Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Glare or reflection on sony prs 600 is confirmed

I purchased sony prs 600 from sonystyle 2 days ago and I confirm that prs 600 has more glare than any device I have seen and used so far such as kindle 1 & 2, sony 505 and astak, actually I could see myself in the screen at all angles and even comb my hairs and it proved to be distracting and interferes with your reading and forget about reading in daylight its quality goes down significantly.

I have shown it to my 3 coworkers and they all confirmed it. I don't know whats with sony making all great improvments in the device but screw up the screen as they did in prs 700. I am returning it today and taking 15% hit on return.

Newbie in ebooks who have sony 600 as their first device may not notice it though as they have not seen other screens.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
actually I could see myself in the screen at all angles and even comb my hairs and it proved to be distracting and interferes with your reading and forget about reading in daylight its quality goes down significantly.
I picked mine up yesterday and do not find it do be that bad. If I'm looking at a blank grey screen I can see my reflection but it is very blurry.

I also opened it while walking into work this morning and the clarity in direct sunlight was not a problem. I understand that everyone's eyesight is different but I do not have any of the problems or concerns you express.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please do not incorrectly use the term glare to mean reflection. The 600 does not have a glare issue. In fact, the the touch layer diffuses glare more so then a plain Vizplex screen.

What you are doing is using the term glare to mean reflection. And this will cause people who have not seen a 600 to think it has a glare problem when this is in fact, not true.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Regardless of what the angry looking penguin wants you to call it--glare or reflection--it is manageable. The key I've found is to provide a lot of light so the screen doesn't glare or reflect. An LED reading light works really well as does indirect sunlight. Just try to avoid a direct spot light on the screen. With my LED reading light I can simply tilt the reader very slightly to greatly lessen the effect of glare or reflection or whatever you choose to call it. Is it as readable as the Kindles or the 505 or 300? No, but it is a very good screen nonetheless. I would suggest trying several lighting/tilting techniques before returning it, especially if you are going to get charged a 15% restocking fee.

Let's see, the OED defines glare as: "[to] shine with a strong or dazzling light". The OED defines reflect as: "[to] throw back light without absorbing it". (It is actually the bending of the paths of photons. Photons are subatomic particles that sometimes exhibit wavelike properties and require particle physics to adequately define.) But who cares? The fact is that both glare and reflect can be used to describe the effect you are seeing.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Let's see, the OED defines glare as: "[to] shine with a strong or dazzling light". The OED defines reflect as: "[to] throw back light without absorbing it". (It is actually the bending of the paths of photons. Photons are subatomic particles that sometimes exhibit wavelike properties and require particle physics to adequately define.) But who cares? The fact is that both glare and reflect can be used to describe the effect you are seeing.
Whew! For a minute there I was afraid we were going to be evoking quantum entanglement. And don't forget no one ever accused Heisenberg of arrogance, he was always too unsure of himself. Actually Jack just wanted to say 73.
Paul N1SEZ
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Whatever you call it glare or reflection, its a distraction and I have used prs 505 in the past and can tell if screen is shiny or not, anyway I have returned it today. I wish if sony has done a good job with screen because new features they added are really nice and 600 is a piece of art. IMHO prs 505 has the best screen among all ebook readers
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Taboo
Taboo began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q, PRS 505, Asus T91
I agree, it's really distracting. I just purchased the prs 600 and really regret it, I'm planning on returning it tomorrow morning. I love the features and being able to take notes and stuff, but the glare or reflection is not worth it.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I couldn't resist a little humor. You'll have to forgive my quantum physics lesson. I'm currently writing a book on Near Vertical Incidence Skywave (NVIS) radio propagation, so ions, photons, and electro-magnetic waves in general are on my mind a lot these days.

But seriously, it is a problem for a lot of folks. I found a favorable, though certainly not perfect, solution that worked for me. I simply suggest to other new 600 owners that they try a few tricks before giving up. Afterall, 15% of $300 USD is quite a bit to eat, not to mention the shipping charges (if any).

Even with the screen being less than favorable, I think the 600 is much more usable than my Kindle 2 had been.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
yes im gonna wait for the technology to mature more and more and use the Kindle 2 for now. What i want is prs 505 screen with a a speedier chip. dont care for anything else.dont want glare. its glare ok glare. (on the 600)
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think this is going to be one of those issues that generates strong opinions on both sides. And I stress the word "opinions". No one's perception is going to be the same as anyone else's.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I think this is going to be one of those issues that generates strong opinions on both sides. And I stress the word "opinions". No one's perception is going to be the same as anyone else's.
Agreed. I have decided to quit defending the virtues of the 700, and just enjoy it.

Yes, I said 700!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #12
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
And I stress the word "opinions". No one's perception is going to be the same as anyone else's.
Yup...all subjective. We sell some used LCD monitors at our store. Sometimes one will have a 'bruise' on the screen. Some folks will look at that & say 'no big deal..can hardly see it', while others will say that they would forever be drawn to that spot & it would make them crazy. Everyone's different.....
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
all true but at the sony store i put the screen of the 500 next to 600 and just felt I was comprimising. I will leave comprimising to Obaman.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The issue here is the word glare. I use the word glare to mean the light bouncing back from the screen. I use the word reflection to mean how mirror like the screen is. And looking at the 600, it has more reflection and less glare then the 300/505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm waiting for someone to say "the glare on the PRS 600 killed my puppies"

(harkening back to some of the anti-DRM discussions we've had here)
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote