Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Last time around some of us got really great screens on our 1st batch K4s while others got bad or so so screens. To be honest, I don't think the Chinese understand the concept of quality control. Ever since electronics got pushed into mainland China production plants rather than plants in Taiwan or Japan, the quality have declined substantially, exponentially actually.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #32
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The Kobo XGA display in the Glo is the same e-ink Pearl used in the PW. Both are 1024x768 @ 210dpi.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #33
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I don't notice any difference in contrast without the light on, blacks aren't any blacker or whites whiter. The improvement was obvious between K2 and K3. I'm also not interested in the light and dislike touch screens, why should I smudge up the screen I'm reading from by touching it? Everything has to have a useless touch screen nowadays or the masses won't "touch" it.

So for me, the only advantage coming from K3 would be the higher resolution which I'm not sure is worth the price.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I don't notice any difference in contrast without the light on, the blacks aren't any blacker or whites whiter. The difference was obvious between K2 and K3. I'm also not interested in the light and dislike touch screens, why should I smudge up the screen I'm reading from by touching it? Everything has to have a useless touch screen nowadays or the masses won't "touch" it.

So for me, the only advantage coming from K3 would be the higher resolution which I'm not sure is worth the price.
Have you used a Kindle Touch? The screen does not show fingerprints, because it has a matte surface. It's not a "fingerprint magnet" like the iPad is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #35
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I haven't had a chance to use a Kindle Touch. Is its screen surface any different from K3/4? Fingerprints easily show up on those and annoy me quite a bit.

I still can't get over how they advertise higher contrast everywhere. "The blacks are blacker and whites whiter." No. Turn the light off and it looks exactly the same as all other Pearl screens. There's no actual contrast difference, the uniform lighting only makes it look like there is. Whatever sells more I guess.

Last edited by s4nder; 09-10-2012 at 06:58 AM.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I still can't get over how they advertise higher contrast everywhere. "The blacks are blacker and whites whiter." No. Turn the light off and it looks exactly the same as all other Pearl screens. There's no actual contrast difference, the uniform lighting only makes it look like there is. Whatever sells more I guess.
It's the screen manufacturer who states that there is a 25% contrast improvement, and they should know. Have you personally compared a Kindle Paperwhite side by side with a Kindle Touch, that you're so confident in stating that "there's no actual contrast difference"? Are you claiming that eInk are lying about it?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #37
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the screen manufacturer who states that there is a 25% contrast improvement, and they should know. Have you personally compared a Kindle Paperwhite side by side with a Kindle Touch, that you're so confident in stating that "there's no actual contrast difference"? Are you claiming that eInk are lying about it?
I do think the PW screen has improved compared to the K4 but I am not so sure about the 25% improvement.
Personally I am always skeptical about what EInk say because they have been making pretty bad Pearl screens and pretending as if they all are of the same quality.
So I intend to confirm if there really is an improvement in contrast or not with my own eyes.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa.F View Post
I do think the PW screen has improved compared to the K4 but I am not so sure about the 25% improvement.
Contrast is measured with a photometer. I certainly see no reason to suppose that they are lying about it; because it would be so easy a claim to verify (we have a member here at MR who made photometer measurements of a range of eInk screens last year).