Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Luke_Y
Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle KB
Mac- Just made the switch, any advice? Library management etc.

Mac- Just made the switch, any advice? Library management etc.

Hi all, I guess this is my first post here, although I have been a lurker for quite some time.

I just switched from Windows PCs to Mac and have some questions. Formerly I used the Sony software for Library management and transfer. I used libprs500 for converting content that I acquired elsewhere but just saved the conversions to disk and removed the books from the libprs500 interface when done.

On the computer my books are stored in a file folder structure under Books> Author> Book title folder... That final book title folder may contain several versions of the book (lit, lrf, html etc.) as well as a cover jpg or bmp, and possibly a metadata file output by libprs500 (don't know what to do with these) And of course I have the Sony "connect reader" and "ebook library" folders.

I am thinking I will be using libprs500 for Library management, conversions, and transfer. Do I just add all of my books to the libprs500 library? I am a bit confused as to which of the 3 options to use here with regard to my file structure.

I am aware that without installing windows and running the sony software I can't buy any more books from the sony site. As of now I think I am fine with that. I am going to try as best I can to make this switch all the way and find alternatives for my other windows programs, so I wont be installing windows. If I must do a firmware upgrade or something I may install it on my sons PC. But... will the books I have already purchased and loaded continue to work? What if I take them off the reader and put them back on? Can I even do that using libprs500? If not, can I still drag and drop them on and off the reader using OSX?

Thanks for looking and helping out. I have two other requests if you feel like continuing

1) I am near full on my readers memory. If I add a card I lose collections (I think I would lose them anyway with libprs500) which is how I keep things organized now. Any tips for organizing lots of books on the reader? If organization becomes a pain, I guess I don't see the upside of using a card and having all of my books. I guess I would just load the stuff I might be currently be interested in reading. Just feels like a waste.

2) As I wont be using the Sony store any longer, anyone want to point me to some good sites to purchase current books in formats I can use?

Thanks again.
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs500 does support collections via tags. Every tag is mapped to a collection on the device. I've never tried managing purchased books without the connect software (never purchased any books from SONY), so I can't help you with that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Luke_Y
Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
libprs500 does support collections via tags. Every tag is mapped to a collection on the device. I've never tried managing purchased books without the connect software (never purchased any books from SONY), so I can't help you with that.
Thanks Kovid. Will that support for collections via tags extend to the memory card if one is used? Or is that a limitation of the reader firmware?

Also do you have any suggestion as to which "add books" method I should use regarding the file structure I use for storing my books? I am a bit confused on that part.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will on the 505 not on the 500. Use the second option.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
You will find you may not want to drop the sony software just yet. I suggest that you run Windows via bootcamp or VM fusion or even Paralles on your mac just to get books that may not be available in other formats. Also if you do a search you will find several posts about using a mac with the Sony. If you dont purchase from Sony you will be looking at some level of conversion for the other formats. None of which are that painful or time consuming but sometimes I just like to click and read.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I converted to Mac last year. I installed Connect on Parallels. Worked fine. Have never used it again thanks to lp500. I refuse to purchase books with drm so there is no reason to use Connect. I will either purchase them in a format that I can strip the drm from or I find them already drm free on the web. Either way lp500 is great.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
I ordered my reader and it shows up tomorrow. I am a mac user and have the lp500 gui and it does seem very good. I already have some books converted from non-drm .lit and used the viewer to see them. However I may want to purchase some that have drm. Is there a mac solution for stripping the drm off files, or must I use boot camp/etc.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
With the DRM files, it depends on which format you buy them in. I always buy LIT format, if it's cheaper than the Sony Connect version (lately Sony has been pretty good) and then take off the DRM with Convertlit.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Schmots
Connoisseur

Yes, I have seen convertlit and from what I have read it does a good job... the problem is it requires windows, so I would have to boot into my bootcamp or install a vm. I was simply wondering if there were any native mac apps, like lip500 can run nativily on a mac.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I think you only need Windows now to generate your keys from the Reader software. None of the sites I buy from require Windows to download the book.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Luke_Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmots View Post
I ordered my reader and it shows up tomorrow. I am a mac user and have the lp500 gui and it does seem very good. I already have some books converted from non-drm .lit and used the viewer to see them. However I may want to purchase some that have drm. Is there a mac solution for stripping the drm off files, or must I use boot camp/etc.
I found this Download DMG at macosxhints HERE

Haven’t had much opportunity to use it yet. But as I understand it you just drag your drm lit file onto it and it dumps out a folder containing the component JPEG images, HTML files, and Open eBook files... At that point I think you zip that folder or place it in a zipped folder and you can use libprs500 to convert to LRF... At least that’s how I understand it, like I say haven’t played much with it yet.

Kovid may be able to provide more info on what to do with those files in libprs.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
My favorite place to find cool, free stuff for the Mac is www.coolosxapps.com Be careful, it my become addicting to see what you can score when they update the page. Some nice littel dashboard gadgets too!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Schmots
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
I found this Download DMG at macosxhints HERE

Haven’t had much opportunity to use it yet. But as I understand it you just drag your drm lit file onto it and it dumps out a folder containing the component JPEG images, HTML files, and Open eBook files... At that point I think you zip that folder or place it in a zipped folder and you can use libprs500 to convert to LRF... At least that’s how I understand it, like I say haven’t played much with it yet.

Kovid may be able to provide more info on what to do with those files in libprs.

I havn't tried a drm .lit yet.. but a normal lit that mac app did wonders for.. let me break it apart.. edit some formating I didn't like, then I ziped it up and used lib500 to make it sony format.. worked like a charm
Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Luke_Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmots View Post
I havn't tried a drm .lit yet.. but a normal lit that mac app did wonders for.. let me break it apart.. edit some formating I didn't like, then I ziped it up and used lib500 to make it sony format.. worked like a charm
Yep, I have been meaning to purchase a low price drm lit book that I might like in order to try it out. But, I haven't gotten around to it yet. Too much reading to do.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
Yep, I have been meaning to purchase a low price drm lit book that I might like in order to try it out. But, I haven't gotten around to it yet. Too much reading to do.
You can "buy" this DRM protected LIT from Fictionwise for FREE.

Origins of Wish You Well: A Short Essay

Then test your conversion attempts with it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote