Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yep. Laptops are on the way out. Tablets with keyboard docks will be the next craze.
I doubt that. They might replace netbooks, but considering the number of laptop manufacturers that are making 17" laptops, I would say that they are here to stay.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I doubt that. They might replace netbooks, but considering the number of laptop manufacturers that are making 17" laptops, I would say that they are here to stay.
17" tablet w/ keyboard dock
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
While quad core sounds great, the internal (not storage) memory is probably important also. A few months ago I tested an android tablet for use with very, very large image pdf files (800+ pages scanned at 600dpi), and it took the tablet over 3 MINUTES to turn a page for the pdf! I tried several different pdf aps and none worked any better so the problem obviously resided with the reader or the Android system. Needless to say I returned the tablet to BestBuy, and scratched the idea of using one for image pdf file reading. With my dual core desk pc, turning a page of the same pdf book took about 2 seconds.

Last edited by bobcdy; 11-09-2011 at 05:01 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
To carry around with you?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Tablets with Windows 8 might be ready to replace laptops when Intel processors are less power hungry and run at lower temperatures by then -- a lot of programs can't be run on ARM processors. Android and iOS are just too limiting. You must remember that for a laptop you can fit a lot of components under the keyboard --- on a tablet you have to stick everything into the back of the screen.

For a fully functional laptop replacement you need a full set of expansion ports, mouse support, full Windows programs compatibility, etc. We will get there some day.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
I think it shouldn't be that much about performance (devices with dual cores work just fine) but it just looks like yet another good tablet.

Quote:
Agreed, we have to close that Wintel/Arm gap first, but with Microsoft going arm it might be faster than it seems.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
But seriously the T3( quad core--it really has 5 cores) allows the tablet to processes 1080p video and other high end graphics (shades,colors,lighting,etc...) and consume less energy.
This is the 1st quad core (plus one) ARM chip, and likely to be the only one for about 6 months. The technical press seem to agree that this isn't a very good quad core - it is essentially a corner cutting "first to market" design. On the other hand it is a significant improvement on the Tegra 2, and will keep Nvidia competitive with the newest dual core ARM chips for a while.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
um YES!!!

But seriously the T3( quad core--it really has 5 cores) allows the tablet to processes 1080p video and other high end graphics (shades,colors,lighting,etc...) and consume less energy. That is part of the reason why the battery life went from 8hrs to 12hrs.
I'm not sure how much they need the quad-core, but I really like the fifth chip: having a low power chip to save power for routine, non-demanding applications when the tablet is off really makes a lot of sense.

It has weak GPU, though - worse than the one on the Galaxy Tab; much worse than the one on the iPad 2. (Although probably twice as good as the gpu on the Tegra 2). I think that's a weird choice when so much of their marketing seems to focus on gaming.

I do like how the transformer has a dock with an integrated keyboard (which isn't new), and with integrated extra power (which is new). I only wish it were $100 rather than $150.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #24
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
It has weak GPU, though - worse than the one on the Galaxy Tab; much worse than the one on the iPad 2. (Although probably twice as good as the gpu on the Tegra 2).
You mean Galaxy Tab 7"? Because 10.1 is actually tegra 2. And, to be honest, I'm not quite sure why one would need a faster GPU, being an owner of 10.1" version.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
While awesome, it cannot replace my ASUS ROG G74S with an i7 Quad core (8 threads), 12 GB of RAM and a 3 GB nVidia card with DX11 for gaming.

When I say gaming I don't mean Angry Birds, I mean hardcore gaming e.g. Battlefield 3, Dead Island, etc. etc.

No tablet will be up to par for those games for quite some time.

Last edited by Grimm; 11-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #26
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
While awesome, it cannot replace my ASUS ROG G74S with an i7 Quad core (8 threads), 12 GB of RAM and a 3 GB nVidia card for gaming.

When I say gaming I don't mean Angry Birds, I mean hardcore gaming e.g. Battlefield 3, Dead Island, etc. etc.

No tablet will be up to par for those games for quite some time.
And that doesn't even begin to cover the differences between tablets, big laptops, and the gaming tower that I have at home. Let me know when they have 24-inch tablets with surround sound, 8GB RAM, a DirectX 11 video card and six-core CPUs.

And this doesn't just apply to gaming, by the way. Videographers, photographers, architects, and any other profession where large screens and copious amounts of processing power is a necessity to get the job done and keep the revenue flowing, will never abandon PCs for tablets. Not until tablets have evolved so far from what they currently are that they no longer are what we think of as a tablet today.

If all a person ever uses their computer for is email, Facebook and Twitter, then a tablet can probably be enough, but to paraphrase The Onion a little bit, "in the business world, where people use computers to do actual work rather than just ***ing around, it's doubtful that tablets will take over"
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #27
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
And that doesn't even begin to cover the differences between tablets, big laptops, and the gaming tower that I have at home. Let me know when they have 24-inch tablets with surround sound, 8GB RAM, a DirectX 11 video card and six-core CPUs.

And this doesn't just apply to gaming, by the way. Videographers, photographers, architects, and any other profession where large screens and copious amounts of processing power is a necessity to get the job done and keep the revenue flowing, will never abandon PCs for tablets. Not until tablets have evolved so far from what they currently are that they no longer are what we think of as a tablet today.

If all a person ever uses their computer for is email, Facebook and Twitter, then a tablet can probably be enough, but to paraphrase The Onion a little bit, "in the business world, where people use computers to do actual work rather than just ***ing around, it's doubtful that tablets will take over"
You sir, win 500 internetz for that post.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #28
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
It has weak GPU, though - worse than the one on the Galaxy Tab; much worse than the one on the iPad 2. (Although probably twice as good as the gpu on the Tegra 2). I think that's a weird choice when so much of their marketing seems to focus on gaming.
I'm not sure where your getting your facts, but the GTab uses the T2; the iPad uses the PowerVR

The T3 is 3x faster than the T2. And the T2 is comparable to the PowerVR used by the iPad 2

But say that the Prime did have a poor GPU, the quad core processors would more than make up for that.

Quote:
I'm not sure how much they need the quad-core, but I really like the fifth chip: having a low power chip to save power for routine, non-demanding applications when the tablet is off really makes a lot of sense.
It depends on what it's used for. But for video editing, gaming, high def video, etc the quad core will make a difference.

Right now games have to scale down to handle the lower processors speeds but when most tablets have quad or better game graphics will get better too.

Quote:
I do like how the transformer has a dock with an integrated keyboard (which isn't new), and with integrated extra power (which is new). I only wish it were $100 rather than $150.
Agreed cheaper is better, but remember you also get additional features like a USB host and an SD card reader.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
To carry around with you?
17" laptop - to carry around with you?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #30
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
17" laptop - to carry around with you?
In a bag around a campus, sure. I have a thin and light laptop that is easy to carry due to weighing less than 3lbs, and if you're lugging around a few heavy text books anyway, adding a laptop bag is not that big a deal.

The main thing a laptop has going for it in the above scenario is that it's one single piece. A tablet with a docking station and a keyboard (even worse if the two are separate) is more of a hassle to transport and set up, than a device where all you have to do is open the lid and press a button.

Different strokes for different folks in the end.

I have a gaming tower, a laptop that can run games easily, a Touchpad, and a smart phone, in addition to an eReader. They excel at different things, and I use them for different things. It would never, ever, occur to me to try and write a novel on the Touchpad, and I certainly wouldn't try to run Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the laptop.

Let's just say that if I had to pick one single device for everything... it wouldn't be one of the small portable ones, and no, I don't need a moment to think that over. A powerful PC can do anything the other three can, the smaller ones can do some, but not all. Easy as that.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote