Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Question Convert Kindle books to Epub?

Is it possible or easy to buy and convert Kindle books to epub to read on my Kobo?

Don't get me wrong I love my Kobo and it is full of books.

But find Amazon is cheaper and it has many of the books I can't seem to find anywhere else.

polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
http://calibre-ebook.com/
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd think it would depend on if they have DRM or not, and that's another topic entirely.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
It also depends on their format. .AZW won't convert.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
You can use Calibre to deDRM (with "tools") then convert to ePub in two steps.
( Forum rules don't allow me to give the link, just google )

Last edited by thomass; 03-22-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo :(
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
*CoughApprenticeAlfCough*
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Again; a distinction that I'm sure many people get tired of hearing, but I think it's a very important distinction... calibre does NOT deDRM. The "tools" are entirely responsible for that. calibre is an innocent bystander in the process.

Repeat after me: calibre is NOT a drm-removal tool. calibre is NOT a drm-removal tool....
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
It also depends on their format. .AZW won't convert.
They most certainly will.

The direct answer to the OP is:

Yes, in almost all cases, if the book is DRM free, it can easily be converted with a tool like Calibre.

If the book has DRM you would not be able to convert it unless you stripped the DRM first.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 03-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
They most certainly will.

The direct answer to the OP is:

Yes, in almost all cases, if the book is DRM free, it can easily be converted with a tool like Calibre.

If the book has DRM you would not be able to convert it unless you stripped the DRM first.

ApK
So do most Amazon books have DRM? Don't want to illegally convert them
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Most do have DRM. Generally, the public domain titles (classics) and some of the freebies are free of DRM.

It may or may not be illegal to remove DRM, depending on your local laws.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Most do have DRM. Generally, the public domain titles (classics) and some of the freebies are free of DRM.

It may or may not be illegal to remove DRM, depending on your local laws.
Thanks for that.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Convert Kindle books to Epub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Don't let this keep you away from Calibre. To strip DRM from books you'd need to independently download and install a specific set of plug-ins and then set them up (provide info) to do be able to do the stripping. Anyway Calibre is a wonderful tool without the DRM stripping capability added.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Another consideration is that I have encountered several Amazon books that wouldn't convert to epub. Amazon actually uses a few different formats, not all of which will convert. On the other hand, I've never had a problem converting an epub to mobi, which is Kindle-readable, which is why I've switched to buying epubs whenever possible.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
Another consideration is that I have encountered several Amazon books that wouldn't convert to epub. Amazon actually uses a few different formats, not all of which will convert. On the other hand, I've never had a problem converting an epub to mobi, which is Kindle-readable, which is why I've switched to buying epubs whenever possible.
The current version of Calibre (and correct me if I'm wrong, Calibre folks) can convert every format currently offered by Amazon, including Topaz and KF8.

Not everything will convert perfectly, but I haven't run into anything that caused a noticible problem in a long while.

Similarly, epub has more features than mobi, so not everything can convert in that direction either.

But most books stick to common features and work just fine either way.

ApK
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The current version of Calibre (and correct me if I'm wrong, Calibre folks) can convert every format currently offered by Amazon, including Topaz and KF8.

Not everything will convert perfectly, but I haven't run into anything that caused a noticible problem in a long while.

Similarly, epub has more features than mobi, so not everything can convert in that direction either.

But most books stick to common features and work just fine either way.

ApK
Interesting. I'll have to try it again.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote