Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
brontus
Enthusiast
brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, Kindle Fire, Aldiko on LG Optimus Elite
Calibre doesn't detect Kindle Fire on XP... why?

I know that Calibre will not detect the Kindle Fire or Android devices on XP. At first I thought it was just because of the MTP driver, but I installed that. Reading more, I've learned that Calibre simply doesn't support MTP devices on XP, regardless of the driver.

However, none of the support threads explain why. They usually just point to the Calibre FAQ for more information. Of course, the FAQ doesn't contain any more information on the topic other than saying it is only supported on Vista & newer and Linux.

I was wondering if there is a specific technical reason for this or a design decision of simply not wanted to support an older OS? If it is a technical reason, is it a fundamental limitation, or something that can be fixed but no one has volunteered to do so?
brontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Are you sure? Check under PREFERANCE setting in Calibre & make sure you Fire is VISABLE! I had to do that with Win 8... Once visible I had no problems.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
MTP support on XP is (was) very unreliable. During testing it fell over dead frequently, causing calibre to fail. Kovid decided that rather than try to support something that doesn't work and he can't fix, getting no end of bug and failure reports, calibre wouldn't even try.

The same thing is true with Mac OS.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
brontus
Enthusiast
brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, Kindle Fire, Aldiko on LG Optimus Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
MTP support on XP is (was) very unreliable. During testing it fell over dead frequently, causing calibre to fail. Kovid decided that rather than try to support something that doesn't work and he can't fix, getting no end of bug and failure reports, calibre wouldn't even try.

The same thing is true with Mac OS.
Thanks for the answer. I wonder if I could go through the code and get it to try. I know I'd be on my own for support then and couldn't install updates, but it can't be any less of a hassle than having to sideload everything until I get my income tax return check in April and am finally able to upgrade.
brontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontus View Post
Thanks for the answer. I wonder if I could go through the code and get it to try. I know I'd be on my own for support then and couldn't install updates, but it can't be any less of a hassle than having to sideload everything until I get my income tax return check in April and am finally able to upgrade.
You are certainly welcome to try. Instructions for getting and installing calibre's source code are available at Setting up a calibre development environment.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert