Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
Cool JE-Comics Converter

This software is a java application that can convert a group of images (also from a cbz/zip file) into a single PDF file optimized for The iliad on the Sony reader.
It can also make some filtering to the images (like brightness and contrast enhancements, sharpening...)

This is a java jar to run it you need to have at least java 1.4.
to launch the file execute
java -jar JE-Comics.jar

(under windows it should be possible to run the program just by double clicking on the jar)

The software is provided as is, without any warranty of any type, use it at your own risk

If there is enough interest int this I will continue it's develop, extending its features and eventually release the source under gpl 2 license.

Some notes
The files will be sorted by name so is better that you use file-names like 001 002 and so on.
The issues between java< 1.6 and png files should be fixed in v0.7.1, it is a workaround for a java bug that is fixed in java 1.6.

Official web page: JE-Comic home page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandman 09 (Reprint)-08.jpg
Views:	2092
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	2550   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	2070
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	2551   Click image for larger version

Name:	usm23_p19.jpg
Views:	1724
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	2809  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SampleIliad.pdf (953.1 KB, 2332 views)
File Type: pdf SampleSony.pdf (533.0 KB, 1974 views)
File Type: zip JE-Comics-v0.8.5b.zip (2.13 MB, 881 views)
File Type: zip JE-Comics-v0.8.6.zip (2.14 MB, 1260 views)
File Type: zip JE-Comics-v0.9.0-beta.zip (2.16 MB, 1593 views)

Last edited by Kirys; 09-24-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added JE-Comics v0.9.0
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
Kirys
Zealot

I've uploaded v0.1.1, this release is more usable (is possible to edit the document title, clear the comics list, and the output is better)
Let me know if you like it!
Bye
Advert
Old 01-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Would there be any chance in adding support for converting other image formats (png, gif, etc)?

edit: *ahem* never mind
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
adding support for the Sony Reader would be FANTASTIC. this thing outputs comics easier than any other method people have come up with and they look great on the reader. Looks like just margin changes for the reader need to be addressed. Please post over in the Reader forum! thanks! -lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Kirys
Zealot

Thank you i'll make the post just after this post, but I'm a bit busy this week so till the week end i will not be able to make any modification.
Cya
Advert
Old 01-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Kirys
Zealot

I've uploaded v0.2.0 that have some initial support for the sony reader too.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Loving the program. Would there be any possability of being able to recursively add files in a directory/subdirectory.

The manga I am reading is stored in the following format and it can be a bit time consuming to convert

/comic name/volume X/chapter X/page XXX/

It would be nice to be able to just select /comic name/volume X/ and have it convert all images below that directory.

And to bring back my past post, it turns out that png image conversion does not work, I had a misxture of JPG and PNG in the directory and only the JPG were converted, so could be please have PNG support, pretty please

Keep up the good work.
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
Kirys
Zealot

those are already on my to-do list it is just a matter of time!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Thumbs up

Cool beans! Man, this lil' proggy worked great for the scanlations I was able to find and take it for a test-drive with!

I ended up using this program to stitch all the pages together and then ran the resultant PDF through yet another awesome prog, PDFRasterfarian. This was a quite painless operation and yielded a very readable manga book for my afternoon viewing. In case you're wondering, JECC yeilded a ~26MB PDF (which opened fine and viewed nicely), but I wanted to see how PDFR worked on it as well (actually loaded both results on my Reader to compare side-by-side); this result was a ~12MB LRF that looked awesome. In the past, I've used PDFR on other PDF ebooks that didn't display very well, and knew that it works well, so I decided to team them up.

IMO, the result of both progs were exceptional, though PDFR made the book easier to read due to sharpening and removing of residual ghosting from the original scan. Don't get me wrong, JECC works great as is; I was just testing and wanted a smaller size file (the dimensions for both were the same, so I don't think any resizing needed to be done since JECC already does that) and thoroughly enjoyed the results.

Thanks for the great app, truly unlocking the Reader's potential (or at least mine!). Here's to your karma!

Edit: BTW, if you're using Windows and have Java installed the right way, you can simply double-click the jar to run it. Works for me.

Last edited by Azayzel; 01-25-2007 at 02:42 AM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
Kirys
Zealot

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Cool beans! Man, this lil' proggy worked great for the scanlations I was able to find and take it for a test-drive with!

I ended up using this program to stitch all the pages together and then ran the resultant PDF through yet another awesome prog, PDFRasterfarian. [..]

IMO, the result of both progs were exceptional, though PDFR made the book easier to read due to sharpening and removing of residual ghosting from the original scan. Don't get me wrong, JECC works great as is; I was just testing and wanted a smaller size file (the dimensions for both were the same, so I don't think any resizing needed to be done since JECC already does that) and thoroughly enjoyed the results.
Thank you, I'm happy that you've found my software usefull anyway

JEC is born as a crossplatform solution for create optimized pdf from images, I do plan more features, like some option filtering of source images, but this will take time .
I could add easy cool filters using a lib called JAI, but this would mean that i should add a jar of about 2MB to the package! And I don't like the idea of making it so much bigger for just a couple of filters even if JAI should be faster that java2d.

Bye
Kirys

P.S.
Maybe this post should be moved to a more generic forum due to that fact that now JEC is for both Iliad and Sony reader
Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Sounds like a cool app! Unforntunately, I don't know if I like manga... can I get some recommendations so that I can read my first manga?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Sounds like a cool app! Unforntunately, I don't know if I like manga... can I get some recommendations so that I can read my first manga?
It's kind of tough with manga, since it varies across a wide spectrum, it may be easier to filter your request if you tell us what kind of genre you like; i.e., horror, scifi, action, romance (ick), sports, etc. I personally like the action, fighting, demon fighting, tech stuff. but I also like some of the funny/silly scripts they have (there are a ton available).

Here are a few available (a quick wikipedia will tell you more than I can about them):
Elfen Lies - action
Kaeru gunso - comic
Homunculus - action

There are a ton more, but I haven't really gone through enough of the scanlations to see what meets my tastes. Your best bet would be to d/l a chapter and flick through it real quick to see what you like. Hopefully more people here will make suggestions. I believe there's a manga thread in here somewhere too.

Lastly (RE: JE-Comics Convertor):
I think I read earlier about someone asking if the prog supports png or not. While you can only filter by jpg or all files, I thought I'd throw it at a directory of png's just to see if it'd choke or not... suprisingly, it didn't! I now have a compiled manga that was originally comprised of png-formatted images, not jpg.

[Edit] I did notice a post stating that the program choked with mixed formats; i.e., png & jpg in same folder, my test actually had a mix of the two and when the resultant PDF was checked, they were all there intact. Not sure if this was fixed in a version update since the original post.

Last edited by Azayzel; 01-25-2007 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added to update about reported PNG/JPG conversion issues
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Kirys
Zealot

Actually it don't load PNG yet, just because I forgot to add the support :P (i focused only on the resolution issues), next version will I promise

Did someone tested the lossless format on the sony?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Btw, is the source code available? I'd like to make a "iliad landscape" mode... for viewing my b&w pictures. Well, actually for showing off, but still...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
Kirys
Zealot

I do plan to release the source code eventually. But actually I want to finish the base architecture of the software and its main features (i should also decide an os license compatible with the libs I'm using).

BTW you want to make an higher version of the output or you want to just rotate the image?
If you want to rotate the image select the checkbox under the R colum fo the images you want to rotate