... Generally, if you have to struggle to read in your eink ereader, then you would have to do the same with your pbooks (except compared to those with bleached white paper in hardbacks or certain magazines).

Anyway, you should only read with a good light source. I'm not saying a flood light, but you should be near the light source. No dim rooms or whatever. That's common sense since paper writting exists.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Had you considered getting the Sony cover with the build in side light? I read fine on my Sony with ambient light but lots have found the Sony cover very useful. Details here

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665480080
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Are you sure that you didn't have a bad screen? I've not had a problem reading mine in lower than paperback needed lighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
That's very strange... Generally, if you have to struggle to read in your eink ereader, then you would have to do the same with your pbooks (except compared to those with bleached white paper in hardbacks or certain magazines).
These were both my thoughts too. The screen on the 505 picks up ambient lighting and diffuses it across the screen really well. I can comfortably read it in low light situations where I wouldn't be able to read a pbook.

Maybe a 700 with the built in lighting would be better for you?
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
I have used mine in very low light rooms (too lazy to turn anything on) and have yet to find a place that affected my reading.

it's too bad it did not work for you but you might want to consider the bad screen thingy
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
My 505 is also harder to read in very low light conditions than paper books. Unfortunately 505s aren't for sale in my country so I can't compare with another 505 in a shop and shipping it to Sony for a replacement and then possibly finding out that it works as intended is kind of expensive.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Had you considered getting the Sony cover with the build in side light? I read fine on my Sony with ambient light but lots have found the Sony cover very useful. Details here

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665480080
I just got my 505 along with with cover/lightwedge a few nights ago and read last night without any trouble at all. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical when looking at the device with light under normal daylight conditions, but in bed last night I had not a bit of a problem...and I am SO PICKY when it comnes to light and conditions (drives me crazy if I even have a eyelash hair on the page). It was an absolute pleasure to read in bed again!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Somewhat sadly, I returned my recently purchased PRS-505 to Target.

After reading on it for a while, I found that the inverse flashing didn't bother me too much, nor did the somewhat slow paging. Using a larger font, I didn't even mind the screen size. What really killed it for me was the low contrast of the screen. In very bright light, the screen looks great. The thing is, I don't like reading under a flood light.

Right now, I am sitting in a room that has more than enough light to read a paper book without effort. This was still not enough light to give sufficient contrast on the Sony for me to read without some effort.

If it wasn't for the contrast issue, I would definitely have kept the Sony. I liked the form factor, light weight and very good epub rendering.

Oh well, here's hoping that the next generation eInk or other technology will solve this problem. Back to reading on the netbook.
Maybe a reader like the Jetbook would work better for you (I think the 505 has a great screen).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
FolkGuitar
FolkGuitar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hello!
Sorry that you didn't like your Sony. I wonder if it wasn't just that particular unit as mine is very easy to read in low light conditions.
FolkGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #11
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I am thinking about a Jetbook. As to whether the screen was defective, I don't think so. I saw a Sony 500 on display in another store a while back. The store display was dimly lit and the contrast was rather poor. I took a chance on a 505, thinking that the screen was better. It may be, but to my eyes, the low-light contrast just isn't good enough. As I said, in bright light it is very readable. If it hadn't been for that issue, I would have kept the 505.

I did contemplate a booklight or lightwedge. Not only didn't I want to spend more money, but I felt that I shouldn't have to, just to make the device readable in average lighting.

I know many people love there eInk readers and have no problem with the contrast. I'm sure that this is somewhat subjective. For me, it just wasn't good enough.

Last edited by jgray; 05-25-2009 at 01:28 AM.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
My 505 is also harder to read in very low light conditions than paper books.
I found my Reader (505) to be pleasant to read yesterday, lying in the hammock and enjoying a day of cool temperatures and bright sunshine (until the afternoon thunderstorms struck). Perhaps it does vary unit to unit.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are variations between units, but EInk does have an intrinsically lower contrast than (say) a paperback book. In low light conditions this can be mitigated by increasing the font size, but the PRS-505 only has 3 font sizes. Another strategy is to use a heavier font, see Font Family should help Contrast. This is again not as easy to do on the Sony Readers as some other devices. On the other hand, if you produce your own ebooks the Sony's give you complete control over the font and its size.

What I do on my EZ Reader using OpenInkPot is turn on "always bold", which significantly increases the apparent contrast between the letters and the background at the expense of no bold for emphasis.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Even though I am generally happy with my new 505, I must also admit that I am a bit dissapointed of the contrast in low light conditions.
In bright daylight, the contrast is good and it is as if the background is almost white, but in in low light conditions the background is gray, and it is harder on the eyes than a normal paperback.
Unfortunately I'm in the same situation as "Who are you?". The device is not for sale in my country, so I ordered it from the US, so I'm not able to compare it with other 505's.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I might go to the store where I purchased the 505& cover/lightwedge and see if they'll let me take the 700 into a darker stockroom and compare it to the 505 with wedge. Other wise I might just return the cover/lightwedge and use the old-but clear lightwedge I have already.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote