Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Gunnar Staalesen and Fredrik Skagen are two of my favourite Norwegian crime writers.

I've only read two of Dana Stabenow's books about Kate Shugak so far (I started last week), but I really liked them. After finishing the first, I started the next one as soon as I could get online to buy it. I got A Cold Day For Murder for free some time ago but I think it's still free.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I am a massive Jack Reacher fan, and if you liked them then I suggest you will like:

- the Elvis Cole (and Joe Pike) series by Robert Crais (as recommended by DianNC)
- Robert B Parker's Spenser (and Hawk) series
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Here's a bunch that I posted in the series' thread:

The Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith
The Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo
The Jack Caffery series by Mo Hayder
The Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson
The Reykjavik Murder Mysteries by Arnaldur Indridason
The Roland March Mysteries by J. Mark Bertrand
The Simon Ziele series by Stefanie Pintoff
I enthusiastically second Jo Nesbo, Arnaldur Indridasson, and Mo Hayder (and check out Mo Hayder's stand alone novel The Devil of Nanking - wow! Entrancing, disturbing it is a mindf%$# of the first order)
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Gunnar Staalesen and Fredrik Skagen are two of my favourite Norwegian crime writers..
Sadly, I see one ebook for Staalesen and zero for Skagen available in English. I'm really starting to enjoy reading Scandinavian novelists, and I wish there were more available here in the US.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I am a massive Jack Reacher fan, and if you liked them then I suggest you will like:

- the Elvis Cole (and Joe Pike) series by Robert Crais (as recommended by DianNC)
- Robert B Parker's Spenser (and Hawk) series
Have you read any of the Payne & Jones series by Chris Kuzneski? They're former special forces soldiers (retired) and best friends (in the vein of Cole and Pike).

The novels are a bit grittier, IMO, than those of Crais or Child, but I can recommend the first book, The Plantation. Once I started it, I had a hard time putting it down.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sadly, I see one ebook for Staalesen and zero for Skagen available in English. I'm really starting to enjoy reading Scandinavian novelists, and I wish there were more available here in the US.
I thought Skagen had been translated to English, but it looks like I was wrong.

I think four of Staalesen's books have been translated to English so far. Too bad about them not being available as ebooks though.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Have you read any of the Payne & Jones series by Chris Kuzneski? They're former special forces soldiers (retired) and best friends (in the vein of Cole and Pike).

The novels are a bit grittier, IMO, than those of Crais or Child, but I can recommend the first book, The Plantation. Once I started it, I had a hard time putting it down.
Never heard of them. Thanks for the tip. Now on my TBR list.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Mine too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
most of Karen Fossum's Inspector Sejer novels, set in Norway, are available in the US - I read them through Overdrive library, and also saw them on the Sony bookstore.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
+1 on Cole and Pike by Crais;
+1 on any Barry Eisler;
+1 on the early Spensers (hated the later, although Tim Hallinan tells me that his very last book harkened back to his best days);
+1 on the John Sandford Lucas Davenports, as well as the Virgil Flowers' books.

All great reads.

ETA: If you like the Barry Eislers, you might like a few of the books by Trevanian, particularly Shibumi and the Eiger Sanction, both very good. Didn't love all of his, but Shibumi was a wonderful "spin" on action-adventure.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #26
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
För more Scandinavian crime check out http://www.scandinaviancrimefiction.com/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
most of Karen Fossum's Inspector Sejer novels, set in Norway, are available in the US - I read them through Overdrive library, and also saw them on the Sony bookstore.
I have collected the first few. Once I finish the Wallander series from Henning Mankell, this might be the next series I start.

I have read the first three books in the Patrik Hedstrom series by Camilla Läckberg, but I didn't like the first two all that much and am hesitant to recommend the series. The third book was the best, and the subsequent books aren't available yet.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I just got the first book in William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor series (Iron Lake). There are 12 so far. The O'Connor character is described as 'a three-quarters Irish and one-quarter Ojibwe ex-sheriff in Aurora, Minnesota'.

Also collecting some of James Grippando's books from his Jack Swyteck series (a criminal defense lawyer in Miami, FL). I have one, so far -- my book budget is getting hammered this month.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #29
tilia
Evangelist

Quote:
I have read the first three books in the Patrik Hedstrom series by Camilla Läckberg, but I didn't like the first two all that much and am hesitant to recommend the series. The third book was the best, and the subsequent books aren't available yet.
I don't like those much either. I read/listened to the first three, and decided not to read any more of them.

Have you read The Öland Quartet by Johan Theorin? The last one hasn't been published yet, but I liked the first three.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
kaixin
kaixin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
You can't beat the classics (P.D. James and Peter James.) There is just something unique about British crime fiction. My wife also enjoys reading Margaret Maron's books.
kaixin is offline   Reply With Quote