Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Those page-turn buttons are going to take some getting used to...

Love the Kindle 3. So-so on the buttons. I just don't know why they're so damn tiny. AND, when you push them, the back-side of the button pushes into your left pointy finger (if you hold Kindle left-handed).

Not sure why Amazon changed what wasn't broken with K2. I understand the complaint that the buttons were a tad loud on the K2, so make them like the K2, but softer!

Not saying I hate the K3 buttons, but so far, I definitely prefer the K2's!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've always heard so many complaints about the big buttons on the previous models but I really like them. It makes paging so mindless.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I agree. It's so easy to turn pages on the K2. Now the K1 it was a little TOO easy, so I'm glad this was changed for K2, but K3 feels like a bit of a step backward in this regard...
Old 08-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I've always heard so many complaints about the big buttons on the previous models but I really like them. It makes paging so mindless.
Agreed I wish the ones on my DX were the size of the K2..
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
WilliamG
Addict

Now the DX makes even less sense, since it doesn't have ANY buttons on the left of the device (WTF?). That boggled my mind. I'm right handed but I always hold the kindle with my left hand. I know you can flip the DX and use it that way, but that seems so... wrong.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
I'm actually liking the buttons. Once you get used to them (50+ pages for me) they really are easier. I also loving the fact that there is a back page button on right side!
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My only concern was if I'd be able to hold it one handed and change pages. No problems with the bit of messing around I've done. Actually I've had no problems with the narrower buttons at all (although I only played with them briefly so we'll see).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I read for about two hours last night, and a little ways in I was used to the new buttons and really love them!
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I agree. I love the smaller buttons. I love that they are quiet. I love that there is a page back on the right side.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
Blackterrier
Blackterrier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iphone 6+, ipad pro
So far I'm liking to buttons for the K3. The only issue I'm having is getting used to the 5-way scroll button. I'm used to the rolling one on my K1.
Blackterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Please could you tell me how quiet the new buttons are? On the K2 there is an audible click and I can't read the Kindle in bed once hubby wants to go to sleep as the noise annoys him! Is the new Kindle almost silent then ?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #12
WilliamG
Addict

Yes the new K3 is much quieter.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #13
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Thank you good to know
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I am transitioning from a K1 to a K3 and I find the K3 buttons much more difficult to push. In fact, my wrist is sore! Hopefully because I did lots of typing to set up collections, transfer books etc. but I am worried! I know, such a delicate flower... I always liked the K1 buttons in spite of the occasional inadvertent page turn. I hope I can get used to the K3 buttons. That and the loss of the number keys are my only negatives.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I am transitioning from a K1 to a K3 and I find the K3 buttons much more difficult to push. In fact, my wrist is sore! Hopefully because I did lots of typing to set up collections, transfer books etc. but I am worried! I know, such a delicate flower... I always liked the K1 buttons in spite of the occasional inadvertent page turn. I hope I can get used to the K3 buttons. That and the loss of the number keys are my only negatives.
It's not the page turn buttons that bother me, but the microscopically small 5-way navigation control; it's just too small for my fingers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote