Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Any way to rebuild meta data for library?

I got a new PC and it arrived a day earlier than I expected, so I hadn't fully backed everything up - instead, I just stuck the old hard drive into it.

Anyway, I installed Calibre and pointed it to my old library.

It said it was corrupt. I'm guessing because I went from XP to Windows 7, and I knew nothing about that Ownership stuff (where you have to "own" files in order to write to them, but my XP stuff wasn't "owned" by me).

Anyway, I figured that out (I think) and now "own" all those old files. But the metadata file is missing.

I really, really do not want to re-build my library by adding each book by hand (since they are each in their own separate folders...)

Any help would be great.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
To recapitulate: you have a folder that is your calibre library. That library contains lots of folders for authors, etc, eventually arriving at folders that contain readable formats (.epub, .mobi, etc). Along with those readable formats, you find the files "metadata.opf" and (sometimes) "cover.jpg". The problem is that there is either no file "metadata.db" in the library folder, or there is one but it has been recreated and is empty.

If my recapitulation is correct, then you can use calibre's restore database command to get your database back. All your precious metadata is stored in the metadata.opf files. Restore database restores the metadata.db file using the information contained in them.

Make a copy of the library in case something goes wrong, open the library, click the library toolbar button, and select "Library Maintenence" then "Restore database".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Ah, thank you.

Unfortunately it only seems to have recovered about half of it. But better than starting over from scratch...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote