Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Goya, Francisco: La Tauromaquia y Los toros de Burdeos (Illustrated). v5 8 Feb 2009

Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes (1746-1828) was a Spanish painter and printmaker. He was court painter but also painted popular scenes and events. Much of the image we have now of the 18th-19th century in Spain is in "Goyesque" style, as shown by his paintings and drawings. He has been regarded both as the last of the old masters and as the first of the moderns.

"La Tauromaquia" (Tauromachia, Bullfighting) (1816) is a series of 33 etchings (plus 7 "backsides", plus 3 discarded tests) commemorating the story and most famous events of the Spanish national "sport" (which I personally loathe). Despite the unifying theme, it is a varied series from the artistic point of view, with some pieces ahead of its time (like the composition in number 21, unimaginable in the art of the time).

"Los toros de Burdeos" (The Bulls at Bordeaux) (1825) is a series of 4 lithographs made by Goya in the French city of Bordeaux. Again with a bullfighting theme, but now more directed towards the popular feast around it.

This is a "book" with no text, just the pictures (and their titles). The pictures are all scanned from an excellent paper edition, except two unpublished plates, taken from the Spanish National Library (link).

I'm uploading two versions. The one named *_SmIm.mobi has smaller (in filesize and dimensions) images, to comply with mobipocket limitations/specifications. The "large images" (and better quality) version works fine in the Cybook and in the Mobipocket Desktop Reader, though, so my advice is to use this if your reader supports it.

All kind of feedback is welcome.

EDIT (v2): Added the three missing images, and titles for each etching.

EDIT (v3): Added "Los toros de Burdeos".

EDIT (v4): Included thumbnails in the TOC and a gallery of miniatures.

EDIT (v5): New scans, now full size and good quality

(previous download count: 29 & 28)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi La Tauromaquia.mobi (11.13 MB, 599 views)
File Type: mobi La Tauromaquia_SmIm.mobi (2.68 MB, 720 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 11-02-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed the last 3 pictures were missing. And since they are rather small, I guess there is enough space to add a title for each one of the etchings (not only in the table of contents). Uploaded v2.
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Added the 4 lithographs of the series "Los toros de Burdeos". Sorry for so quick an update
Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Added the 4 lithographs of the series "Los toros de Burdeos". Sorry for so quick an update
It´s getting better and better. Thanks, Jellby!
Olé
Ravenne
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I'm glad you like it. I think we are missing an "Art", or "Visual", or something else, category in book uploads... I've labelled these as "Other Non-Fiction", but much art is clearly fiction
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I have been adding an "art" tag to all my art-related uploads.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I included thumbnails in the TOC and a gallery of miniatures for quickly getting to any image (although in the Cybook you have to go through all the miniatures one by one). Uploaded v4.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Now it's the turn for updating this series. The new scans greatly improve the previous small and poorish ones. Enjoy!

Uploaded v5.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Jellby:

Your .mobi ebooks open properly in Mobipocket Reader on my WinXP computer.

However, I could not convert this .mobi to .html using tompe's mobi2html or my Mobi2IMP since the database name is too long i.e. is 32 characters and has no terminating NULL byte. Once I hex edited the 32nd byte in the file to be a NULL (00), then it worked/converted.
Code:
FULLFILENAME: E:\ebooks\Mobileread-ebooks\Jellby\La Tauromaquia_SmIm.mobi
FILENAME: La Tauromaquia_SmIm.mobi
UNPACK DIRECTORY: unpacked
bogus database name! is this really a PalmOS file? at Palm/PDB.pm line 537.
tompe's Mobiperl expects the database name to be NULL terminated and if it already has reached its max. of 32 characters, then there is no room for the NULL byte.

Could you re-upload with a shorter database name?

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-08-2009 at 09:48 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
tompe's Mobiperl expects the database name to be NULL terminated and if it already has reached its max. of 32 characters, then there is no room for the NULL byte.

Could you re-upload with a shorter database name?
Strange... because it was created with tompe's html2mobi (I would expect it to correctly truncate the database name if needed, actually I never worried about the database name).

Anyway, I'll upload them with a shorter database name (done), but since I fixed that with mobi2mobi's --databasename, I guess you could have done that as well (this is not to reproach you, but just something you could try if you encounter the problem again).

By the way, I can give you the source HTML for any of my books, if you want them.

Last edited by Jellby; 02-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Strange... because it was created with tompe's html2mobi (I would expect it to correctly truncate the database name if needed, actually I never worried about the database name).
tompe has known about this issue per this Dev-Hub ticket #22. I guess it's not going to be fixed anytime soon, so shorter database names seems the "easy" solution.

Quote:
Anyway, I'll upload them with a shorter database name, but since I fixed that with mobi2mobi's --databasename, I guess you could have done that as well (this is not to reproach you, but just something you could try if you encounter the problem again).

By the way, I can give you the source HTML for any of my books, if you want them.
Oh, I can get the source HTML once I convert the .mobi to .imp with my Mobi2IMP. Do you mind if I upload this ebook in .imp format? Others you may produced in .prc format only?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Oh, I can get the source HTML once I convert the .mobi to .imp with my Mobi2IMP. Do you mind if I upload this ebook in .imp format? Others you may produced in .prc format only?
I don't mind at all, it's an honour to have my books converted

If you are going to do even some minor editing, you may find the source HTML more convenient, they have human-readable anchor names, images referenced multiple times are not duplicated (and the SRC attribute is the IMG tag is thus identical), the lines are wrapped and spaced out for easier reading, and as I said elsewhere, I use different codes for apostrophes and right single quotes, when needed...
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
I don't mind at all, it's an honour to have my books converted

If you are going to do even some minor editing, you may find the source HTML more convenient, they have human-readable anchor names, images referenced multiple times are not duplicated (and the SRC attribute is the IMG tag is thus identical), the lines are wrapped and spaced out for easier reading, and as I said elsewhere, I use different codes for apostrophes and right single quotes, when needed...
Thanks, I'll convert some.

BTW, you could add the source HTML for this ebook, for informative purposes, but uploading the pictures along with it may be overkill, as they can be easily extracted from the .mobi's (but unfortunately .jpgs those are renamed and thus won't match your source). Anyways, it's your call, if you want to include the original pictures, despite the slooow uploading time.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

OK, fixed the thumbnails for the "SmIm" version.

Here is the source HTML. The images, as you say, are maybe too big to upload (they can be extracted from the .mobi file, they only have to be renamed ), but I plan to upload the illustrations of all the books I've done to my webpage. At the moment I have the books themselves: http://djelibeibi.unex.es/libros/ (only those free of copyright in Europe, where the server is located).
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip La Tauromaquia.zip (3.2 KB, 481 views)

Tags
art, bullfighting, engravings