Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
lol@mjh215!

I find the Sony library good for reading ebooks on the screen (I like the option of reading fullscreen,2 pages at a time, something Adobe doesn't even offer on their PDF readers!)
And then there is that it's currently my only program installed that reads LRF files on my comp.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:59 AM   #17
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I had to give it "some" points because...

1. It is the only way to buy ebooks from the Sony book store... as bad as the store is.

2. It will pre-index ebooks during transfer so you don't need to wait for the reader to do it.

BOb
1. I wish I could buy from the Sony book store Can anyone provide a green card, paid flight halfway around the world, residential address in the US and a credit card with billing address to match?

2. True. Now all we need is a Sony snitch so we can move that feature to calibre..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #18
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
This has been suggested to Kovid and he is not against the idea but says he has other things he would rather add first. He does accept patches so you are welcome to add a "don't reorganize my library" type option to the software I'm sure he would integrate it.
BOb
I'm very picky about my library, and while I tried using Calibre's GUI/Database it just doesn't work for me. As a workaround, you can bypass using Calibre's GUI and instead use Prs505 File Manager. This allows you to continue to use Calibre's essential console utilities while bypassing the unwanted library reorganization. The program is a little rough around the edges, but I'm finding it to be quite usable. But yes, a Calibre "do not reorg my library" switch would be preferable.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm very picky about my library, and while I tried using Calibre's GUI/Database it just doesn't work for me. As a workaround, you can bypass using Calibre's GUI and instead use Prs505 File Manager. This allows you to continue to use Calibre's essential console utilities while bypassing the unwanted library reorganization. The program is a little rough around the edges, but I'm finding it to be quite usable. But yes, a Calibre "do not reorg my library" switch would be preferable.
So you don't use the PRS 505 GUI? Because if you did it is still storing your ebooks in a database. The difference with calibre is that the "database" also consists of the file system. In both versions calibre was storing a copy of your book somewhere. However, as has been said about, it doesn't touch your current book or move it, or delete it.

BTW: You can install calibre and only use the command line utilities also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #20
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
So you don't use the PRS 505 GUI? Because if you did it is still storing your ebooks in a database. The difference with calibre is that the "database" also consists of the file system.
Um, Ok. Obfuscate much Bob?

Quote:
BTW: You can install calibre and only use the command line utilities also.
I thought I said that.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I thought I said that.
Sorry I read your message wrong. I thought you were saying you were using an older version of calibre because it didn't re-orgnaize your files. I didn't realize what Prs500 File Manager was.

I'll be over here in this dark corner cowering if you need me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #22
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
I'll be over here in this dark corner cowering if you need me.BOb
Please come out!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #23
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... In both versions calibre was storing a copy of your book somewhere. However, as has been said about, it doesn't touch your current book or move it, or delete it....

BOb
Problem here is that you have to select one directory for both the IN and OUT,meaning the organized and non organized library (choose which one of the two is organized according to you).

Meaning that in my organized library, Calibre will start reading, and copying the files to that same directory.
It's not like I can say:"Organize them to/on my SD card",or so...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #24
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Problem here is that you have to select one directory for both the IN and OUT,meaning the organized and non organized library (choose which one of the two is organized according to you).

Meaning that in my organized library, Calibre will start reading, and copying the files to that same directory.
It's not like I can say:"Organize them to/on my SD card",or so...
Yes, you can. You open the Configuration button on the right of the search field past the reset, and you set the location. This would be your 'OUT' and the internal library for calibre. Your 'IN' can be from selected from anywhere when Importing titles. I have a books directory with a rather intricate hierarchy myself, only about a quarter of which are destined for the Sony Reader. So I keep a seperate spot for calibre's database and books which I store on a USB HD.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #25
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I have a large library on my pc of pdf books of all sorts of styles, and writers.
And it seems like one program has managed to completely mess up the directory structure of my library!

Right now hundreds of directories have been created with names of authors, and all kinds of crap, which literally pisses me off, and I can only think of 2 programs that could be responsible for this mess!

1- Calibre
2- Sony reader Library...

Man, I'm surely PISSED OFF! Now hundreds of pdf's are not in the folders they where supposed to be!
I never agreed on rearranging (or messing up) my library!

And I want to know which of the 2 is responsible!

If it would be Calibre, I would very strongly urge to remove the auto arrangements, as it has brought me in a mess which will cost me several several and several hours of more work to place everything back again!!!!!

Needless to say the program responsible for the mess will immediately be removed from my computer!

I was so hesitant to install anything on my pc, even the Sony Library;since I don't like modifications to my already wonderful and speedy working OS.
It seems my cautiousness was not enough to protect me from an even greater disaster!

I will probably spend several days re-organising my library once again,that is, if I still will find in which folders all documents originally belonged.

Consider this as a serious complaint against one of the 2 programs!
I have no problem any program accessing my collection,however modifying it without prior notice is not an option!

*Edit: I found out (to my great displeasure), it is Calibre who re-organized my library. Pitty,because I did use the feeds the program offered! As soon as Calibre offers an update that will allow the user to make clear that it can not modify any books or the structure of the library, I might reconsider re-installing the program again.*
Man oh man. Is it possible to deduct Karma?
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #26
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Why? You didn't even give me any
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #27
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
That's basically what I do. May take a little extra time but it works.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kovid wuz here