Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #61
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm slightly disappointed, but I never got my hopes up for one. Apple has a knack for making good products, and absolutely adore my MacBook and my Mac Mini, but I just don't think it's in Apple's vision.
Mobile Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #62
pan.sapiens
pan.sapiens began at the beginning.

Device: none
@ Yoshi:
Yeah I noticed that after writing .
My real point was that having to learn additional software interfaces, such as itunes, does not make things easier -it makes things harder. The fact that I did this the wrong way first time round illustrates this. This is doubly the case where extra software interfaces are needed to get other files (like text files) onto the device. Each of these software interfaces just works to overcome the locked down nature of the device -they do not "add value" in the sense of letting you do anything you couldn't do anyway if the device was more open. If the phone just appeared as removable storage when I plugged it in, and allowed me to drag and drop files as normal, I could use it out of the box, without having to RTFM. Yes, I should RTFM, but if I have to it doesn't "just work".

edit: I'll add that using the most popular device, here iphone, is generally the way to go IMHO, just because the of the better software development (both official and unofficial) which goes with a wide user base. So there are pros and cons here. I'm not trying to apple bash here, I just wish apple products were more open.

Last edited by pan.sapiens; 11-21-2009 at 01:44 AM.
pan.sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #63
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I think synchronizing media via softwares like iTunes is by far superior to simple drag'n'drop because you can let it sync everything or just specific playlists and even smart playlists automatically. You also can use iTunes' intelligent media organization based on meta tags instead of having to rely on old-style folder management.

That said, this method has also downsides, especially for the iPhone. The iPod is for music and videos only so I don't see a problem there. With the iPhone however you may want to use it more like a mini computer and may want to transfer files different than those iTunes supports. I agree that it's a shame you can't even transfer text documents or PDF files to the iPhone. The workaround to email those files to yourself to be able to view them on your phone is pathetic.

So I think iTunes should be able to transfer files other than multimedia as well. Preferably via an additional tab in the iPhone view where you could just select folders or even single files to watch and sync. Meaning that whenever something is dropped in that selected folder, iTunes automatically syncs it the next time the iPhone is connected. Of course the question would be how to manage those files on the iPhone, e.g. throw them all in one folder or organizing them in some kind.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #64
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think it really depends on how you listen and what kind of music you have, whether syncronising via iTunes adds value or not. I don't find it helps me at all. I tend to listen to one album at a time, rather than mixed playlists. I don't buy music online, I rip CDs - the metadata aren't always correct and it messes up automatic playlists. I would love to be able to drag and drop within finder instead of having to use a specific application for this.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote