Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #31
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I always buy the ebook version of a work if I have the option. I'm very reluctant to buy in paper these days.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #32
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
There are certain authors that I have everything on ebook and others that are split between ebook and paper an other just paper. The Palm TX does not read well in sunlight so I need hardcopy to supplement.

Jeff
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #33
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I think I was inaccurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You actually prefer eReader format? Why?
doh! what awful spelling...

I was imprecise -- I should have said "if I can't get it for my Sony" I'll read something else. In other words, I find electronic format easier to read than pbook format now.

However, I have to admit that I have had some kind of bug (H1N1??) for the last week or so and I don't know if it is just that I feel like crap and my eyes are tired but I'm finding my ebook reader not to be very "readable" this week. Not enough contrast or something... I have felt like reading but haven't felt like using my ebook reader and wound up preferring the brightness of the LCD on my netbook.

Does that sound strange or what?
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #34
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
if it does not come in ebook format, I no longer will read it, no matter how much I might enjoy it. First I have no desire to deal with pbooks anymore and second, I have been reducing the junk we have accumulated over the decades because, well, I am tired of all of it.

I am even divesting my reference library. To me it is just so much necrotizing detritus anymore.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #35
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I no longer buy paperbacks, though I will buy the occasional hardcover or graphic novel. For what it's worth I do like the ereader format when I'm using a device that supports it. I dislike the DRM scheme less than any other and also find the reader program was more robust than the alternatives on both my iPaq and my Palm TX.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #36
cmcarpenter
Carolyn Carpenter
cmcarpenter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
If a book is large and heavy, I much prefer to read it as an ebook.
cmcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #37
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I use my reader while

in the shower.
in bed
in the park
on the bus
on the train
while leaning on a building waiting
at work
at home
in the living room
in the kitchen

the only place I don't use my reader is in a car because I would get sick.

I don't read paper books any more if I can help it
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #38
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Since I purchased my reader, I haven't read a single paperback. I even read the newspaper on the reader (using Calibre to download and format).
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #39
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I use my reader while in the shower.
Could you developed that point further?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #40
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcarpenter View Post
If a book is large and heavy, I much prefer to read it as an ebook.
What if it has hollow covers filled with Helium? Making it only large, but not heavy.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #41
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Now that I actuallyhave the 505, I want everything on it. It is so easy to use and much easier to read then a pbook. Not good in dim locations but my TX is so I'm covered!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 AM   #42
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The only books I don't read on my Reader are pbooks given to me for free.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #43
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I got an ereader so that I wouldn't have any more books taking up room on my shelves. In addition, I got tired of accumulating boxes of books I had to lug out of the house. I mostly read ebooks now. Bulk of the book is no longer a consideration, just the device. If you turn it off, you don't lose your place. I have some regular books, but only because I cannot get that particular text in ebook format.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #44
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I use my ebook reader for novels almost exclusively. Thing is though, I am a nut for typography, which ebooks are not especially good at yet. In many types of lighting, I get annoyed and distracted when my ebook's text gets fuzzy around the edges or pixelated.

Further, although paper books have some serious disadvantages, the interface of my ebooks are just too slow to handle my preferred method of browsing, which is to flip through pages pretty quickly (several page flips per second).

However, my apartment is just too small for all the books I want to read. I have a small collection of books, but it's nice knowing I don't need to buy storage space somewhere in order to keep them (and probably let them get moldy in Taiwan humidity).

Long story short: Paper for tactile feedback, quick interfacing, crisp typography. If those things aren't critical, it's ebook for me.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #45
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I got my 505 last Xmas as the only solution to a critical space problem (there wasn't any left). Since then the only pbooks I've read have been two guides to Copenhagen from my local library and a couple of reference books on html/css (guess who's beginning to make his own ebooks?). The bliss of being able to carry a collection of books around with me, knowing that there's something there for every mood is beautiful. Couldn't live without my reader now.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote