Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #16606
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I absolutely adored Harkaway's Angelmaker.

Currently "getting my Walt Longmire on."
(somewhere in #3, maybe #4 by the time you read this.)
Three cheers for Wyoming!
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #16607
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I absolutely adored Harkaway's Angelmaker.

Currently "getting my Walt Longmire on."
(somewhere in #3, maybe #4 by the time you read this.)
I am eagerly awaiting for June 4th and the release of A Serpent's Tooth.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #16608
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Game of Thrones and it was very well written. Now back to trashy thrillers with John D MacDonald's The Dreadful Lemon Sky
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #16609
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
If you're a fan of epic fantasy and have enjoyed novels such as The Name of the Wind, you've got to read Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. I'm only 20% in but it's a real page-turner; fast-paced and action-packed, had me hooked from the very first page.

It's the first book in the Raven's Shadow trilogy.
Thanks for the rec. Have put it on my wish list.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #16610
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thanks for the rec. Have put it on my wish list.
I'm putting in on my wish list too. I second the thanks!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #16611
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Enchanter Reborn by L. Sprague de Camp and Christopher Stasheff.
Excellent. A very good collection of stories about Harold Shea, the Incompleat Enchanter.

Next I read one from my pile, The Land of Big Blue Apples by Don Wilcox, that I bought back in April 2005.

It was a reprint of a pulp novella from 1946. It had one or two good points, but was essentially rubbish.

I've been organising my ebooks in calibre at last, including all the freebies I've got over the years from ebook stores. 4202 at last count, but that might still include some duplicates. I'm just going through and adding in the date I got the book, and the price paid, and whether I can remember reading it.

And so, I'm going to read my books very recently bought, or the oldest non-read books in my list.

So: on to Pandora's Legions by Christopher Anvil. This is an omnibus edition edited by Eric Flint. Bought in very early 2002 for about $3. It's just possible I've already read it, but I didn't recognise the first few pages.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #16612
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
Please tell us which translation you pick and why. Thank you and happy reading!
I finally settled on Samuel Butler's prose translation of The Iliad. I've managed to get to book five without losing the plot so this seems to be the one for me. Maybe I'll try to read another translation sometime when I've run out of other books to read!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #16613
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Because I want to see the movie sooooo bad, but not before I've finaly read the book first.
I really liked this book, witch I didn't expect. So yeah, my 2th classic this year (counting the Hobbit). Now on to the movie
Next up: Legend by Marie Lu.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #16614
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I had a small side-track with a novella called The Breaking by Dusk Peterson. It's a freebie that introduces a series of novellas partially aggregated into a number of volumes. The series is called The Eternal Dungeon which won a Rainbow Award for best gay fantasy in 2011.

It's a rather interesting premise about the use of torture to break prisoners into confessing their crimes but coming from the fairly unique angle of the torturers setting the prisoners' interests before their own. In this particular world, this was the birth of its modern psychology. So I read the freebie first novella to see if I would be interested in reading the whole series.

It was pretty good actually. There really wasn't any LGBT content in the first novella so I'm assuming same-sex relationships and/or sex scenes are either an incidental or fundamental component of later novellas given its award. There seems to be a reasonable amount of scope for continuing to explore the psychology of torture, but given how restricted the setting is, how the inhabitants of the dungeon relate is likely to become a focal point at some stage.

Anyway, I may buy the first volume of 4 novellas in the series and give them a go a bit later. It's a bit pricey at about $8 for 420 pages, but given I've read the first novella it's not like I haven't had a pretty good sample. It hasn't dissuaded me and it's not like I'm risking the mortgage on my house.

Quote:
'Do you have any questions?' the Seeker asked. 'About the routine of the dungeon? The times you will be fed? The questions you will be asked? The instruments of torture I use?'"

The prisoner knew that the Eternal Dungeon was a place where suspected criminals were broken by torture, and he was prepared to hold out against any methods used against him – except the method he could not anticipate.

Arrested on the charge of committing a particularly horrendous murder, young Elsdon Taylor arrives at the Eternal Dungeon in fear of the harsh methods used by the torturers, called Seekers, to draw confessions from their prisoners.

But his Seeker's methods are for more devious than Elsdon had expected. Now Elsdon is faced with a choice that will shape his future . . . as well as the future of his Seeker.

This novella can be read on its own or as the first story in the first volume of The Eternal Dungeon, an award-winning historical fantasy series set in a land where the psychologists wield whips.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #16615
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I'm reading Martin Limon's Jade Lady Burning - a murder mystery set in 1970's South Korea featuring two US Army CID investigators. I'm enjoying it for the sense of place and time.
I've enjoyed this series very much - to the extent of teaching myself to read the Korean alphabet and some basic phrases - it's a fascinating language. The series is gritty, violent, and seems quite factually based in time and place.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #16616
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I enjoyed Jade Lady Burning enough that I'm reading Slicky Boys (#2) now. I am having some problem with credibility; is it realistic that the military would tolerate such loose cannons?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #16617
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt) & Chris Wooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Clue in the Jewel Box was another Nancy Drew Mystery and, as usual, a fun read for me.

The Name of the Wind was a totally unexpected and quite pleasant surprise! Because of my recent negative reaction to George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones when I'd tried reading it and a preconceived notion I had (totally unwarranted), for whatever reason, about Patrick Rothfuss (I kinda' thought of him as a younger version of GRRM) I was expecting to not care for it. I was dead wrong!! Anyway, it was a very enjoyable read and I'm looking forward to the other two books in The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy.

Next, Taken, (Alex Verus #3) by Benedict Jacka and The Secret in the Old Attic, Nancy Drew #21) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt).
Taken was a really great read that was quite exciting and contained multiple unexpected plot twists and surprises. I'll be looking forward to a 4th book in this series that will be available the last week of August.

The Secret in the Old Attic, a Nancy Drew Mystery was, as usual, a nostalgic and fun read for me.

Next will be The Clue in the Crumbling Wall (Nancy Drew #22) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt). I might have just read this one a few months ago and if that proves to be true, I'll probably just skip ahead to Nancy Drew #23. Along with Nancy Drew is The Iron Jackal (Tales of the Ketty Jay #3) by Chris Wooding.

Last edited by alansplace; 05-20-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #16618
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm reading the Golem and the Jinni. It's fantastic.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #16619
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I'm reading Twilight because I picked it up for $1 at a library sale for the sheer hell of it. It's brain candy but I'm not enraged by stupidity like I expected to be.

I just have to laugh at what a sight I must be though; a 35 year old, 6'1 husky boy with a goatee, shaved head, and tattoos sitting and intently reading something so far outside my demographic.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #16620
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished Knife of Dreams, the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series, and really enjoyed it. At least in this one something happens. In the previous one I don't think anything moved the story forward at all.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote