Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
terryp52
terryp52 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Problem with blank screen

Hi, I have had my Sony 505 14 months now with no problems but today disaster visited me. I always carry it around with the protective screen fabric and a rubber band around the leather cover. Today I was going to pick my wife up and thought I would just take it with no protection as I was only going down the road, I took one foot out of the door and the 505 slipped out of my hand and crashed to a concrete floor, I didn't realised what had happened until I opened to and tried to switch it on , there was nothing but a couple of grey bands, I then noticed that one corner on the aluminium surround had been damaged, the screen was untouched.
After numerous attempts to get it going, trying resets soft and hard , recharging etc, looking at the help in this forum I have to admit the thing is dead, some of the suggestions mentioned while doing resets some words might appear but I don't have anything apart from the grey bands.
Has anyone had experience of this dead screen and if so any idea of how much it might cost if I sent it back to Sony, is it worth getting it repaired?
If I bought another reader, which one would I be able to transfer my collection which consists of mainly EPUB, Sony LRF, Adobe Digital Editions.I have about 80 books.
One other factor is, which has a user replacement battery after reading how expensive it it from Sony. ( unless the rumours are wrong )
Don't get me wrong I love the 505 and if I could get it repaired at a reasonable cost I would consider it.
If anyone has any helpful ideas I would be grateful
Thanks
terryp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
alfredopp
alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.alfredopp is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
unfortunately after 14 months you are already out of warranty. I believe the cost for a o/w repair is a little above $100
alfredopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
terryp52
terryp52 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hi alfredopp, here in the UK the fixed price for repair is £176 which is about $250, I can get a new one for only a bit less.
Thanks for your interest
terryp52 is offline   Reply With Quote