Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
Have you tried -webkit-hyphens on the actual device? Because it does work in Kindle Previewer, and I would hope that they used the same version of GTK WebKit....
KindlePreviewer is utterly unreliable. It often shows support for formatting not available on the actual devices and vice versa.

On eInk Kindles soft-hyphens work, but automatic hyphenation does not work no matter what hypenation style you use. You may want to test Kindle books on actual devices or the Kindle for PC app before making blanket statements.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
Because it does work in Kindle Previewer, and I would hope that they used the same version of GTK WebKit....
You know what they say: hope in one hand... crap in the other... see which one fills up first.

I may be wrong about the Kindle for iPhone app. It may not support auto-hyphenation at all. I don't have a device to test it on.

For that matter, I'm not even really convinced that the Kindle Fire's (or any of the other eInk devices') KF8 reader/renderer is based on WebKit. The Silk Browser is definitely based on WebKit, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
On eInk Kindles soft-hyphens work, but automatic hyphenation does not work no matter what hypenation style you use. You may want to test Kindle books on actual devices or the Kindle for PC app before making blanket statements.
I didn't make any blanket statements, first, and second, I noted that it does not work in Paperwhite (eInk) previewer mode (unless I deleted that part in editing). I'm not sure why you thought I was talking about those.

[Edit: looks like I deleted my snarky cheap shot at Kindle Paperwhite preview mode's bugfest in editing. So I just said that it worked in Fire and Fire HD previewer modes, and left the rest to implication. ]

Last edited by dgatwood; 02-08-2013 at 12:56 AM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #19
JeremyBenson
Writer and Blogger!
JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyBenson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
I don't actually have a Kindle device of my own, I use Kindle for PC. It seems to work quite well. I've yet to solve letter spacing, but I'm not sure exactly what can be done about it, lol.
JeremyBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBenson View Post
I don't actually have a Kindle device of my own, I use Kindle for PC. It seems to work quite well. I've yet to solve letter spacing, but I'm not sure exactly what can be done about it, lol.
It's not letter spacing. It's word spacing and you cannot solve it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I just wanted to add a couple of points. Don't trust the Kindle Previewer. It usually works ok for the Kindle Fire modes, but all of the rest of the modes are broken in various ways.

The KF8 HTML/CSS renderer is based on the Webkit browser. That's a fact. There are lots of features that are undocumented by Amazon, but work just fine. In my production process, I prefer to run the book's text through a hyphenation algorithm and insert soft hyphens (which doesn't require jailbreaking, it will work on any KF8 capable Kindle), but it doesn't surprise me that -webkit CSS feature works.
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ockham View Post
I just wanted to add a couple of points. Don't trust the Kindle Previewer. It usually works ok for the Kindle Fire modes, but all of the rest of the modes are broken in various ways.

The KF8 HTML/CSS renderer is based on the Webkit browser. That's a fact. There are lots of features that are undocumented by Amazon, but work just fine. In my production process, I prefer to run the book's text through a hyphenation algorithm and insert soft hyphens (which doesn't require jailbreaking, it will work on any KF8 capable Kindle), but it doesn't surprise me that -webkit CSS feature works.
Please, don't add the soft hyphens if you are planning on selling these eBooks. All it is going to do is bloat the size of the KF8 and possibly screw up the Mobi. Most people won't be bothered by not having the soft hyphens. And given that the PW has less memory then previous models, it's just wasting that memory to have the soft hyphens.

Of course, if they are for your own personal use, that's fine for you to do whatever it is that you like.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #23
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please, don't add the soft hyphens if you are planning on selling these eBooks. All it is going to do is bloat the size of the KF8 and possibly screw up the Mobi. Most people won't be bothered by not having the soft hyphens. And given that the PW has less memory then previous models, it's just wasting that memory to have the soft hyphens.

Of course, if they are for your own personal use, that's fine for you to do whatever it is that you like.
Bloat? Really? Have you measured the increased file size? What no one will notice is the increased file size. As for the difference in the appearance, it is a striking improvement, especially for folks who like to use a larger font size. Those huge rivers of whitespace running through Kindle books may not bother you young folks, but plenty of older folks need this.

And, Kindlegen has been removing the soft hyphens from the old .mobi format since version 2.4. But, I test my books just to be sure.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
How does searching work with soft hyphens?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
William Ockham
Enthusiast

Soft hyphens don't affect search at all. I've tested this extensively.