Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I bought a Nook HD for travelling as I need a good screen, for me a cheaper lighter mini iPad is no good if the trade off is a screen resolution worse than the Nook HD which is around 243. The current mini ipad is 163. I don't want to see pixels when I read.
Do you see pixels when you read on your Kindle Keyboard or Kindle Touch? The iPad Mini has pretty much the same pixel density as those devices do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #62
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you see pixels when you read on your Kindle Keyboard or Kindle Touch? The iPad Mini has pretty much the same pixel density as those devices do.
I don't see them on the Kindle Keyboard as I only read ebooks on that. I sold my Kindle Touch. The problem for me with the mini is I want to read my fan fiction PDFs which I cannot get into any other format easily (or at all in some cases) and they need a decent tablet screen resolution. They aren't a factor with my Kindle Keyboard or Paperwhite as I can't (and won't) read PDFs on my Kindle.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No small tablet is good for PDFs. You really do need a larger-screen device for that.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #64
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No small tablet is good for PDFs. You really do need a larger-screen device for that.
I keep being told that and keep saying the same thing. I need to travel with a small tablet so I have to work with the best screen I can get, taking price into account, and right now that is not the current ipad mini.

My Nook HD will have to do for now
Old 07-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I don't see them on the Kindle Keyboard as I only read ebooks on that. I sold my Kindle Touch. The problem for me with the mini is I want to read my fan fiction PDFs which I cannot get into any other format easily (or at all in some cases) and they need a decent tablet screen resolution. They aren't a factor with my Kindle Keyboard or Paperwhite as I can't (and won't) read PDFs on my Kindle.
A bit OT but http://flagfic.com and the FFDL plug-in for Calibre work great for converting fanfics from a variety of websites into epub and mobi formats.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #66
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
With a high enough resolution, it can be. If I'm able to read the same size characters on 600dpi laser-printed paper but can't read it on the tablet, that just means resolution on the tablet isn't high enough (and I usually print PDFs with lots of pages in booklet mode so effective physical size of that is probably smaller than what would be rendered on the iPad Mini).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Doesn't work with my eyesight, I'm afraid. An A4/Letter page shrunk to fit on a 7" tablet is just too damned small for my vision, no matter how high the resolution is .
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #68
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
With a high enough resolution, it can be. If I'm able to read the same size characters on 600dpi laser-printed paper but can't read it on the tablet, that just means resolution on the tablet isn't high enough (and I usually print PDFs with lots of pages in booklet mode so effective physical size of that is probably smaller than what would be rendered on the iPad Mini).
In landscape i can read pdfs even on my 4.3 inch phone. Can't see a whole page at once, but the text ismore than big enough to be readable.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #69
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Doesn't work with my eyesight, I'm afraid. An A4/Letter page shrunk to fit on a 7" tablet is just too damned small for my vision, no matter how high the resolution is .
I've been able to work out (which hasn't been easy tbh) the reflow option on Mantano an Android app that works with PDFs. In iOS I can use Goodreader but the Mantano app works better.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #70
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
A bit OT but http://flagfic.com and the FFDL plug-in for Calibre work great for converting fanfics from a variety of websites into epub and mobi formats.
I have never been happy with any PDF conversions, they don't flow properly. Headers and Trailers and Page Numbers merge into sentences so I'd rather read the native PDFs. But thanks for the links
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #71
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
I keep being told that and keep saying the same thing. I need to travel with a small tablet so I have to work with the best screen I can get, taking price into account, and right now that is not the current ipad mini.

My Nook HD will have to do for now
That new nexus 7 is looking pretty sweet!! From what Ive seen the screen looks amazing, unlike the first nexus, more like an ipad 3 or 4. I'll find it amazing if AAPL doesnt ship a mini retina this cycle, as Android tabs have been killing the Apple resolution of 1024x768 in a smaller package.

Of course I also find it amazing that apples OS hasnt really changed GUI since its original launch
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I'll find it amazing if AAPL doesnt ship a mini retina this cycle, as Android tabs have been killing the Apple resolution of 1024x768 in a smaller package.
Sales of the Mini would seem to suggest that it's far from dead. If it is dead, it's a pretty healthy corpse .
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #73
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
That's why their probably won't be a retina version next year. If anything Apple are geniuses at slowly dragging out the rate of innovations or improvements. One year it's one thing and then next year it's another even when they could add all the improvements at one time.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #74
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
In landscape i can read pdfs even on my 4.3 inch phone. Can't see a whole page at once, but the text ismore than big enough to be readable.
That doesn't really give enough detail to be clear.
Maybe you could tell us how many letters you can see at once across the screen.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #75
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

An ipad mini with retina screen will be worth waiting for. I currently travel with my iPhone and Nook, my long term plan is not to replace the iPhone but to replace the Nook with the retina mini ipad and get a cheap phone. The iPhone is a crap phone IMO so I'd rather have a pay as you go phone and a 3G mini ipad, but I want the retina screen one, nothing else is good enough.