Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
We each have our little pecadillos...The glare doesn't bother me at all.

But then, I'm not a very sensitive person. I don't have a good sense of smell, so skunks or out houses don't offend me. (I also can't smell most flowers unless I stick'em right up my nose) I don't have a good sense of taste either, so I don't enjoy the nuances of flavors of things. (don't really see any difference between instant coffee & brewed, or diet soda & full calorie) Usually have sort of dirty glasses on, so a smudge on a screen doesn't bother me on a monitor, and the glare is something that I quickly (like 3 minutes) quit noticing.
Penny you slay me!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by civil View Post

This was like reading the Book of Job as written by Eeyore.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
alejandrolauva
alejandrolauva began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I just joined to throw my opinion of the 600 screen glare in the hat so bear with me on my first post.

I find the 600 glare issue to be less of a struggle depending upon the lighting your using it in. In particular it's less noticeable in diffused florescent lighting (i.e. at the office) than in direct incandescent lighting (i.e. at home). I believe every user's lighting situation is different so there are many different opinions on whether it is even an issue. That being said I've found two products that helped me to conquer my glare problem, or make it much more comfortable to deal with in all lighting situations. They are the Sony PRSA-CL6 lighted cover and the Lexerd TrueVue Anti-glare screen protector.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
I own both the PRS-300 and the 600. Since adding the above extras to my 600 I rarely use the 300 any longer. That is unless I need the extra portability of the 300 and not the 600's added features. That being said, the 300 beats the 600 in brightness and contrast hands down due to the absence of the touch screen overlay. If you don't need the features of the 600, then the 300 is much more comfortable to read in less than ideal lighting with no glare issues.
alejandrolauva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead, alejandrolauva.

New members are always welcome. Please look around the entire site (if you haven't done so already).

If you have any questions, find the correct Forum and ASK AWAY!

HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
This was like reading the Book of Job as written by Eeyore.
???? I'm also not very erudite
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #21
civil
This Tornado Loves You.
civil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Er, I don't know if I could explain it. But I enjoyed your post!

I just bought the PRS-300 and am returning the 600. Sharper, better contrast and significantly reduced glare. All the other stuff they threw in there trying to be some sort of Omni Device missed the boat, IMO. Already I can tell we're going to be great friends.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #22
alejandrolauva

Quote:
Originally Posted by civil View Post
I just bought the PRS-300 and am returning the 600. Sharper, better contrast and significantly reduced glare. All the other stuff they threw in there trying to be some sort of Omni Device missed the boat, IMO. Already I can tell we're going to be great friends.
Nice choice. I like my 600 for it's zoom ability on technical docs I use at work, and the dictionary is a plus for me but you can't beat the 300 for it's screen clarity and portability. I Hope you enjoy it.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #23
alejandrolauva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, alejandrolauva.

New members are always welcome. Please look around the entire site (if you haven't done so already).

If you have any questions, find the correct Forum and ASK AWAY!

HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)
Thank you Don. I shall.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #24
helenching78
helenching78 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 300
Do anyone have experience with a polarizing light on PRS 600?
I'm using one as my desk lamp. I have a PSR 300 and found the screen a little bit too small for comfortable reading. I'm thinking of getting a PRS 600 later and worried about the glare too.
helenching78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #25
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandrolauva View Post
That being said I've found two products that helped me to conquer my glare problem, or make it much more comfortable to deal with in all lighting situations. They are the Sony PRSA-CL6 lighted cover and the Lexerd TrueVue Anti-glare screen protector.
I am curious about how much the screen protector effects the touch screen capability?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
alejandrolauva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am curious about how much the screen protector effects the touch screen capability?
The bookmarking function sometimes gives me trouble but only when using a finger. It works fine with the stylus. I've not noticed any other issues.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #27
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
The glare really seems to be a personal issue with a lot of people. I think it can be "trained" away. I've been using a glossy-screened laptop at work and home for a bout 5 years now. I guess when I stare at it just right, I can see myself, buy my eyes are just trained to focus on the screen and not my image. When I got the 600, I had exactly 0 seconds getting used to using it. Yes, if I refocus and look, I can see a fuzzy version of myself, but when I focus on the text, I don't notice anything else.

I guess the simple answer is that anyone who has a problem with glare on the 600 is an irredeemable narcissist
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
civil
This Tornado Loves You.
civil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
I guess the simple answer is that anyone who has a problem with glare on the 600 is an irredeemable narcissist
Oh really?

Well then, explain this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
The glare really seems to be a personal issue with a lot of people. I think it can be "trained" away. I've been using a glossy-screened laptop at work and home for a bout 5 years now. I guess when I stare at it just right, I can see myself, buy my eyes are just trained to focus on the screen and not my image. When I got the 600, I had exactly 0 seconds getting used to using it. Yes, if I refocus and look, I can see a fuzzy version of myself, but when I focus on the text, I don't notice anything else.
I posit that not only are you a narcissist, but one of the most devious kind! One that uses subliminal messages to infiltrate the minds of others. Already I've used "terekkincaid" in more than one sentence today!

Dastardly, I say!
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #29
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I have a 600 and a 505 - while I love the 600's features, I've pretty much switched back to the 505 for reading novels. While the glare problem did depend on the lighting, the 505 screen is so much clearer, it 'disappears' while I'm reading.

I'll keep the 600 for those things, such as historical research or editing, where I need the dictionary and annotation features, but the 505 is much more enjoyable to read with.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #30
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I just want to toss my hat into this discussion. I had purchased the PRS-600 first because I was told that the glare and contrast wasn't noticeably different, or at least not very much. After spending 10 minutes with the PRS-600 I knew it wasn't the right reader for me, as the cloudiness of the words and seeing my own reflection constantly threw me out of the reading mood.

I went and picked up the 300 and I have to say I absolutely LOVE it. The contrast and clarity of the words is so much better, in my opinion, that I absolutely positively believe it's the better of the two readers as far as visuals are concerned.
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote