Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which books are your picks for the April 2014 MobileRead Book Club selection?
Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser 7 20.00%
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 10 28.57%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 16 45.71%
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum 13 37.14%
The Twelve Chairs by Ilya Ilf and Eugine Petrov 5 14.29%
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder 7 20.00%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 7 20.00%
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe 8 22.86%
The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 8 22.86%
Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is the winner for April. Although you can get the traditional version free from MobileRead's Patricia Clark Memorial Library in several versions, I recommend the Uncensored Version if you can find and afford it. Amazon is still selling it for $2.84, which is, for whatever reason, way below what everyone else is charging.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #17
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
The uncensored version is at Kobo for .99 but I had to actually enter "uncensored" in my search. My original search produced many versions, but none uncensored.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would like to read the long version. Does anyone have a link to a PD free ebook?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
The uncensored version is at Kobo for .99 but I had to actually enter "uncensored" in my search. My original search produced many versions, but none uncensored.
It's not .99 for me. What region are you in?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It's not .99 for me. What region are you in?
Canada
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would like to read the long version. Does anyone have a link to a PD free ebook?

Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "long version", but I doubt you'll find The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and edited by Nicholas Frankel in the public domain.

Quote:
Previously unpublished and copyright-protected material from the typescript of The Picture of Dorian Gray copyright © 1962, 2000, 2011 by The Estate of Oscar Wilde Additional content copyright © 2011 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #22
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by the "long version", but I doubt you'll find The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and edited by Nicholas Frankel in the public domain.
I doubt, too, that it is easy to find for free, but it actually is public domain in many countries!
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
I doubt, too, that it is easy to find for free, but it actually is public domain in many countries!
I don't see why the text of the original uncensored manuscript should remain in copyright anywhere. In this country unpublished anonymous works, pseudonymous works, and works made for hire are protected for 120 years from date of creation. That would cover those unpublished portions of The Picture of Dorian Gray until 2010, but the estate still claims an ongoing copyright, which is claimed on "the typescript of The Picture of Dorian Gray." Did Oscar Wilde use a typewriter? I don't believe very many were in use in the late nineteenth century. If it's a typed script from a handwritten original not available to the general public, then it's the typed script which is copyrighted, at least in the United States and those countries that adhere to international copyright treaties such as the Berne Convention. The only other way I see they could still lay claim to copyright is to say that some unpublished portions were written after 1883, which I don't believe they do. So as I said, the original uncensored manuscript should be out of copyright, but good luck getting your hands on it to make a copy. I suspect the heirs of Oscar Wilde guard it with great vigilance.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To clarify: I meant that the text of The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, as edited by Nicholas Frankel, is public domain in many countries! A lot of countries do not grant extra protection for new or newly edited texts once the works of an author are in the public domain. Switzerland, for example. And for those countries it is entirely irrelevant if Mr Frankel claims copyright in the US.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
To clarify: I meant that the text of The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, as edited by Nicholas Frankel, is public domain in many countries! A lot of countries do not grant extra protection for new or newly edited texts once the works of an author are in the public domain. Switzerland, for example. And for those countries it is entirely irrelevant if Mr Frankel claims copyright in the US.
That's great. Being as the man's been dead now since November 1900, it's about time. U.S. copyright laws do not favor the reading public. We can thank Disney for the fact that our copyright laws are so Mickey Mouse.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm not sure either.

Looking at wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray, there was a version published in 1890 (with some controversy) and later an 1891 version. It looks like the 1891 version was longer (but changed to make it less controversial).

And than, I assume, there is the "Frankel" version.

Being a pragmatist, I have to eliminate the Frankel version: it is still under copyright in the U.S., so it can not possibly be a "classic" yet.

Never mind. I see that the MR copy is the longer version.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
pynch
why in?

From what I understand, it had already been changed for the 1890 magazine publication and then further “toned down” but expanded for the 1891 book publication. Frankel’s edition gives the text as handed to the magazine by Wilde.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From what I understand, it had already been changed for the 1890 magazine publication and then further “toned down” but expanded for the 1891 book publication. Frankel’s edition gives the text as handed to the magazine by Wilde.
Rereading wiki, I think you are correct.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...Being a pragmatist, I have to eliminate the Frankel version: it is still under copyright in the U.S., so it can not possibly be a "classic" yet.
Yes, you are a devil!

Quote:
Never mind. I see that the MR copy is the longer version.
That's good news. Of course, it isn't the uncensored version.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am going to read the MR version. Despite the fact that the uncensored version may be the more complete version it isn't the version that became a classic. Of course the frugal (CHEAP) part of me has a large say in that. I have already spent my Amazon book settlement money.

I do look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on the new version. Hopefully someone with enough knowledge of the times will be able to chime in and say if they think the unedited version would have been popular enough to become the classic that we have today. That is, if they had released the uncensored version back in 1890 would it have become a classic or would it be mostly forgotten now?
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote