Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
persiphone
Enthusiast
persiphone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Dropbox Calibre and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Setting Up

I remember the days of when I would just plug my old Sony PRS and Calibre would just put my books on it, those were the days....then I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I officially need help, my Sony will forever be missed!

Ok, I have downloaded Dropbox, I already have Calibre and moved my calibre folder over to dropbox, I downloaded Aldiko on the tablet. I am not exactly sure what to do next. I have over 300 books on my calibre and they are perfectly tweaked the way that I want them, I am concerned of losing my tweaks (series numbers, metadata stuff). Also I need help with setting up my Aldiko so as to read my books from my Wifi Tablet (THAT DOES NOT HAVE USB MASS STORAGE...sorry I am a little enraged over this, life would be so much more simpler if it did offer it or even a dang sd card). That being said, could someone please tell me in very simple terms on how to set up my Aldiko to read my calibre library and could someone tell me exactly how to set up my calibre in dropbox so that I don't lose any of my tweaks. I can't live without Calibre, thank you so much Kavid for such an amazing library, I have had it forever and can't imagine my reading life without it. Thank you to the poor soul who is going to be kind enough to bring me out of old technology and into the new "cloud" technology
persiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
persiphone
Enthusiast

Oh and if anyone knows of a much easier way to sync my calibre library with my samsung galaxy tab 10.1, I would love to know....thanks
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....d-phone-tablet
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
persiphone
Enthusiast

Of course I totally mess up your name and your the one who responds to my post ;P Anyway, went through and followed your guide, it pulled up great on the browser however when I tried to add it to Aldiko it went through the authentication popup, I entered my info and hit sign up and nothing happens at all. Even tried hitting the register button but that didn't work either, checked and rechecked to make sure ip addy was entered correctly with the 8080 and still nothing, am I missing something?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Android doesnt support authentication, you have to disable the password in the calibre server preferences.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
persiphone
Enthusiast

thank you so much, now to figure out how to get my books upon the shelf thingy's in aldiko and figure out if my series are still together they were in calibre....thank you so much for your help, I love how Calibre is set up, do you have any future plans on creating a calibre for android?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No not really. I do have plans to embed an ebook viewer directly into the calibre content server, so you can just read your books in the browser without needing any application at all. But that is some ways off.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Android doesnt support authentication, you have to disable the password in the calibre server preferences.
This one has come up so often lately. Could you add some RED text next to the Password box in the Preferences for CCS config.
"Do not set if using an Android device: Incompatible."
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This one has come up so often lately. Could you add some RED text next to the Password box in the Preferences for CCS config.
Done.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Actually, I think the message should be changed to "Only works with Stanza and PCs". I do believe the Kindle is also unable to open the Calibre content server if it's password protected and last I checked, none of the other iOS reader apps with OPDS support (aside from Stanza) could download ebooks when password protection is enabled. Same issue with the PRS-T1, I believe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have been having no trouble with Kindles, or with OPDS enabled iOS apps such as MegaReader/QuickReader
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have been having no trouble with Kindles, or with OPDS enabled iOS apps such as MegaReader/QuickReader
They must have added support to MegaReader since I last used it (admittedly quite a while ago - only tested it before the iOS5 compatible Stanza 3.2 was released).

The Kindle, I mis-remembered the issue. The earlier Kindles couldn't set specific port numbers but worked fine with basic authentication.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
They must have added support to MegaReader since I last used it (admittedly quite a while ago - only tested it before the iOS5 compatible Stanza 3.2 was released).
No - it has worked for a long time now (since at least the iOS3 days)

What might be confusing things is that I am not sure that the password is remembered so you may get prompted at regular intervals. A simple work-around is to preset the URL using the syntax:
http://username:password@address:por...ed/rest_of_url
Since MegaReader does not display the URL once it has been setup presetting the username/password in this manner this is not much of a security risk.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Use Aldiko...I also have the same device and can download all my books, including DRM'd and library books to it. Get version 2.1 which is for tablets.
- Go to settings, key your ADE username and password first
- go to store
- using the menu icon in the upper right corner, select catalogs
- tap +
- enter library name (Calibre)
- enter url : http://192.168.1.xxx:8080
The xxx is for your own LAN number in use (LOCAL AREA NETWORK) that you can find doing a command prompt on your computer and using the command "ipconfig"
If entered correctly, you will see a menu which allows you to select which books to load directly from Calibre
Make sure that Calibre server is "on" and that the port it is using (in calibre preferences, sharing over the internet) is 8080.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Another option, as you are already using Dropbox, is to use Calibre2opds to generate your catalog in a very slick looking package. Check out their demo catalog here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/958355/Demo....log/index.html
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote