suing

Only in the USA

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
Yup! only in the USA. I thought it couldn't get any sillier.
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Why is this silly? Because sex is involved? Yeah, sex is a funny thing, but if the nature of her work required her to go through motions that caused physical damage, she has as much right to sue as any other worker. Whether suing as a whole is the right answer, is open to debate, and I won't discuss the morality or legitimacy of the "sex worker" trade, but I don't see her situation as fundamentally different from any other worker required to make repetitive motions.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 09-19-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Why is this silly? Because sex is involved? Yeah, sex is a funny thing, but if the nature of her work required her to go through motions that cased physical damage, she has as much right to sue as any other worker. Whether suing as a whole is the right answer, is open to debate, and I won't discuss the morality or legitimacy of the "sex worker" trade, but I don't see her situation as fundamentally different from any other worker required to make repetitive motions.

Your having a laugh

Chris
Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
It's silly to me because we sue about many frivolous situations and maybe silly was the wrong word.

I do agree that her job may have caused Carpal tunnel, thats not good and maybe she should be compensated if her work was the cause. But she should take some resposibility because carpal tunnel does give signs before it becomes critical.

Up here in PA we have a situation where a couple is suing the city of Philly for improper supervision of their special needs child by child services and their child died. What infurates me is that the couple who's child died is the couple who starved the child to death.
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
It is actually quite ridiculous what the courts let people get away with concerning suing. If people didn't actually win frivolous lawsuits, they wouldn't be so popular... then again, there are a lot of stupid people in the U.S. (and every other country too), but I think our population density helps further the amount of dumb/silly/inane lawsuits; you know, more people = greater number of perceived loonies.

As to the sex worker... there are a lot of positions she could have utilized, so it's her own fault if she never changed it up any. Ok, okay, in er case she could have used some *other* accessories besides her hands; at least she was getting paid to, well, you know...

Last edited by Azayzel; 09-19-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6REW View Post
Your having a laugh

Chris
I don't know if Taylor is having a laugh or not, but to me it just looks like a regular worker's comp case. Repetitive stress injuries are supposed to be covered under worker's comp ... regardless of the type of work, but assuming that the trade is legal.

Generally, the employee pays into the worker's comp fund, so it's sad when they have to sue the employer in order to get coverage. The fact that it happened to be a sex trade worker doesn't automatically make it a frivolous lawsuit. If it were, it likely would have been thrown out of court.

I suppose the fact that it was a sex worker does make it funny, in a juvenile sort of way. However, I guess I've outgrown that sort of humor ... I much prefer the completely inane stuff .... on the job injuries just don't get a big laugh with me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi All,

I am amazed at the genuine statements from you outside the UK. We have all seen this as a joke in the UK, but not for the barrack room sex angle. It just seems crazy that someone would genuinely sue a company for such an injury.

Please don't take offence as none is meant, but it does seem incredible.

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm in the Uk and don't find work-related injuries especially amusing. Sex workers clearly need a trade union.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Hi All,

I am amazed at the genuine statements from you outside the UK. We have all seen this as a joke in the UK, but not for the barrack room sex angle. It just seems crazy that someone would genuinely sue a company for such an injury.

Please don't take offence as none is meant, but it does seem incredible.

Best regards

Chris
Well, in this country (the US) we have a system called "workers compensation". I think it exists in every state in the US, although I could be wrong.

The idea behind worker's comp is that the employer either pays into the fund or portion of your paycheck goes into the worker's compensation fund (I think ... this is NOT my area of law), and then if you have a job related injury, your employer is supposed to provide for your medical care for that injury under worker's comp.

However, if the employer denies that it is a work related injury, and you don't have alternative medical insurance ... you are pretty much dead in the water unless you have the money to pay for medical care privately.

So, this particular woman had an on the job injury, and her employer denied that it was an on the job injury, so she had to take the employer to court in order to get payment for her medical care.

If the employer had simply agreed that it was a work related injury, there would have been no reason for the suit.

The article ... well, really, the title of the thing is just stupid and salacious. However, I suppose that if the title were merely, "Woman Sues Employer for Work Related Injury" ... no one would read it. Granted, it's a weird job, and I would not want to be doing it .... but, an on the job injury is just that, pure and simple.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:32 AM   #11
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Ricky,

Many thanks for the explanation, but you must try and take on board that we in the UK and I have now found some Americans see this as a joke through and through. To have someone sue for such an injury beggars belief to us.

But hey that's what makes us different.

I would certainly not call the title 'stupid', 'salacious' maybe, but as you can see I stole the title from the article.

So just chill out and take it for what it is, a bit of a laugh and no more.

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
...we in the UK ... see this as a joke through and through. To have someone sue for such an injury beggars belief to us.
Not me.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should be equally entitled to legal protection.
Maybe the people who find this story amusing are laughing at the legal system rather than the claimant (but then why choose a sex worker case to demonstrate the point ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm in the Uk and don't find work-related injuries especially amusing. Sex workers clearly need a trade union.
In England, they have one - the English Collective of Prostitutes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:36 AM   #14
C6REW
Connoisseur

Hi Sparrow,

Guess that makes you more American than Brit then

Honestly do you not find this amusing?

It is a very sad state of affairs when we find ourselves wanting to sue for all and anything. Some years ago I went to a restaurant for a curry in Bangor. I was staying with my Brother overnight at his University. By the morning it was obvious that I had food poisoning.

His friends where very keen that I should take legal action. However, by lunchtime the owner of the restaurant was aware of the food poisoning and took the decision to not have the curry night which was using his left over meat.

To me that was all that was required. So I lost a day of business. What was the point of going to the lengths of a legal action to achieve what he had agreed to do?

Best regards

Chris
Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Hi Sparrow,
Guess that makes you more American than Brit then
Honestly do you not find this amusing?
Not especially.
But that's not to say I object if you do .
I wouldn't have commented; only your post was apparently speaking on behalf of everyone in the UK, so I thought I'd point out that wasn't actually the case.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote