Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
$130: 5" Touchscreen GPS Nav with ebook (TXT) support

Just came across this:

5 Inch Touchscreen Galaxy's Thinnest GPS Portable Navigator - GPS-C3250

5" LCD, touchscreen, GPS, FM, thin, and ebook support (only TXT, but for 5" it would be fine.) Plus, it's Win CE 5, so other stuff can presumably run on it.

The battery life is 3 hrs, but that's with the GPS running. It should be longer if the GPS is off.

I didn't notice resolution numbers, maybe they don't show them for a reason.

Anyway, I thought it may interest some because of the TXT ability, and the price is close to that magic $100 number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.33.jpg.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	32448  
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
With WinCE you can install Mobipocket and ubook. So, a lot more formats would be available.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 04:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My Garmin GPS support the display of text files, too, but I certainly wouldn't use it as an eBook reader . I think this is actually a very common capability. Calling it "eBook support" is a little misleading, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
With WinCE you can install Mobipocket and ubook. So, a lot more formats would be available.
if this is so Harryt. I wouldn't call it misleading at all.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The fact that it runs Windows CE does not necessarily mean that it provides the capability of running user-installed applications. Do you know if this device does?
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My Garmin GPS support the display of text files, too, but I certainly wouldn't use it as an eBook reader
I am curious, why not?

Many here clamor for a 5" device, and many appear happy with reflowable text (which often might as well be plain TXT.)

The reason I posted this here, is that it specifically mentions e-books. Also, the following makes me think that it would accept software packages (including Mobipocket?):

"this model is compatible with most brands of GPS software - however hardware specific software such as Garmin may not run on this unit."

Last edited by Sonist; 07-18-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I am curious, why not?
Because it displays HUGE text (so you can read it from the driver's seat, presumably) and you only get about 6 lines on the screen. Also, the battery only lasts for about 3 hours - it's really meant to be used permanently connected to the car's power socket.

It's really meant (on the Garmin devices, anyway) to be used for displaying supplemental information about "places of interest" on the map (eg opening times of attractions, telephone numbers, etc), rather than for reading long text files with. It could be done but, believe me, you really wouldn't want to do it .

I'll take a picture of it when I get a chance, so you can see what it looks like.

If this particular device is just a generic Pocket PC, however, then you are of course absolutely right in saying that it should run Mobipocket, Microsoft Reader, or any other book reading application that you wish. But in that case you might just as well buy a Pocket PC and install a GPS application on it .

Last edited by HarryT; 07-18-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
If this particular device is just a generic Pocket PC, however, then you are of course absolutely right in saying that it should run Mobipocket, Microsoft Reader, or any other book reading application that you wish. But in that case you might just as well buy a Pocket PC and install a GPS application on it .
because I imagine today 95% of people know what a gps is

while only 10% know what a PPC is. and only really 1 in 5 of those know that they can even come with GPS.

When I got my phone (ATT Tilt), the answer was. your phone has GPS?
You can install Aplications on your phone? (this was before iphone)

so advertising it as a GPS device makes a whole lot more sense I think.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The fact that it runs Windows CE does not necessarily mean that it provides the capability of running user-installed applications. Do you know if this device does?
Actually this device is basically hardware and OS only. It requires the installation of user-installed applications even for GPS support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually this device is basically hardware and OS only. It requires the installation of user-installed applications even for GPS support.
Dale, I believe it has some sort of GPS software installed. But (presumably because the installed software sucks :-), they tell us that we can install any other non-hardware dependent GPS application. I think at the end it's just a really badly worded disclaimer, telling us they provide no software support.

Which also means, that mobipocket may be installed. At least this is how I read it.

To address Harry's text size point, I noted above that they do not state the display's resolution (maybe for exactly this reason.)

On the other hand, 5" LCD displays are fairly common, and cheap, so maybe they are at least 480x272, if not 640x480, which would be sufficient improvement over the 24x320, which many Garmin devices employ.

Again, I thought it's so cheap, that someone might be interested (they should ask about the resolution first.) It's also thinner than most, thus more like an e-book.

Last edited by Sonist; 07-18-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Dale, I believe it has some sort of GPS software installed. But (presumably because the installed software sucks :-), they tell us that we can install any other non-hardware dependent GPS application. I think at the end it's just a really badly worded disclaimer, telling us they provide no software support.

Which also means, that mobipocket may be installed. At least this is how I read it.

To address Harry's text size point, I noted above that they do not state the display's resolution (maybe for exactly this reason.)

On the other hand, 5" LCD displays are fairly common, and cheap, so maybe they are at least 480x272, if not 640x480, which would be sufficient improvement over the 24x320, which many Garmin devices employ.

Again, I thought it's so cheap, that someone might be interested (they should ask about the resolution first.) It's also thinner than most, thus more like an e-book.
It does not say that any GPS software is installed. It does have built-in GPS hardware and may have a test program, non-mapping built-in but I would expect you to have to add mapping programs if you want them.

To quote the web site: As the wholesaler, GadgetGreats provides the GPS- enabled hardware only, not the software.

The is WinCE not PPC so not all PPC applications will work but you must be able to install whatever you can find.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote