Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Douglasco
Douglasco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon monopoly or touch screen?
Is the kindle practical(fast) for extensive text selecting(highlighting&clipping)

Say..... compared to a screen that you could just touch to highlight

That would be my primary use, so i'm looking for feedback from some actual users. Does the cursor scroll slowly or too fast?
Douglasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The Kindle 1 is very fast at this. Because it uses the LCD cursor which is the little silver bar thing that runs along the right side of the screen.

You scroll the bar up to the first line you want to highlight, press the button, choose highlight from the menu, then choose the last line, and press select. Done.

As for the K2... well, you'll have to wait till someone gets one to answer the question about that. But, I assume it would be similar, except you are using the joystick to select the first place/word.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Douglasco

Oh, so on the kindle you can only highlight or clip an entire line and not a partial line? That sounds pretty annoying and worthless. Say it ain't so.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Douglasco, if you decide to buy a K2, you have 30 days to return it for a full refund (minus shipping)if you are not satisfied.

Gives you plenty of time to play with it, download books, (free ones so you aren't out any money) and see if it does what you need it too.

Good luck with your choice.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Page 46 of the Kindle 2 User Guide (which you should read if you're really interested in a Kindle).

Quote:
Highlighting a Passage

To highlight one or more lines, follow these steps:
1. Use the 5-way to position the cursor where you want to start highlighting.
2. Press the 5-way.
3. Move the 5-way right (or left) to where you want your highlight to end. You can turn
pages if you want to highlight text across multiple pages.
4. Press the 5-way at the place where you want the highlight to end.
5. Notice that the text you highlighted appears with a gray underline.
From the video on the Kindle buy page, it looks like you control how much of the line to highlight by use of the joy stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2highlight.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	24194  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasco View Post
Oh, so on the kindle you can only highlight or clip an entire line and not a partial line? That sounds pretty annoying and worthless. Say it ain't so.
On the Kindle Classic... yes it is so. Worthless, ok, I guess that's one opinion. One I disagree with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Oh, so on the kindle you can only highlight or clip an entire line and not a partial line?
You "clip" an entire page, and I think this is still true on the Kindle 2. However, highlights also appear as text in your clippings file.

On the Kindle 1, the on-screen highlighting is a box around the lines in question. The selection is for whole lines, but lines depend on the font size (and perhaps how you reached a spot in the ebook). The on-screen box is always entire lines, and it seems to always include the highlighted region but may include extra text to pad to a full number of lines.

The grey underline on the K2 gives you finer control of the underlining, but may not be as visible as the K1's box.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
Douglasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You "clip" an entire page, and I think this is still true on the Kindle 2.
Wow, you can only clip a whole page at a time? I just read the owners manual and it doesn't clarify this. Can anyone confirm it?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Wow, you can only clip a whole page at a time? I just read the owners manual and it doesn't clarify this. Can anyone confirm it?
Well, if no one can, its really easy to ask Kindle support.

they are very good at answering questions.

Info can be found on the main kindle page under 'support'
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
That's how it works with Kindle 1. If you reduce the size of the font you can clip more per page. You cannot clip unlimited pages because of the DRM restrictions.

From the Amazon Forums:

Quote:
I know there is a limit ,but not sure how much. Here is an old posting from a reader about clippings:

I did a test with a DRM'd Amazon book and a non-DRM'd book.

Using text size 1, with the Amazon book I was able to clip 39 pages. I got the error on the 40th page.

Using text size 1, with a non-DRM'd book, I clipped 80 pages with no problem. My fingers got tired so I quit, but I think you can draw your own conclusions. I did this AFTER the first test, so the limit is not in the myclippings.txt file itself. All the clips from both tests were in there.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle 1 differentiates between clipping a whole "page" and highlighting. If you highlight text, only those lines are saved in "My Clippings" and highlighted. If you select "Save Page As Clipping", it saves the whole "page". I don't see the "Save Page As Clipping" option in the K2 User's Guide. You can read the whole guide online if you want.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote