Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
prhammer
prhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Add a space after periods

I have an ebook that I am converting from epub to mobi for my Kindle. I have been able to get it edited like I want using Sigil, but have one little irritation. Throughout the entire book there are no spaces after the periods. Is there a way to either do a search and replace or some other fomatting that would add a space so that sentences done run together?

I tried a simple search and replace for the . and then replacing with . and then a space. In Sigil it stopped responding, when I did that in the convert it just went haywire.

I'm sure there must be some way to do this, but I haven't figured it out. Perhaps there is a way to alter the css?

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't edited many books before.

-Ron
prhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
calibre search + replace should work but has to be done very carefully because . = wild card (any character ) in regex.

so I think you search for \. and replace with . ( followed by space)

it should also work in sigil - sometimes "stopped responding" goes away if you wait a while
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
prhammer
prhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
thanks! I thought there might be a problem just searching for the period - but didn't know how to indicate it properly. I will give that a try when I get home.

I had wondered if I just needed to give Sigil more time, but got nervous after 10 minutes or so. Although searching for every period in a book is a pretty major search!

Thanks,
Ron
prhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
[QUOTE=prhammer;1536694
I had wondered if I just needed to give Sigil more time, but got nervous after 10 minutes or so. Although searching for every period in a book is a pretty major search!

Thanks,
Ron[/QUOTE]
as a test you could limit the find /replace to current file only in sigil & see if it completes + how long it takes.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote