Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I, for one, have not lost hope! There will be two new devices. When, I can't say. Soon, I hope!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #32
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I hope they will announce a new model or two soon. Most of the reader models advertised on their website are sold out. They might tempt me to buy a Mini, if they HAD any for sale!
The Mini has been gone for a long time. Over a year. Not sure why it's still on the product splash page. If you want an unlighted one, you have to get the Kobo Touch.

Best bet would be to get a refurbished Glo for $79, or wait for the new devices.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd like to see a reader with a different aspect ratio. I feel 3x4 makes line widths too long for smaller font sizes. I think 2x3 would be better.

But I'd settle for one with a non-glass substrate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #34
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
2x3 is a bit smaller than my phone screen, and I find that too small to bother reading on (but I have crappy eyesight). Why not just increase the side margins on your readers to force narrower widths so you can still use e-ink?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
2x3 is a bit smaller than my phone screen, and I find that too small to bother reading on (but I have crappy eyesight). Why not just increase the side margins on your readers to force narrower widths so you can still use e-ink?
No, not 2x3 inches, but an aspect ratio of 2x3, a bit 'narrower' or 'taller' than 3x4, i.e. 2.67x4 or 3x4.5 (same ratio, different numbers).

I agree it's unlikely that any manufacturer will do so. But perhaps someone will eventually do a 9x16.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #36
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I agree it's unlikely that any manufacturer will do so. But perhaps someone will eventually do a 9x16.
Like just about every Android tablet and smartphone under the sun? My phone is 16:9, and I think that's too narrow (at 5" diagonal anyway). I can (and do, sometimes) read on it, but I much prefer my 4:3 H2O. To each his own, I guess
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #37
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Oprah and her new selection of books are irrelevant to me and I'm sure there are many out there with feelings that are mutual.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #38
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
So all this fuss was about an american tv personality who is generally irrelevant in the rest of the world? Will it help sell more KOBOs in the USA?
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #39
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
So all this fuss was about an american tv personality who is generally irrelevant in the rest of the world? Will it help sell more KOBOs in the USA?
Actually, she's an aging has been who is quite past her expiration date.
About six years ago, she threw herself full stop into the American Presidential politics.
Since one stinky major party candidate is like every other stinky major party candidate, her reputation was squandered stumping for someone who delivered an entirely different agenda from what they ran on.

Now she is throwing turds against the wall in all directions, hoping something will stick with the populace and allow her to regain some measure of her former popularity.

How many people who have ever suffered through her insipid talk show think she reads books all the way through?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I never suffered through her, I was too busy reading...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #41
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whatever. As soon as Kobo announces the Alyssum I'll be all over it. I've been looking to move to Kobo for a while, but can't really justify it unless there's new screen tech involved.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Whatever. As soon as Kobo announces the Alyssum I'll be all over it. I've been looking to move to Kobo for a while, but can't really justify it unless there's new screen tech involved.
There is new screen tech involved in the H20. The H2O is using the new HD+ Carta screen at 6.8". So if you are waiting for new screen tech in order to move to Kobo, you can get the H2O as it's here now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #43
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is new screen tech involved in the H20. The H2O is using the new HD+ Carta screen at 6.8". So if you are waiting for new screen tech in order to move to Kobo, you can get the H2O as it's here now.
It's the same panel as my Onyx T68, with perhaps slightly improved contrast (and much lower minimum brightness and an accurate touchscreen and no spontaneous bootloops and...)

If the Alyssum is a 6" instead of a 6.8", I'll get the H2O. Really hoping that's not the case.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #44
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
oprah? really?

Over done and a waste of time for Kobo. Its like the movie reviewers.. If they don't do the genre of movie that you individually like its all a bad review. What you like and give 5 thumbs up to, others may give 5 thumbs down. When I want to read a book I make my choices on what I like and the synopsis of said book and go from there. The bottom line is Oprah will never influence my reading choices knowingly.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #45
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Feb 11th

So, today is the day after, did I miss the big announcement? I can't hold my breath any longer. Some please enlighten me?
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote