Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
ohIdon'tknow
ohIdon'tknow began at the beginning.

Location: The People's Republic of... to be honest, now that you ask, it seems to have entirely slipped my mind... oh well!
Device: kobo Aura One, Samsung tablet, Necronomicon - extra evil version
KSM GUIDE CONFUSION

Hello Everyone,

I‘m having a little trouble following the Kobo Start Menu (& koreader) install guide. I'm trying to follow a guide where the years of accumulated amendments and assorted postscripts have largely discombobulated its step-by-step clarity. With a confusion that does nothing to becalm the nerves of this very cautious noob. Some bits really don’t make much sense to me, and I find some steps a little too vague and open to potentially disastrous misinterpretation. Which is why I was hoping that someone could help me clear up a few points.

Being a big fraidy-cat I’ve decided not to launch straight in to installing Koreader on my Kodo Aura One. I’ve instead spent £10 on a used Kobo Mini which I’ll use for a test run.

First thing I did was reset and then update the Kobo Mini. The Mini is now running the 3.4.1 firmware.

1. I then connected it to my Ubuntu PC so I could walk-through the process. However, I found myself stumped when looking for the .adds folder – the KSM 09 destination for Koreader. A ctrl + h revealed the .kobo, .kobo-images, .adobe-digital-editions hidden folders, but .adds is nowhere to be seen. Should I create the .adds folder myself or does it appear after after the KoboRoot.tgz is added to .kobo?

2. The guide’s recommendations begin with a suggestion to prepare your PC for usbnet. The next two recommendations suggest disabling wifi with changes to a .msh file. Does the first point imply that this change will be made via the webinterface, or is it via the e-reader screen? Or do I have to dig around for config files and set at them with my text editor. Sorry if this a stupid question but I’ve never used KSM or Koreader before. And I've also never used usbnet with linux: another hurdle I'm hoping to avoid.

Any help and guidance much appreciated.

Thomas
ohIdon'tknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohIdon'tknow View Post
seen. Should I create the .adds folder myself or does it appear after after the KoboRoot.tgz is added to .kobo?
It will appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohIdon'tknow View Post
2. The guide’s recommendations begin with a suggestion to prepare your PC for usbnet. The next two recommendations suggest disabling wifi with changes to a .msh file. Does the first point imply that this change will be made via the webinterface, or is it via the e-reader screen? Or do I have to dig around for config files and set at them with my text editor. Sorry if this a stupid question but I’ve never used KSM or Koreader before. And I've also never used usbnet with linux: another hurdle I'm hoping to avoid.
The "Recommendations" are concerned with what you might do after you have installed KSM 9. At that point you might better understand what the instructions refer to. There is nothing said about changes to a .msh file. "Selecting" means here "identifying the menu entry with the name XYZ and touching it with the tip of your finger."

If you don't want to use usbnet, this is fine too. It is just one more means to interact with the device.

Last edited by tshering; 10-12-2018 at 05:01 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
ohIdon'tknow
ohIdon'tknow began at the beginning.

Location: The People's Republic of... to be honest, now that you ask, it seems to have entirely slipped my mind... oh well!
Device: kobo Aura One, Samsung tablet, Necronomicon - extra evil version
Thank you. I'm about 57% less nervous now.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh about the guide. I'm grateful that it exists at all. Though if you are thinking about a tidy up, it could be useful for first timers like me to have something with the 1,2,3,4 simplicity of Ken Maltby's (unfortunately outdated) 2014 tutorial.
ohIdon'tknow is offline   Reply With Quote