Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Sigil won't launch on WinXP

I have been using Sigil for a few months.
Yesterday when I tried to start it it just failed to launch.
In Process Explorer I see it start then exit a second later.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it.
Rebooted the PC.
I had 0.72, tried 0.74 and the same result.

I have Avast AV, but don't think that is the problem, I turned it off briefly and Sigil still failed to open.

Possibly there has been a Windows update since I last used Sigil (I know XP has recently stopped updating).
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Alan, did you try the portable version (just to see if it works)?

For example: (http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABL.../X-Sigil.shtml)

Last edited by Arios; 04-29-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Alan, did you try the portable version (just to see if it works)?
Thanks.
Same thing: process runs for a second or two then exits without ever opening a window.

I had already deleted the Local Settings\Application Data and Sigil temp folders (though they probably don't affect the portable version).

I'm assuming that some Windows service or feature can't be found, I wish the damn thing would tell me what it needs.

Last edited by AlanHK; 04-29-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just in case its not the lack of something, but instead its the presence of something, trying running it Safe Mode

Also try running sfc ==>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Just in case its not the lack of something, but instead its the presence of something, trying running it Safe Mode

Also try running sfc ==>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

BR
Same problem in safe mode.
Tried to run sfc, but it aborts, "RPC Server is unavailable"
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try deleting the sigil.ini file.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Try deleting the sigil.ini file.
Hilarious.
It told me there was no ini file, created a new one, (identical to the original) then exited.
Restart and it just aborts after a second as before.

[Comment deleted - See member's comment below. - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I am afraid you will have to type them until you reach a certain number of posts. They seem to be a very recent feature to discourage spammers.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Same problem in safe mode.
Tried to run sfc, but it aborts, "RPC Server is unavailable"
my XP memory bank is rusty, but if you wanted to run sfc you could go into the Services Manager (I think its in msconfig) and start any RPC services that aren't running. But IIRC sfc was a bit of a hit and miss affair on XP.

Other than that, and reinstalling XP, I'm out of ideas. Unless you want to consider installing calibre and using its editor, you do have to install the full package, but the editor can be used independently of the library manager.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
my XP memory bank is rusty, but if you wanted to run sfc you could go into the Services Manager (I think its in msconfig) and start any RPC services that aren't running. But IIRC sfc was a bit of a hit and miss affair on XP.

Other than that, and reinstalling XP, I'm out of ideas. Unless you want to consider installing calibre and using its editor, you do have to install the full package, but the editor can be used independently of the library manager.

BR
I was using both Calibre and Sigil until this happened, Sigil has some features that Calibre doesn't and vice-versa.

Sigil is the only program I'm having issues with. Going through several days of tedium reinstalling everything with no guarantee it would work at the end isn't attractive.

I just wish Sigil would give an error message so I had somewhere to start.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Hilarious.
It told me there was no ini file, created a new one, (identical to the original) then exited.
Restart and it just aborts after a second as before.
Just delete the sigil.ini. No need to recreate the file, the program will do that. If there is a small mistake in the ini file, the program can crash. So, if you create a new one identical, the problem may still be in there.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I just wish Sigil would give an error message so I had somewhere to start.
Did you check the event viewer?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Just delete the sigil.ini. No need to recreate the file, the program will do that. If there is a small mistake in the ini file, the program can crash. So, if you create a new one identical, the problem may still be in there.
That's what I did, as I said. The program recreated the same ini file as had been there before. (I actually renamed the original so I could compare.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did you check the event viewer?
Yes, no mention of Sigil at all, or any event at the time I tried to run it.

Last edited by AlanHK; 04-30-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You are trying with different books, just in case you got a bad one? Or launch Sigil from the Icon (with no book).

Have you run Hardware checks on your system? Sigil (and Calibre) can be a little demanding of resources at times. Memtest86+ and a drive test are good to do from time to time

The most common culprit is still an 'update' of security software, followed by: 'Helper' utilities
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are trying with different books, just in case you got a bad one? Or launch Sigil from the Icon (with no book).
Just trying to open the program, no book at all.

Quote:
Have you run Hardware checks on your system? Sigil (and Calibre) can be a little demanding of resources at times. Memtest86+ and a drive test are good to do from time to time
My PC is 6 months old and overpowered for most things I do.It handles 1080p video and Photoshop etc. all fine. And Calibre does run okay.

Quote:
The most common culprit is still an 'update' of security software, followed by: 'Helper' utilities
Yes, but I tried safe mode with all security software inactive and still couldn't run it. Anyway, when my AV or firewall does block something it tells me.

I suspect some Windows resource (dll, etc) that Sigil needs has gone missing somehow. But I can't work out which.

Is anyone else running Sigil on XP?