Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Target to stop carrying Amazon Kindle

From The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/2/299...ct-of-interest

Quote:
Since Target stores began selling Amazon's Kindle line back in 2010, the devices have always appeared to do well; the Kindle Fire was even the retailer's best-selling tablet during Black Friday last year. It appears that's about to change, however, with a source telling us that the company is going to stop carrying the line of products due to a "conflict of interest." According to an internal Target memo we've received, the company will be removing Amazon hardware from its locations starting this month. Certain accessories will remain in stock, but shipments of Kindles themselves will cease as of May 13th.

While several brick-and-mortar stores we contacted still had the devices in stock, a quick search through Target's online store reveals that Amazon's e-readers have already vanished, and the Kindle-branded online store comes up entirely empty. As of this writing, it's unclear what the nature of the cited conflict of interest is, but it should be noted that Apple recently partnered with the retailer for a small number of "mini-stores" earlier this year. Whether the Kindle move is related — or has implications for Target's own e-reader ambitions — still remains to be seen.
In another thread, someone noticed that at least one other Target no longer had Kobo devices. Could be a trend...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Apple made Target an offer they couldn't refuse.

Didn't Amazon provide the infrastructure for Target's online store at one time? Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you.

Oh well, no big loss. I buy my Kindles from ChinaMart.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Apple made Target an offer they couldn't refuse.

Didn't Amazon provide the infrastructure for Target's online store at one time? Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you.

Oh well, no big loss. I buy my Kindles from ChinaMart.
I get mine with free two day shipping from Amazon and no sales tax. Also have a 3% (think that is the number) all the time price reduction by using an Amazon credit card. How can Target compete with that especially now that Walmart is carrying Kindle also?

There is a lot more profit to be made from selling an Apple product that has a 30 to 50% mark up.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Do Target sell physical books?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I get mine with free two day shipping from Amazon and no sales tax. Also have a 3% (think that is the number) all the time price reduction by using an Amazon credit card. How can Target compete with that especially now that Walmart is carrying Kindle also?

There is a lot more profit to be made from selling an Apple product that has a 30 to 50% mark up.
Amazon collects sales tax in Washington, so it's cheaper and faster for me to buy Kindles from Walmart when they're on sale.

I get my iDevices from Best Buy when they're on sale.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

True for now. But eventually I have a feeling that sales tax will be charged for anything we buy online. I think they day is coming. So it wont be much of an incentive in the future.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
If you are saying that Target can't compete with Amazon, I have the Target red card, which comes out of my checking account and gives me 5% off of everything in the store (much like your Amazon card, with a slightly better return and debit rather than credit), and then gives 1% of all my purchases to my kid's school. And I have no shipping costs, and the sales tax is worth it to me because I have absolutely no patience. So, the prices would not be all that different. Although, to be honest, this is purely an intellectual exercise, since I have no interest in a Kindle (not anti-Kindle; I just have other devices I am more than satisified with).

Two other thoughts from other posts: yes, Amazon does fulfill Target's online sales, and I agree; the day is coming when Amazon will be charging sales tax to all of us here in the US.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Do Target sell physical books?
Yes.
They may be looking to get out of the ebook reader retail business.
Or looking to start selling their own branded reader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
Two other thoughts from other posts: yes, Amazon does fulfill Target's online sales, and I agree; the day is coming when Amazon will be charging sales tax to all of us here in the US.
Target cut ties with Amazon in August 2011.

I pay sales tax to Amazon (NY State) and it sucks but I must say, it didn't really decrease the amount of shopping I do at Amazon.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Also, it's OT but the NY Times had a really fascinating story about Target's data analytics group (aka, How Target Knows You're Pregnant Before Your Family Does):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/ma...pagewanted=all

Because I have seen people get pissy about NY Times links around here, here is a Forbes story that covers the Times story and quotes from it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...er-father-did/

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
/me starts looking over the clearance shelves at Target
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
Which they should have done ages ago.
Amazon is just as much a competitor to Target as they are to WalMart and Sears.
Things go best for us (consumers) when competitors...well, compete.

Wouldn't want them to get too cozy and start making backroom deals to raise prices on us, would we?

(The DOJ is already busy enough as is.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I didn't realize they had cut ties with Amazon. I was aware they were holding hands and such, but never knew they broke up last year.

I figured it was coming, though. Just never paid attention to that too terribly much.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes.
They may be looking to get out of the ebook reader retail business.
Or looking to start selling their own branded reader.
I wonder if iRiver changed their contract with Target. The Story HD was a Target exclusive, but hasn't sold very well compared with the Kindle, and from what I gather the two were usually stocked close to each other, with the Story HD's markdowns rarely being shown.

Not a very nice way to treat your exclusive, no?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Hmm, I was at a Target on Saturday, doing a wedding registry, and they still had sony, kobo, and kindles, with no signs anything being removed. They did have a giant aisle though for all things iRelated.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote