Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
confused about external memory

I did read the userguide but maybe I'm just not getting it.

For the external memory I know there is a SD slot and a Duo Media slot but can have have 32 gig per card? 32 gig total for both cards and what exactly is the difference between the two.

TIA
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Yup, 32GB per card.
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
Yup, 32GB per card.

Thanks ..now hopefully someone can explain why there are two different types on the 650
Old 10-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sony always have a memory stick slot, because that's the format that they invented. However, recently they've started also providing an SD slot, which people can actually buy reasonbly-priced media for. Many Sony cameras also have dual memory slots for the same reason.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony always have a memory stick slot, because that's the format that they invented. However, recently they've started also providing an SD slot, which people can actually buy reasonbly-priced media for. Many Sony cameras also have dual memory slots for the same reason.
Now that makes sense thanks for the clarification..is one more desirable to use over the other?
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
Now that makes sense thanks for the clarification..is one more desirable to use over the other?
Yes. Nobody's excited about Memory Stick except for Sony Whereas SD is cheaper and read by just about anything.
Problem is, I remember seeing a thread on how PRS-650 isn't really comfortable with large collections. It can get pretty slow and freeze every now and then when there's a few thousand books on a card. So don't get too excited
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post
Yes. Nobody's excited about Memory Stick except for Sony Whereas SD is cheaper and read by just about anything.
Problem is, I remember seeing a thread on how PRS-650 isn't really comfortable with large collections. It can get pretty slow and freeze every now and then when there's a few thousand books on a card. So don't get too excited
LOL I'll try not too...that was exactly my problem with bogging down the HD of our last laptop..
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
that was exactly my problem with bogging down the HD of our last laptop..
I think the secret is to rather bog down the laptop HD (which is somewhat harder to achieve with just ebooks) than the reader or the memory card inside the reader. I mean, it seems that the reader software needs to index whatever books are on its cards, and its processing power is still rather limited. Besides, it's not like you going back in time all the way to Jurassic period so you need a life's supply of reading (you'd run out of battery anyway)
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
I think the secret is to rather bog down the laptop HD (which is somewhat harder to achieve with just ebooks) than the reader or the memory card inside the reader. I mean, it seems that the reader software needs to index whatever books are on its cards, and its processing power is still rather limited. Besides, it's not like you going back in time all the way to Jurassic period so you need a life's supply of reading (you'd run out of battery anyway)

I think i better invest in a external HD just in case I think my husband who has seen my mad reading skills will worry otherwise..As it is he has to buy me at least two more bookcases by December or we'll be sleeping with the books..

He is hoping the reader will minimize the damage

Thanks for the help & explanations
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
jjw
jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.jjw for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Iphone, PRS-650
Quote:
Yes. Nobody's excited about Memory Stick except for Sony
I'm excited because I can reuse my old PSP memory stick
jjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw View Post
I'm excited because I can reuse my old PSP memory stick
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #12
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Tried with about 650 ePub on SD. It took around 4-5 sec to scan them. That's awesome compared to the previous PRS devices.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
It appears that there are many that download ANYTHING and EVERTHING just to put as much as they can on their readers.

I bet that there are a bunch of teenage boys who read nothing but manga. But with a couple of thousand harlequin romances mixed in to their collection downloaded from the dark net.

I prefer to keep between 100 -130 books on my reader, and I'm not even close to using the full capacity of the reader. I do have a more ebooks than that. But I use Calibre to manage what is on my reader, what I want to add to the reader, and what books have been read.

So if you don't have a compulsion to load as many books as possible, I wouldn't worry about more memory now. Give it some time. You can always add more memory later when you find that you REALLY do need 25,000 books on your reader.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
It appears that there are many that download ANYTHING and EVERTHING just to put as much as they can on their readers.

I bet that there are a bunch of teenage boys who read nothing but manga. But with a couple of thousand harlequin romances mixed in to their collection downloaded from the dark net.

I prefer to keep between 100 -130 books on my reader, and I'm not even close to using the full capacity of the reader. I do have a more ebooks than that. But I use Calibre to manage what is on my reader, what I want to add to the reader, and what books have been read.

So if you don't have a compulsion to load as many books as possible, I wouldn't worry about more memory now. Give it some time. You can always add more memory later when you find that you REALLY do need 25,000 books on your reader.
i have 30 books loaded now but more on my laptop ..so good so far

BTW how do you manage books just on Calibre? I've been using Calibre, the sony software and ADE...quite confusing at times lol

Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
If you download DRM books from Sony then you use their software to manage those books.

For everything, other than DRM books, you might want to look into Calibre.
Calibre
and
Calibre - Frequently Asked Questions

Although Calibre can do a lot, you only need to learn a little to do 90% of what you'll want to do. If you find that you need to do more, you can learn it as you need to.

Basically, Calibre, is a way to organize, and load, books on your reader. But with Calibre you can also set up categories that mean something to you. Not just what a programmer set up. And, no, you do not need to do any programming at all. You just add a column and name it what you want.

What I've added (to the program on the computer) are;
READ - where I can put a check mark if I've already read it.
and
BOUGHT FROM - this helps me to bo back to the place I bought it in case I want to write a review, or download it again.

And there is a lot more, but start out easy.

One of the things I miss is the info on the back of the book jacket or back cover. Now you can add that as the second page of your ebook. Just wait till you have a lot of books on your Sony. And you will. It's hard not to add more and more.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote