Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
JinRoh
JinRoh began at the beginning.

Device: ¿Cybook / Hanlin / Sony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
First of all there is no need for jailbreak

just use data.tar.gz from this post with the RUNME.sh you created (copy both of them to your Kindle then restart )

After restart you should see a folder named screensaver in your Kindle
Thanks! Sadly it is still not working. Not sure why.

I copied both files, restarted and the data.tar.gz dissapeared. However, no folder is created (and the screensavers remain the same).

Kindle 4.0
JinRoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Let's try again.

use the attached RUNME.sh (this time you don't need to data.tar.gz)
Attached Files
File Type: zip RUNME.zip (263 Bytes, 2292 views)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
JinRoh
JinRoh began at the beginning.

Device: ¿Cybook / Hanlin / Sony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Let's try again.

use the attached RUNME.sh (this time you don't need to data.tar.gz)
Wow! Now I have 2 new folders:

screensaver
SCREEN~1

and RUNME.out now has content (unlike before)

Now I need to figure out how to actually include screensavers.

Thanks a ton

EDIT: Working correctly. Thanks!!!

Last edited by JinRoh; 03-14-2012 at 05:35 PM.
JinRoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
Nyoxi
Connoisseur
Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Oops... I see on closer inspection that you are writing to the root partition, in which case you may need the "mnrtoot rw". [...] I think that the "mntroot ro" is not necessary because RUNME.sh runs early in startup and the root partition goes back to "ro" mode in a later startup script, but it does not hurt to put it back in there just to be sure.
I know it's not related to this thread but since it appeared here I add my word of advice to everyone. Do not rely on something else to do "mntroot ro" for you. If you want to keep your root filesystem clean do it yourself as soon as you're finished modifying. Moreover if you do that during boot. The upstart scripts have tendency to pollute the root filesystem (strangely even to the point of preventing subsequent boot).
Nyoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoxi View Post
I know it's not related to this thread but since it appeared here I add my word of advice to everyone. Do not rely on something else to do "mntroot ro" for you. If you want to keep your root filesystem clean do it yourself as soon as you're finished modifying. Moreover if you do that during boot. The upstart scripts have tendency to pollute the root filesystem (strangely even to the point of preventing subsequent boot).
I was not aware of the root pollution by upstart scripts. It seemed to me that because a RUNME.sh script can be called from a number of different locations, and you do not know if the partition was already writable without testing for it. If you make it ro when the startup code that indirectly launched RUNME.sh is expecting it to be rw, that could be a problem unless you check for rw first (touch /junk; [[ -f /junk ]] && rm /junk && echo "already rw"). How future firmware updates react if the rw status changes under them could be a problem.

Also, it seems counterintuitive to me that startup scripts would write junk to root while ro, or the script could fail and take down upstart.

I suppose the safest thing to do is check for rw (like above) and only do the "mntroot rw; ... other code ...; mntroot ro" if it *was* ro to begin with.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-15-2012 at 08:51 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Wow! Awesome!

Thanks guys for transforming my question into such a wonderful discussion!

OK, so now we have a tested RUNME.sh (the one in post 17 by Thomass) and it does not even need the data.tar.gz to be run...

So, I just copy it to the root folder, then I restart the Kindle...

Then, all that's left to do is to copy the screensaver images... interesting! Pretty great!
Thanks again! I'll try that immediately!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
screensaver hack for K4NT

moved to a dedicated thread

Last edited by thomass; 04-09-2012 at 04:43 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote