Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Reading Chair?

I'm surprised I haven't seen more pages on the internet regarding this topic.

I'm trying to get a great reading chair for myself, and I thought this would be a great place to fish for ideas. What kind of chairs do you think are conducive to reading? I find that most either you fall asleep in or don't have enough/any neck support (also it's hard to get a good chair for a tall dude).

My ideal is some kind of lounge chair that has good leg & arm supports, but I'd like to hear everyone else on what they use and what their ideal could be if they were to get a new chair.
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
This is going to be completely useless to you, but I love reading in two different chairs:

My office/computer chair: ergonomically designed, fully padded arm-rests, leather, etc.

One of those metal folding chairs, you know the kind I'm talking about. For some odd reason they provide the right kind of support for my back and I can sit and read in one of those puppies for hours.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen more pages on the internet regarding this topic.

I'm trying to get a great reading chair for myself, and I thought this would be a great place to fish for ideas. What kind of chairs do you think are conducive to reading? I find that most either you fall asleep in or don't have enough/any neck support (also it's hard to get a good chair for a tall dude).

My ideal is some kind of lounge chair that has good leg & arm supports, but I'd like to hear everyone else on what they use and what their ideal could be if they were to get a new chair.
Good question! I will be furniture shopping soon and would also appreciate some opinions for short chicks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
This is going to be completely useless to you, but I love reading in two different chairs:

My office/computer chair: ergonomically designed, fully padded arm-rests, leather, etc.

One of those metal folding chairs, you know the kind I'm talking about. For some odd reason they provide the right kind of support for my back and I can sit and read in one of those puppies for hours.
Those metal chairs make my butt go to sleep!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
As I'm tall too, I have always had issues finding "comfortable" chairs.
Bottom line is you could sit anywhere, but to find somewhere comfortable where you can lay for hours, without back pains, its really hard.

In my experiencie the best are the ones that old nans use when knitting (in the imaginary american culture would be those outside, in the porch)
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
This is something I've been thinking about lately too. My ideal chair would be a recliner of some sort with a small form factor, collapsible arms and wheels. Think a scaled-down zero-gravity chair merged with a task chair. I don't have room in here for another chair, so if I had something like that, I could roll it up to the desk for working or roll it away from the desk and kick back to read. It would be like two chairs in one.

When we rearrange the living room (again) I'll have room for a regular recliner, which I would love, but my roommate watches TV in there and I prefer to be alone when I read. (Actually, I prefer to be alone 90% of the time regardless of what I'm doing, but that's a separate issue.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I suggest you go with a regular poetry appreciation chair :-)
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Overstuffed La-z-boy recliner, sometimes with a horse shoe shaped neck pillow (depends if one or both of my twin girls are sitting on my stomach or not).
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I have a comfy office chair, that is designed in the style of the leather arm chairs with the buttons. Big overstuff thing that I can lounge in.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Overstuffed La-z-boy recliner, sometimes with a horse shoe shaped neck pillow (depends if one or both of my twin girls are sitting on my stomach or not).
Make this a second vote for the La-Z-Boy rocker-recliner.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quite a while back I broke my neck in a horrific accident. It was operated on and still carries a metal plate and screws and a lot of bone overgrowth. As result I have constant neck pain and need a chair with a very upright back that goes all the way up to the back of my head. So I have an office chair bought with that in mind.

But I also like an 18th-century high-backed wing-armchair with a footstool. This sort of thing:

DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does Porcelein Count?
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@DMB

Sorry to hear about your accident, it really sounds horrible and as if it is still painfull!

These are my favourite chairs, too. I love to read in those and rest my feet on the footthingy that normally goes with them! Had two of those in my old flat and all guests were fighting for them to sit in

Will have to get one again. Thanks for reminding me.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Does Porcelein Count?
makes my legs fall asleep

we used to have a huge oversized rocker that I loved. unfortunately it was stolen from the family cabin. I would like something similar, wiggling and or rocking is a favorite activity of mine. I spend a lot of time sitting on an exercise ball at work, that is kind of ok. other than that I actually just go lay down as that is most comfortable
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
RVS78
Letter Puncher
RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
4 years ago, I bought a Milano chair with the ottoman at Target. Turned out to be very sturdy and extremely comfortable. It's oversized and plush, looks great too. Unfortunately, we had to leave it behind in a storage room (for now) for the move. Looking into getting one of those IKEA poang chairs as a temp substitute.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My current favorite is a tall task chair with arms. I paid maybe $200 for a new Sealy Posturpedic model (yeah, same as the mattress company) that really works for me. I was considering spending at least twice as much on a used Steelcase Leap, Herman Miller Aeron, or Humanscale Freedom.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote