Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use the list of chapter titles in the ToC?
Yes I do, and I want to see the list 65 67.01%
No I don't, but still want to see the list 9 9.28%
I don't use the list, and don't care whether it's included 13 13.40%
I don't use the list, and think it's a waste of space 7 7.22%
I prefer not to see a long list of chapter titles. 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #31
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I only use chapters in the TOC for some non-fiction ebooks. Links to individual books is useful in omnibus editions, but not chapters.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #32
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
If you don't like having to think of a title for each chapter, you may simply use the first two or three words of that chapter. I can't remember now in which books I've seen it, but I rather like it in novels, as it seldom gives anything away or tells me what I should prepare for. Just a thought...
Thanks, Paola. I've seen it also on some Lois McMaster Bujold books.

I may have to think again. I'll try not to whinge about the extra work.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #33
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'll try not to whinge about the extra work.
oops, I definitely did not mean that! In fact, I find the first few lines as chapter titles rather intrigue me
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
All ebooks I read must have a working TOC\Navigation.

I can't tell you how many times I hit the back button and lost my place. Also on Kindles a TOC is a must to be able to navigate to the Previous/Next chapter by hitting the left or right arrow key.

One of the first things I check before purchasing a self published books is that it has a TOC if not I'll have to add it through Calibre. Sometimes it's easy by adding the right xPath and sometimes I have to extract the book then open it up in Word and mark the chapters with the right tags. So I am willing to pay more for a book with proper Chapter headers and a working TOC.

The Kindle Fire does not have navigation like other Kindles so a TOC is a must have to be able to navigate a ebook.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-20-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #35
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I don't care whether or not a chapter list has a name beside each chapter, but the TOC must at least navigate to the chapter of the book indicated. I've edited a few books to make it such.

It just makes it a little more pleasant of a read for me.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Are we talking the ToC at the beginning of the book that I have to flip through to get to the actual stuff I want to read? Or the internal one?

Printed ToCs need to die. I can always use the "Go To" function on my reader to go to whatever chapter I want.

I'm a big fan of having ebooks go from Cover (a SINGLE cover) to reading material; put all that extraneous crap at the back of the book.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #37
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
I like this idea and will try and implement it in books I reformat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
If you don't like having to think of a title for each chapter, you may simply use the first two or three words of that chapter. I can't remember now in which books I've seen it, but I rather like it in novels, as it seldom gives anything away or tells me what I should prepare for. Just a thought...
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #38
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Are we talking the ToC at the beginning of the book that I have to flip through to get to the actual stuff I want to read? Or the internal one?

Printed ToCs need to die. I can always use the "Go To" function on my reader to go to whatever chapter I want.

I'm a big fan of having ebooks go from Cover (a SINGLE cover) to reading material; put all that extraneous crap at the back of the book.
Most kindle books automatically put you at the start of chapter 1. You have to page back if you want to see any of that. I can't say I've noticed if my kobo books do that.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #39
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I dig TOCs.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote