Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #181
wojewsky
wojewsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Great Tool! Thank you alot.

Could somebody make an extension for the Guilauncher to start the CollectionsManager?
wojewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #182
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojewsky View Post
Great Tool! Thank you alot.

Could somebody make an extension for the Guilauncher to start the CollectionsManager?
Searching for "launcher" in this thread is too difficult, eh?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...er#post2195514
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #183
wojewsky
wojewsky began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Searching for "launcher" in this thread is too difficult, eh?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...er#post2195514

sorry i've searched for guilauncher. Now, ive got it.

Thank you
wojewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #184
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojewsky View Post

sorry i've searched for guilauncher. Now, ive got it.

Thank you
Nevermind.

(I also added the info to the first post now.)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #185
KillerKlown
KillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with others

Hey, it's me again, sir Ask-a-lot
Is there a guide how to use Collections Manager?
Yeah, I'm too lazy to figure it out by myself...
KillerKlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #186
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
... and I'm too lazy to write a guide

Seriously, the commented screenshot explains everything that is needed, IMO. But yes, you are expected to figure out the details by yourself.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #187
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
little baby steps

Quote:
Three part guide to collection / file management:
  • Top Thing = list of things (possibly filtered)
  • Bottom Thing = other list of same things (possibly filtered)
  • Use one list to put stuff on other list.
  • Icons do what you might expect from the pictures.

That should do it.

three extra thoughts on other aspects that might not be 100% obvious.
  • I allowed it to arrange my collections completely and wiped the old ones, you might not want that.
  • Some settings apply to the devices as a whole. Show / Hide options for example. Expect that. "hiding applies to the home screen only (as the "documentation", and the menus, say). Hidden items do show up in searches and in collections - just not on the default home screen."
  • It can work with Calibre, in the way you might expect.
    (assuming one knows what that is)

Oh and:
To start it: Click the icon

HTH

Last edited by twobob; 10-18-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: errata non gratia ;)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #188
ixtab
(offline)

Thanks!

Just one correction:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
[*]Some settings apply to the devices as a whole. Show / Hide options for example. Expect that.
Nope - hiding applies to the home screen only (as the "documentation", and the menus, say). Hidden items do show up in searches and in collections - just not on the default home screen. (If you're curious, Amazon internally calls it "isVisibleInHome".) Otherwise, "tree-like" collections wouldn't work anyway.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #189
KillerKlown
KillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with others

Ok, thanx guys, I think I got it now.
BUT! How does one simply make a collection WITHIN a collection?
Let's say I want to seperate an Author's Novels from Short Stories. Then what?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #190
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Ok, thanx guys, I think I got it now.
BUT! How does one simply make a collection WITHIN a collection?
Let's say I want to seperate an Author's Novels from Short Stories. Then what?
The "create collection" button will place the newly created collection in whichever collection is showing in the TOP pane. (Yeah ok, that *was* undocumented )
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #191
KillerKlown

Perfect!
No further questions your honor!
I rest my case.
Thx, ixtab.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #192
ixtab
(offline)

Redundant information

Just so that everyone notices it... I have updated the first post with some of the information requested in the last few posts, and with some other not-so-obvious info. This is copied straight from the first post:
  • Long-tap any item to see which collections it is contained in.
  • When using the "Create Collection" button, the newly created collection will be placed in the collection which is showing in the top pane.
  • Collection names must be unique. In other words: you can't have two collections with the same name. If you try to create a collection with a name that already exists, or try to rename a collection so that its name would conflict with another one, the operation will silently fail.
  • Fun fact: you can create infinite recursions, by including collection A in B and B in A
  • To integrate Collections Manager with the GUI Launcher and/or to hide Collections Manager from the Home Screen, see this post.
  • On the Kindle Touch, the search bar disappears if the device enters sleep mode and wakes up again. There is no known workaround, but you could just actually use the device, so that it doesn't enter sleep mode ... or simply restart the application.
  • On the Kindle Paperwhite, the search functionality is completely disabled for the time being.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-19-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #193
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab:

There's a few minor cosmetic issues with the UI on the PW (that I somehow missed, even if aceflor already mentioned some of them ^^).

* The Kindle Store menu item isn't removed (I vaguely remember you mentioning something related to the menu, so you're probably aware of it).
* The menu layout is slightly different on the PW, so we end up with a scrollable menu here. That seems to confuse new users/people who've never seen the full menu on a Touch. To help with this (and to start bouncing a few ideas around), why not fold the mutually exclusive options controlled via a radio button into a single one (for each couple), that would save a bit of vertical space, at the expense of a slightly more twisted wording .
* Said mutually exclusive radio buttons fall victim to a small cosmetic glitch: when you enable one, the other one isn't updated: you end up with the two buttons filled up on screen. (The actual stuff the option control works, and if you close/open the menu, only the 'right' one is properly selected, so, purely cosmetic glitch).

With a few snapshots to illustrate .

Other than that, it works as well as on the Touch, so, again, thanks .

I don't know if it's specific to the PW, but I also see a bunch of warnings in the logs @ startup:

Code:
121023:172124 cvm[1537]: W CellContainer:Warning::Could not remove cell, no cell contained the given component
121023:172124 cvm[1537]: W CellContainer:Warning::Could not remove cell, no cell contained the given component
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_23T17_21_42+0200.png
Views:	425
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	94743   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_23T17_21_53+0200.png
Views:	398
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	94744   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_23T17_22_18+0200.png
Views:	406
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	94745  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #194
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab:

There's a few minor cosmetic issues with the UI on the PW (that I somehow missed, even if aceflor already mentioned some of them ^^).

* The Kindle Store menu item isn't removed (I vaguely remember you mentioning something related to the menu, so you're probably aware of it).
* The menu layout is slightly different on the PW, so we end up with a scrollable menu here. That seems to confuse new users/people who've never seen the full menu on a Touch. To help with this (and to start bouncing a few ideas around), why not fold the mutually exclusive options controlled via a radio button into a single one (for each couple), that would save a bit of vertical space, at the expanse of a slightly more twisted wording .
* Said mutually exclusive radio buttons fall victim to a small cosmetic glitch: when you enable one, the other one isn't updated: you end up with the two buttons filled up on screen. (The actual stuff the option control works, and if you close/open the menu, only the 'right' one is properly selected, so, purely cosmetic glitch).

With a few snapshots to illustrate .

Other than that, it works as well as on the Touch, so, again, thanks .

I don't know if it's specific to the PW, but I also see a bunch of warnings in the logs @ startup:

Code:
Thanks for the detailed report!

I'll put this on the TODO list... but I guess there won't be a new version before I finally get my hands on a PW
Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #195
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
ixtab

I confirm written NiLuJe about the Paperwhite.

+ It's necessary to exclude processing of external dictionaries folder:
/mnt/us/documents/dictionaries/

Folder contents automatically joins to built-in collection "Dictionaries".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_25T10_22_48+0400.png
Views:	396
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	94858  

Last edited by kaznelson; 10-25-2012 at 03:04 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks