Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
SamiJ
SamiJ began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Classic award frustration!

So I've got quite a stack of awards. And because I guess I'm slightly OCD, I need to collect them all!! Haha!
Ok so I've done some investigation as to how to get the classic attack award. Apparently I was supposed to have gotten Alice in Wonderland, Grim Brothers, Dracula and Sherlock Holmes in my classic folder - when I installed Kobo for the first time, none of those were listed under classics so I downloaded them the Kobo store. After reading some of them, I haven't gotten any % increase in this award. I can only assume that the reading materials may have changed for 2013?

Any news on this?

Also my Off the Wall is not working. I've shared numerous things on FB but still no luck. Pls help!
SamiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Huh weird, I think the Classic award was the first one I got, just because I'd downloaded loads of their free books which contained many classics... I never read them. (And I also got the freeloader award.) This was over a year ago though, so yes, maybe criteria have changed. I've no idea.

Don't know about the Off the Wall, I don't log my device into facebook.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
SamiJ

Mmmm.... I just looked on the award itself and it says you need to plow through 5 classic books that are already in your library.
Mine came with about 10. I've tried reading 1 which came with my library. That did nothing to increase my score either. Gosh this is frustrating!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
This info is specific to the iOS app, as that is where awards originally premiered. Other platforms may have different logic to awarding some of the awards.

So, Classic Attack. Back in the day, the iOS app came with five bundled books:

Pride And Prejudice By Jane Austen 
Grimms' Fairy Tales By The Brothers Grimm 
DThe Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn By Mark Twain 
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland By Lewis Carroll

When you had read and finished (This was ≥ 90% through the book, and closed / marked as finished) these five books you would then be granted the Classic Attack award.

In a future version of the app the books were no longer bundled, meaning you could not achieve the award.

Getting technical for a moment, the logic behind the award was looking for the five books by a unique ID. This is why not just any old classic book will work.

We had copies of the bundled books put on our servers, and modified our code so that it looked for the unique id's as found on our server. It was therefore possible to get the award again.

Furthermore, according to my top secret document, this award was only available on iOS. You could SEE the award on other devices, as the Awards are synced, so if you had an iOS device you could achieve the award and then see it on another device, but you could not actually obtain the award on another device.

Below are the URL's for those five books needed to get the award. You will need to add them to your account (they are free books), then on an iOS device with the Kobo app installed, open each of the five books, and - my preferred method - go to the last page on the last chapter, and use the "Mark as Closed" button to close the book. Repeat this for all of the five books and you should get the Classic Attack award.

I just tried it on a brand new account I setup and so it does appear to be working.

URLS:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Pride...Zlg/page1.html
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Grimm...WUQ/page1.html
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Dracu...7Ug/page1.html
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-A...U-A/page1.html
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Alice...Fbw/page1.html
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
SamiJ

Thanks for the info Sharkus.
I have, in fact added those books.
Of those books, I have finished off the Alice in Wonderland - but when I saw that did nothing to my %, I didn't bother with the others.
Are you saying that I essentially need to finish all 5 before the award shows any % increase?
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiJ View Post
Thanks for the info Sharkus.
I have, in fact added those books.
Of those books, I have finished off the Alice in Wonderland - but when I saw that did nothing to my %, I didn't bother with the others.
Are you saying that I essentially need to finish all 5 before the award shows any % increase?
You need to finish and close the books, so if you have done that on Alice then it should show some progress. As mentioned, you HAVE to do this in the iOS app, it won't work on other platforms.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
SamiJ

wooo hoooo!! it's working!!
Thanks so so much!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Furthermore, according to my top secret document, this award was only available on iOS.
Huh! I wonder why I [think I] got the award then? I must be thinking of something else.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Sharkus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
[...] then on an iOS device with the Kobo app installed, open each of the five books, and - my preferred method - go to the last page on the last chapter, and use the "Mark as Closed" button to close the book.
You cheat!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Huh! I wonder why I [think I] got the award then? I must be thinking of something else.
I am sure the award was on my Touch early last year. And I remember finding the books. But, I never got around to "reading" them to get the award.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post

Thanks for the detailed explanation Sharkus!

You cheat!
1. Perhaps I was looking at an older version of the doc, or searching for the wrong award name - internally some of the awards have different names to what you see in the app, or what they are finally "officially" called.
I know at least one of our eReaders came bundled with books, and later ones did / do not, so that could explain why it was there and is no longer.

2. Alas yes, I am a cheat For some of the awards, there isn't really an alternative to get them, for example, Juggernaut (we actually have special code to give that after [REDACTED] number of pages are turned in a special build of the app)
Having said this, I cannot get all of the awards, there was a bit of a cock up on the award id front at one point, some got reused, and I had those ones. This does not cause problems for anyone else as unless you had the test version of the app, you won't have seen those id's or awards.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Mmm I just looked and it appears I do not have the Classics award (any more??)... Oh well. There are two awards I don't have, and I don't think I'll ever get them. One's for the facebook stuff I'm not going to ever use, the other... oh, I can't even remember.

I do have Juggernaut though!

It would be fun if some more awards would be added! They're all nonsense but it was fun to win them all the same

P.S. Good disclaimer Sharkus
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Sharkus
Evangelist

Facebook one you could just sign into a facebook account (if you have one) get the award and then sign out and never, ever sign back into facebook in our account.

I do agree that more awards would be great. I'm not a fan of some of the other things, but the awards I've always liked. Part of the reason for the lack of them is that there is a great deal of effort involved to create an award, for example:

You have to decide what you want the award to be for, and how this can be implemented and wether you want it for different platforms.
If it's an award that relies on having a specific book in your library it makes it easier as that is a "server side" award, and so the app just consumes the award, the mechanics that unleash it are not in the app. If it's "client side", ie; code needs to go in the app to unleash the award, then it requires us to release an update to the app to make the award live, and unless it's something very, very special, we won't release an app update just for an award, so it'd be rolled into the next scheduled update.

There is also the massive amount of design work for an award. The guys that originally did them spend an awful lot of time on them, serious "designed with love" stuff going on there.

Here's hoping we do see more of them though

Oh, someone noticed my disclaimer I thought I better put it in
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Oh signing into facebook! Dangerous! I'll just pretend the award doesn't exist thanks for the tip though, for just in case I get OCDish later on.

Aahh yes thanks for explaining about the huge work actually involved in the 'tiny' awards. How fun to know they were designed with love Of course some could be sort or recycled, by just duplicating it and changing the requirements to win... like juggernaut could could have a big brother needing even more page turns or something... but I suppose you'd need a new design. Okay fine it's all going to be loads of work. Something fun to look forward to though

Haha yes, I remember the disclaimer 'argument'