Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well one thing I noticed is that Rob Pegoraro wrote about the Kindle in the Washington Post last December. The NPR story is pretty recent and he still hasn't figured out where the search button is in 7 months. I don't know if I trust him as a writer. It doesn't seem like he really uses the Kindle.

Edit: His Kindle was a loaner so he hasn't used one since December, which still makes him one of the worst people to demo it.

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-07-2008 at 08:00 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is the bit that makes the entire lightweight article a big mess not wroth reading...

I cannot stand when new gadgets that are not made to be digitial audio players specifically are compared to the iPod. The iPod is not the be all and end all anyway. There are a lot of serious shortcomings about the iPod.
Agreed. I do like my iPods, but sometimes that whole scroll wheel thing makes me nuts. Especially when what I want is at the bottom of the list, which it usually is.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
waterproof mp3 player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo View Post
waterproof earbuds?
Yes, the mp3 player was totally enclosed in an acrylic capsule with external buttons to push the buttons on the mp3 player. The waterproof earbuds were permanently attached to the end of the capsule, which plugged through the capsule into the player. It works great! Being suspicious, and cheap, I bought the 256K version just in case it didn't work. There was also a 512K version, and possibly a 1 meg, I didn't check that far.

Got them at www.swimoutlet.com.

A
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #19
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I took mine to the beach over this past long weekend. Seal the reader in a gallon Ziploc bag and the problem is solved.
A ziploc bag is my solution too. The M-Edge "Leisure Jacket" seems to have a zip around it. That wouldn't keep out the salt spray. When I leave the beach, I notice my reading glasses are coated with the stuff. I think it's in the air, all around you when you're at the beach. It must be very fine - too fine for a mechanical zip to keep out. A ziploc bag is real cheap too - so when it gets scruffy, you can just chuck it away (not on the beach of course!)
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 AM   #20
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
LYNN NEARY: Can I feel it? Can I see what it feels like?

Mr. JAY MARINE (Director of Product Management, Amazon): You can put your hands all over my lovely Kindle.

NEARY: Okay. It's very light, isn't it?

Mr. MARINE: Ooh, yes.
Uck. *This* sounds so wrong.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot stand when new gadgets that are not made to be digitial audio players specifically are compared to the iPod. The iPod is not the be all and end all anyway. There are a lot of serious shortcomings about the iPod.
Well, personally I'm getting tired of all the "Kindle: It's not paper" articles. It's become like comparing an iPod to a phonograph... or maybe a piano. You can't bury your Kindle in the sand. You can't play catch with it. Yes, e-book readers are not made out of paper. Point is made. Mondo yawnfest. Move on.

My PDA accompanied me to the beach, on a plane, at poolside, on road trips and bus connections, and entertained or informed me all along the way. Who cares if it's not paper?

Maybe when the articles start describing the utility of the Kindle, Sony, iliad, etc... I want to see articles entitled, "Astronaut takes over 400 books on the Shuttle... in his Kindle," or "Obama's entire library is on his Sony," or "Kindle is the only book needed at John Franks Middle School."

(By the way, let me say that the picture attached to this thread is probably the best-looking depiction of the Kindle I've seen anywhere.)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 07-08-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #22
montealan
Enthusiast
montealan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One, Likebook T80D
Sony Screen

In the article he says that you can read the screen in sunlight, unlike the Sony.
Am I missing something here? My Sony is readable outside in the sunlight.
montealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #23
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by montealan View Post
In the article he says that you can read the screen in sunlight, unlike the Sony.
Am I missing something here? My Sony is readable outside in the sunlight.
Either you're reading too fast or they've updated the text on the site. It now reads:

"...Pegoraro says that Kindle, like its competitor the Sony Reader..."

If I can be a bit picky, I think they got "fair" wrong. It should be "fare" in the following quote from the article -

"...I wondered how the reader would fair with sunshine and water...", .

Now, what other savage remarks can we make about non-believers!
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #24
montealan
Enthusiast
montealan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One, Likebook T80D
You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Either you're reading too fast or they've updated the text on the site. It now reads:

"...Pegoraro says that Kindle, like its competitor the Sony Reader..."

If I can be a bit picky, I think they got "fair" wrong. It should be "fare" in the following quote from the article -

"...I wondered how the reader would fair with sunshine and water...", .

Now, what other savage remarks can we make about non-believers!

I must have had the sun in my eyes, for I thought it said "unlike". And yes it should have said fare.
montealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The *main* reason I bought the Kindle was because it's eInk. Last summer I gave up trying to read off my PDA at the pool. It was too difficult. I bought the Kindle the first hour it was available (thanks to insomnia) and haven't regretted the purchase. It's great reading outside at the pool and at my son's football games. Sure, I need an additional light in low lighting but that's a lot easier than trying to read off a backlit LCD in bright sunlight.

Of course, now that I've lived with the Kindle for almost eight months I value it's other features as much as not more as the eInk display. Whispernet is a killer feature along with Search, Wikipedia, and Now Now.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #26
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I like to go swimmin'
with bow-legged women
and swim between their legs
swim between their legs...
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote