Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
sandykayak
sandykayak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
84 Charing Cross Road

This has always been one of my favorite movies and, as a new Kindle owner, I was thinking of how a remake of the plot would work. Anyone else feel a special bond with this story?

They would still correspond in writing (or, heaven forbid, via telephone or Skype!) via email, the books would be sent electronically (except those precious first editions of old books!), and pay with Pay Pal.

Care packages could be ordered and paid for electronically.

ooops...transferring books to a Kindle and replying via Gmail would pretty much eliminate the whole story!! And with Skype or other similar format they would know what each other looked like!)

When I googled it I saw that Amazon has the book...drat, didn't know nor have I read it! But Ann Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins made the story wonderful. I believe Vera Miles was the wife?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090570/

sandy in miami
sandykayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
One of the single greatest films ever made. I don't know if it would happen in today's techno world. The author of that book had a great love of the old physical book, and the privations of post-WWII England add so much to the story.

I'll have to buy the book and read it.

Actually, Dame Judi Dench played the part of Mrs. Doel.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
One of the single greatest films ever made. I don't know if it would happen in today's techno world. The author of that book had a great love of the old physical book, and the privations of post-WWII England add so much to the story.

I'll have to buy the book and read it.

Actually, Dame Judi Dench played the part of Mrs. Doel.
I love her!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I love her!
If you have not seen the movie, DG ... you must rent a copy. It is positively brilliant.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
If you have not seen the movie, DG ... you must rent a copy. It is positively brilliant.
Will do!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Never mind--I misremembered...

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 01-01-2009 at 03:15 AM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Pulled my copy out and watched it last night (New Year's Eve). It's still a beautiful film. So elegant.

I was reading a comment (elsewhere) by some idiot (sorry, but that's the best word I can come up with at the moment), who didn't "get" the film because there wasn't any "action" .... nothing "happened."

All I could think of is that for most of the world, most of the time, there's no "action." It's called LIFE. And, it's the way this film captures the moments out of real life, the precious little moments that build relationships, that makes it wonderful.

It's in the characters' faces and the tones of their voices how intensely this friendship (I'm thinking Frank and Helene here, but everyone really) effects them. If I call out any particular moment, I'll be putting in spoilers, and I'd rather not do that ...

But really, I felt like reaching into my computer, grabbing that idiot by his pencil neck and shouting "NOT EVERY MOVIE NEEDS TO HAVE ALIEN TRANSFORMING ROBOTS!!"

Sigh ....