Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Thank you enclosed - Build a better eBook store!

Hi everyone!.

12 months ago, I couldn't find a decent choice of ebooks for my shiny new PRS-505, especially over here in Ireland & the UK. Initially depressed, I decided to do something about it.

In recent months I have launched www.directebooks.com as a solution. Ireland's first eBook store, we have over 190,000 titles available worldwide, no geographic restrictions. We have pdf, eReader, MSreader and ePub(over 7k) available. We are partnering with goodreads.com for reader's book reviews and inkmesh for price comparison.

But this is not a sales pitch! I am looking for some help from everyone here. I want to make the site the frendliest, easiest to use eBook store on the net. Already, some Mobileread-ers (I'm thinking of JSWolf, Ea, Wenn and Bookrat, Pwarren to name a few) have given me some great suggestions, some of which I have already put in place.

So help me, help you! Any and all suggestions are welcome. In return, I'll organise a special offer for all mobileread-ers at the end of the month!

P.S. I will let you know in advance that because I use a wholesaler, I currently have no control over the information I receive about the books - number in series, synopsis etc. This prevents us making major changes in this regard. his will hopefully change in the coming months as we implement new technology. Also, DRM is currently a neccessary evil

Last edited by Direct Ebooks; 10-23-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I didn't notice a search by publisher. This can be useful at times.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur
MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Direct Ebooks,

Would you like to be included in our price comparison site?
http://ebooks.addall.com/
MetaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I could not find a search by price, I always search by price as anyone that charges more than about 3 $/€/flavian poble beads per book is basically ripping of readers.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Hi Metatags.
I'm always interested in talking to anyone we can work with! Feel free to pm me to get your details. thanks!
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Covers seem to be loading faster than before. One can usually click on the cover go get "More details".

On your "Special Offers on DirectEbooks.com" page the "Reader" column, I believe, should be labeled "Format". It would be nice to be able to click on the column titles "Title", "Author" "Reader" and sort in that order.

I like ePubs, but prices seem extremely high for us North American users and the 10% just doesn't make a sale for me.

The Sony line should also mention the PRS-300/600 if you intend to be an international site.

Still looking....

Ken
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
A few remarks

1. Series.
I'd love to know if a book is part of a series and which volume it is. I know, you said you have no control over the information you have, but still, I find that such an important feature, I'll just mention it anyway. Besides, if enough people mention it, you've got a better reason to make sure you get that information!

2. Browsing.
I like the current setup of browsing, except that I keep clicking on the cover to see the book details.
Also, you show 50 titles. Considering the size of those pictures, I'd make the amount configurable by the user. Somebody with a slower connection (or computer) might have problems loading all 50 books. The amount of books in a colum should change too so that with a full page, all rows are completely filled.
A last thing, do you use the full-sized images for the thumbnails? Some make my browser very slowly!
It would be nice if I could see at first glance what format the book has.

3. Searching. You have the categories on the left, perfect! But, it would be nice if the sub-categories could also be chosen without having to go the search page. Plenty of options in the search screen.
I like how you can chose completely different categories at the same time!
Some books are appearing twice in my search result. (Dayspring Destiny by Berry, Jeanine is one)

One last point: in the book list, I'd expect to be able to click the author to get a list from that author. Now I need to click the book, go to the last tab and only there can I click the author.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmark View Post

I like ePubs, but prices seem extremely high for us North American users and the 10% just doesn't make a sale for me.
Thanks Ken.
Another handicap us europeans have is that eBooks attract state tax @21.5%! This is crazy when you think regular books have no tax on them, but that is the way it is!
Bearing all this in mind, we try to be as competetive as we can, but if you see a particular eBook you are interested in, we ware more than happy to have a look at matching the price. Just email us or use the livehelp on the site.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Thanks Ken.
Another handicap us europeans have is that eBooks attract state tax @21.5%! This is crazy when you think regular books have no tax on them, but that is the way it is!
Bearing all this in mind, we try to be as competetive as we can, but if you see a particular eBook you are interested in, we ware more than happy to have a look at matching the price. Just email us or use the livehelp on the site.
Ohh, the difference is even larger with you! We pay 6% on pbooks and 19% on ebooks...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I have a couple of questions. Have you considered adding a Paypal option? I have a card that you can't use over internet, so I use Paypal instead.
One more thing, can you pick the currency you want to pay in?
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Search feature is very important. Make it real easy to use.
* For the simple/default search don't make the user click on Author or title to do a search. The engine should be smart enough to search both fields.
* For advance search it is okay, even expected that these fields should be split up.
* For advance/basic add a key word search. Sometimes we're looking for a type of book not a specific book.
* Add a "Book Format" filter for the advance search.
* Not crazy about the way books are disaplayed the Icon template is just too big. It wastes a lot of space
* Make a FireFox search for your web site.

* Reviews are important,
* Price can you make it local, I don't think in Pounds.

* Are all your books DRM? If not add a icon or text to indicate the book has DRM and what flavor of DRM.

Well that's all for now

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Instead of listing books as PDF encrypted, you have them listed as Adobe Digital Editions. ADE is NOT a format. It's the software from Adobe to view these PDF. Fixing this will save a lot o user confusion as to ePub or PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
I have a couple of questions. Have you considered adding a Paypal option? I have a card that you can't use over internet, so I use Paypal instead.
One more thing, can you pick the currency you want to pay in?
Hi. I am looking into paypal at the moment, but there may be problems as our checkout ties in with the downloads. For example, for ereader downloads, you need the encrypted credit card number of the customer to download the ebooks after the purchase, but we are looking into it.
The final price charged is the euro amount displayed. This is converted by your card into the equivalent US amount, so often you will get the ebook cheaper than advertised!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur
MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Your front page cover images are too heavy for me, the total file size of that 8 cover images is >3MB! That's too heavy for most users.
MetaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Instead of listing books as PDF encrypted, you have them listed as Adobe Digital Editions. ADE is NOT a format. It's the software from Adobe to view these PDF. Fixing this will save a lot o user confusion as to ePub or PDF.
Hi again.
I did actually change this on your recommendation yesterday! Its showing up my end - maybe you're looking at an older cache?

thanks for the suggestion!