Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PW On-Screen Keyboard: Using the line above the keys?

Hi:

Regarding the Paperwhite 5.8.7 on-screen keyboard:
Is there a way to put values in the text line above the actual keys, that is used in Amazon's own Apps for word suggestions?

I am looking into ways to improve the usability of the gargoyle interactive fiction interpreter, and would like to place cursor-key commands there (like: cursor:left; cursor:right).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	155248  
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another question: is there a way to enable these word suggestions for your own app? When using the keyboard with gargoyle, this text line simply is empty. Is it known (i.e. Is the API known) how Amazon is able to put word suggestions there?
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 AM   #3
pete330
Connoisseur

Bump: anyone? Even a starting point or example code you know of would be helpful. It would be great if I could use this to offer word completion for gargoyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete330 View Post
Bump: anyone? Even a starting point or example code you know of would be helpful. It would be great if I could use this to offer word completion for gargoyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Received by Linux using a whole lot of things.

Have you been looking/reading the de-compiled *.jar files?
I haven't had the time.
IIRC, I posted a *.jar decompiler that will run on your Kindle.
Hmm...
Maybe in the JBpatch re-visited thread? (I think that is the only occasion I had for decompiling the entire Amazon run-time application).

There is an "Attachment Search" feature on this forum, but I keep forgetting how to get into it, otherwise I would look for the link to it myself for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
pete330
Connoisseur

PW On-Screen Keyboard: Using the line above the keys?

My findings regarding the word prediction line of the virtual K*ndle keyboard:

It is enabled by setting the last value (called "flag" in the below template) of the keyboard activation command to 1:

lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.keyboard open <destination>:<mode>:<flag>

Example:
lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.keyboard open net.my.stuff:abc:1

However, AFAIK, the K*ndle apps do not manipulate the word prediction line based on actual app content. As described in the K5 hacking wiki, only libpredictor.so is used for typing prediction.

This makes it less useful for use in an interactive fiction interpreter.

The communication between keyboard binary and app is done via lipc. The app has to implement these lipc properties:

[root@kindle root]# lipc-probe -v com.amazon.kindle.inputMethod
w Str keyboardSetPreeditString
w Str keyboardReplace
w Str keyboardGetSurround
w Str keyboardCommit
w Str keyboardDelete

I have not yet determined how all of these properties work (i.e. how they have to be formatted in order to work). But:

-keyboardCommit expects simply the string to append to the input line of a lipc-ready app.

-keyboardDelete expects a string like '4:0', which means that 4 chars will be deleted from a lipc ready app. I don’t know yet what the number after the colon means. But it has to be there.

In order to determine how the others work, I plan to implement callbacks for these properties in the app to find out what the keyboard actually sends.

Anyway, I am doubtful that such a static word prediction based on a predefined library (libpredict) would be helpful in an interactive fiction app. My original goal/intention was to put words there, that are actually part of the descriptive text of the game, or part of the command history of the player.

Last edited by pete330; 06-07-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
pete330
Connoisseur

For documentation purposes: This code answers some of the questions of how to integrate the native Kindle keyboard word prediction into apps:
https://github.com/t123yh/kindleinput-qt