Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Calibre Content Server and Kindle 3

I have Calibre 0.8.62, and a Kindle 3 with wi-fi.

I have successfully enabled Calibre Content Server, and have figured out how to connect to my Calibre library from the Kindle, via wi-fi. So I can now use the Kindle to pull books from my PC.

What I would now like to do is to push books from Calibre to the Kindle. In other words, I'd like to select a book from within Calibre, click a button, and then have the books sent via wi-fi to the Kindle.

Is that possible? (I suspect it isn't, because I've searched the Calibre docs and this forum, and can find no mention of it.)

I guess what I really want is the equivalent of the "Send to device" menu option, but via a wi-fi connection, rather than USB. I know I can get Calibre to email a book to the Kindle, but that involves a financial cost which I would ideally like to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I have Calibre 0.8.62, and a Kindle 3 with wi-fi.

I have successfully enabled Calibre Content Server, and have figured out how to connect to my Calibre library from the Kindle, via wi-fi. So I can now use the Kindle to pull books from my PC.

What I would now like to do is to push books from Calibre to the Kindle. In other words, I'd like to select a book from within Calibre, click a button, and then have the books sent via wi-fi to the Kindle.

Is that possible? (I suspect it isn't, because I've searched the Calibre docs and this forum, and can find no mention of it.)

I guess what I really want is the equivalent of the "Send to device" menu option, but via a wi-fi connection, rather than USB. I know I can get Calibre to email a book to the Kindle, but that involves a financial cost which I would ideally like to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Mike
I don't think the K3 (or K4NT) has a FTP server (allows a 'send' )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Possibly doable on a jailbroken device (I'm thinking sshfs + Calibre's directory-as-device thingy), but on a vanilla device, I doubt it . (Can't remember if the K3 automagically picks stuff up, so it might need more tweaks to actually *show* the stuff sent that way).

(In the same vein, see also KSP, which works the other way around).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I guess what I really want is the equivalent of the "Send to device" menu option, but via a wi-fi connection, rather than USB.
Currently this exact feature is available only on Android devices that have the Calibre Companion App installed.

Quote:
I know I can get Calibre to email a book to the Kindle, but that involves a financial cost which I would ideally like to avoid.
I don't have a Kindle, but I thought there was a free email address you could send your books to, read this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for your replies. You've confirmed what I suspected.

Walt, you mentioned the free email address. You're right that such an address exists, but to receive email from that address, you have to connect your Kindle to the PC, which defeats the object of the exercise. (At least, that's my understanding. I'll review that thread you referenced, and double-check the Kindle docs.)

Mike
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. You've confirmed what I suspected.

Walt, you mentioned the free email address. You're right that such an address exists, but to receive email from that address, you have to connect your Kindle to the PC, which defeats the object of the exercise. (At least, that's my understanding. I'll review that thread you referenced, and double-check the Kindle docs.)

Mike
Your K3 does not have whispersync?
That is the whole purpose of having the @kindle.com address
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your K3 does not have whispersync?
That is the whole purpose of having the @kindle.com address
Well, it has wi-fi, and it has 3G.

And it has a @kindle.com address.

Mike
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard

It looks like I was wrong about there being a fee for wi-fi delivery. I just found this is in the user guide:

Quote:
Kindle Personal Documents Service doesn't charge fees for delivery of personal documents to Kindle devices over Wi-Fi or to supported Kindle reading applications.

Fees for the Kindle Personal Documents Service via Whispernet are based on the size of the file submitted
I've managed to email a small book (0.3 MB) from Calibre to my Kindle without any problem. However, when I try to send a larger one (3.8 MB), Calibre chugs away for ten minutes, then reports an error and gives up.

I assume this is something that I'm doing wrong, so I'll keep digging.

Mike
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard

Success.

I followed the advice in the Calibre docs, and configured it to use Gmail for sending the emails. After that, it worked perfectly. It took about three minutes to send the book I wanted, and another five minutes for it to show up in the Kindle, which is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks again for all who replied. The lesson to take away from this is that it always pays to read the friendly manuals.

Mike