Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #31
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I'm not particularly fond of Nook fanboys who hate on the Kindle a month before their new favourite device has even been released.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #32
CyberBiker
CyberBiker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Things that irritate me about my K2:
1. micro-b usb connector - The physical size would seem to fit mini-b.
2. Lack of organizational method (Folders)
3. Inability to read books I BOUGHT for my palm (the DRM'd ones) on my K2
I don't want to circumvent copyright, I just want to read what I paid for.
CyberBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #33
CyberBiker
CyberBiker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
OOPS!

Forgot one: best summarized as "not enough book formats supported"
CyberBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #34
heydi
heydi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
lack of native pdf support on my kindle 2
heydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #35
Giddeaon
Ex Libris....Vita
Giddeaon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
K1 owner....
1. Folder support - PLEASE
2. Native PDF support WITH bookmarks
3. Return of the SD slot and replaceable battery in future Kindle models....this is why I haven't upgraded (I take my kindle camping....no replaceable/spare battery is a biggie for me)
4. A simple software/firmware upgrade that gives you page numbers instead of lines - something as simple as looking at your current selected font size and the total lines in the book and it calculates this into total pages. Add the ability to select between which of the two formats you prefer so that everyone gets to be happy. So, if you like the current format, you can keep it. If you'd prefer a simply calculation of "page 251/563" you can get that instead....and it doesn't have to reflect the print version page numbers - only give me how many more page flips/turns I have to complete the book. This would make reading on an ereader more natural, at least to me.
5. Easily customized screensavers - I dislike the ones on the K1 passionately - in a world where everything else can be customized, the adherence to these horrid screensavers is a irritating. Let me change it up!
6. More supported formats
7. This is more about the Amazon Kindle store - but how about price matching? If I find the ebook (note - I'm only specifying "ebook" here...not used paperbacks, etc.) for less on another ebook provider site....how about Amazon matches or beats that price since I'm stuck purchasing from them?
8. Desktop software (I know it's coming soon!) so that I can read my books on my laptop if I chose (kill some time on my breaks at work!).
Honestly, I LOVE my Kindle 1. I've had it for a little over a year now, and my reading has increased dramatically. I can't imagine going back to those clunky hard covers I used to lug around everywhere.

As for all the "hate" comments about the Nook, etc......I actually look at this all differently. We are fortunate to be experiencing the transition of a long standing medium from the traditional (thousands of years old) printed page into a new digital delivery system. We're in the infancy of ereaders. NONE of the manufacturers have gotten it perfect yet. I, for one, am glad to have the competition out there. It makes each of the companies work harder to give their customers the best product. I want the Nook to do well so that Amazon has to respond with an even better, more user friendly, CHEAPER Kindle to stay competitive. Basically, hate the Nook or be a fanboi of it as much as you like. The Nook is good for Kindle lovers and haters alike.
Giddeaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddeaon View Post
5. Easily customized screensavers - I dislike the ones on the K1 passionately - in a world where everything else can be customized, the adherence to these horrid screensavers is a irritating. Let me change it up!

Are you aware this is pretty easy to do on a Kindle 1?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #37
Neon
Neon began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I would like to see Kindle support more ebook formats and get a native PDF support.

Since I am a new user I do not have that many books in it (1 page still) I still didn't have the need to organize anything.

External memory (SD card) would be fine and a possibility of lending books is something I would like to see.

That's it for now...
Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #38
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I'm not particularly fond of Nook fanboys who hate on the Kindle a month before their new favourite device has even been released.
There are fanbois for everything, there are probably fanbois for particular types of toasters or fridges. I remember hearing about the palm pre, android, *insert new phone* being 'iPhone killers'. Unreleased devices always sound perfect hehe.

The thing I hate most about Kindle is of course DRM. The hardware is ok, I can handle crappy book management and PDF support, but the DRM thing just sucks.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
qbbenub
qbbenub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Don't hate -- but don't use much, either

I was pretty excited when I purchased my Kindle 2 this summer. Small, light, long battery life -- it all sounded so promising. Soon after my purchase, I encountered the Fundamental Problem with the Kindle 2, and possibly all ebook readers: poor typesetting. Anything with typesetting beyond that found in your basic penguin paperback is basically unreadable. My initial excitement wore off quickly. Other than the usual cheap sets of classics, I've purchased only a couple of titles for the kindle. In the same time period, I've purchased a dozen or more (non-fiction) paperbacks. The technology is there. Regrettably, until the formatting catches up, I'll be lugging around dead trees...
qbbenub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #40
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
wow! I've got to ask! what have you been reading? I am approaching 1000 owned and probably close to 300 read. I think I can count on one hand the errors that you mention. one book was taken off Amazon shortly after I complained and another was taken off, fixed and replaced
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #41
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Lack of folders is the biggest Kindle downside. Yes, I know there are workarounds but I would still prefer a folder structure. It appeals to the engineer in me.

Better PDF support would be nice and no DRM even better!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #42
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbbenub View Post
I was pretty excited when I purchased my Kindle 2 this summer. Small, light, long battery life -- it all sounded so promising. Soon after my purchase, I encountered the Fundamental Problem with the Kindle 2, and possibly all ebook readers: poor typesetting. Anything with typesetting beyond that found in your basic penguin paperback is basically unreadable. My initial excitement wore off quickly. Other than the usual cheap sets of classics, I've purchased only a couple of titles for the kindle. In the same time period, I've purchased a dozen or more (non-fiction) paperbacks. The technology is there. Regrettably, until the formatting catches up, I'll be lugging around dead trees...

Really? Unreadable? Really?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #43
qbbenub
qbbenub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
wow! I've got to ask! what have you been reading? I am approaching 1000 owned and probably close to 300 read. I think I can count on one hand the errors that you mention. one book was taken off Amazon shortly after I complained and another was taken off, fixed and replaced
Magazine subscriptions: The Nation, The Atlantic -- subscriptions were later than the newsstand, sometimes by several weeks, content was a subset of the print edition, no pictures or other graphics.

Conversions of PDFs: Here, both image and content mangling made these impossible to read

Books related to music theory: something as simple as text with embedded sharp and flat symbols really messes up the type setting, with the symbols always in a font which appears to be about twice the size of the surrounding text.

Anything containing mathematics (again, extremely poor rendering of symbol fonts)

Novels, or other simply typeset text render pretty well
qbbenub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #44
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't want to quibble, but your experiences are not really "book" reading experiences on the Kindle.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #45
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Lack of folders is the biggest Kindle downside. Yes, I know there are workarounds but I would still prefer a folder structure. It appeals to the engineer in me.

Better PDF support would be nice and no DRM even better!

I have to agree, but having said that; I still love both of my K 1's.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote